Antifoul a Necessity ?

Sprake

Visit site
I'm thinking of taking a seasonal mooring on the West Coast of Wales for my boat which has until now been trailored back and forth.

Can you advise on whether antifoul is necessary on a boat that I can guarantee will come out of the water for a good scrub up now and again ?

I know it's little to go on, but once having spent a week in the harbour, the only thing "stuck" to the boat was a faint diesel stain along the water line.

I'd be greatful if you could advise on whether there are any other things to look out for or precautions I should take when considering a mooring ?

Thanks in advance.

<hr width=100% size=1>Neil

MarkJohnson

Visit site
Here in Swansea, I find that antifoul applied one year will last at least two years with a scrub off mid term.

Not sure how that differs to West Wales though.

I think that if you are in the water for more than few weeks, antifoul is advisable.

Hope that helps.

Mj

<hr width=100% size=1>

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The mooring lines that I left in the water whilst our boat was in the yard being refitted have about 100mm (4 inches) of weed, barnacles and growth on them. All the space of less than three months.

This is in the rich (ecologically speaking) waters of the Westcountry - Tamar river to be precise.

I think it depends on where the boat is - and what the water is like. Some water is much more prone to growth than others.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ChrisJ

Visit site
I am thinking about whether to anti-foul the dinghy. It lives out of the water all year on a trolley. It is towed behind the yacht and is well used for 3 or 4 weekends a year and for 5 or 6 weeks in the summer. This is enough for growth to start to appear.

<hr width=100% size=1>

LORDNELSON

Visit site
Keep my GRP dinghy (tender) afloat during the summer on the River Hamble. It is not antifouled, but is hauled out on to my pontoon when I am away sailing. I suppose the dinghy is afloat about 4 months of the season. At the end of the season the dinghy is hauled out, bottom scrubbed and a few hard barnacles knocked off. If you can scrub your boat half way through the season I do not see any reason to antifoul unless you are in water which supports a very aggressive weed growth - why not try for the first year without anti-fouling?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Canboria

Visit site
This <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.safeboatskin.co.uk/>this</A> may be of interest to you.

<hr width=100% size=1>