Anti-foul recipes

CPD

Visit site
Has anyone tried mixing copper powder and chilli powder into a standard anti-foul paint to see if it makes any difference to performance ?

peter60

Visit site
you dont need to add coper but if you add chilly powder at about 10% by volume it does make a difference

tjbrace

Visit site
I added lots of Chili Powder to my Cruiser Uno last season. Very pleased with the results - no mid season scrubs. used about half kilo CP per 3 litre can of paint.
Paint had a pink tinge, not too bad as colour was black. Gave a textured finish which is not ideal, but I had no time to flatten it. Using a different mix next season but still have 8 kgs of Industrial strength Cayenne pepper left over.
The oysters around the boat came out 'Ready Tabaso'd'

pvb

Visit site
Research...

Paint manufacturers spend a fortune on research into antifouling performance. I can't help thinking that if doing something as simple as mixing in a bit of chilli powder made any real difference, they'd already be doing it and selling it.

CPD

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The two troubles I can see with that is that it may curdle the paint, and it's almost certainly illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

What aspect of it do you think is illegal ?

johnalison

Visit site
There are some pretty strict rules on many chemicals. You're not actually allowed to spray your roses against greenfly with washing-up liquid because it is not an authorised use and hasn't been tested.

Spuddy

Visit site
This chile powder thing first appeared in an April edition of one of the sailing comics some years ago. So it was originally a spoof but could there really be some truth in it ? It's just, maybe just, credible enough.

Evadne

Visit site
As Kermudgeon says, the biocides that the paint manufacturers are allowed to use are well regulated in the UK, so allowing paraquat (or whatever) to leach into the water through your homebrew antifouling would probably be viewed in the same light as you deliberately pouring it into the water of the creek/marina/wherever. You may not get caught doing it, but it's not nice. I like theidea of all those Mexican barnacle with a taste for chillie flavoured antifoul, though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regarding other additives, I recall TCM posting his description of adding copper powder to hard antifoul. I believe it was moderately successful but I never read his post on the results after a season or two in the water. Not sure how well it would work for a sailing boat that spends most of her time stationary (like mine), copper is really there for the fauna, you still have to deal with the flora.

Aeolus

Visit site
Releasing small doses of antibiotic into the environment is incredibly irresponsible and reckless. That is how superbugs like MRSA etc. have evolved. Don't know if it is illegal but in my book it should be a capital offence.

warrenmarkus1

Visit site
Chillie powder worked for me in a deep water mooring in Plymouth.
The fact is many anti foulings these days simply do not work as expected, and the only way to get the manufacturers to improve their products is if we all stop buying their products. I am looking into using a household paint system (bathroom paint) mixed with chillie powder over my useless Seago Hard antifouling. I am sure fishermen in the Far East, India,etc do not pay £30-40 per litre that 'hi tech' rubbish we call anti fouling /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Spuddy

Visit site
Good point re 3rd World fishermen. I'd guess that they scrub when necessary on sandbanks etc; no need a/f and quick and cheap cos no need for hoists and cradles if there's no deep keel. No substitute for first hand knowledge though, so wonder if any well travelled forumite can enlighten us.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Where\'s my soapbox?

At the risk of some Fred Drift:

Why is there different antifoul for commercial shipping and yachts?
More pesticides in commercial AF?
If so, why are only yachts supposed to be "green"? Do we pollute more?

Guapa's antifoul (Hempel Hard) when applied by previous owner lasted 3 - nearly 4 - seasons before it needed re-doing.

I found it very hard to get.
Finally traced it at a rip-off price of €150 (£100) for 5 litres.

On the tin it said: For warships and commercial vessels only

Why??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It works brilliantly - so why aren't we supposed to use it?

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Re: Where\'s my soapbox?

Legislators have come to the conclusion that commercial vessels spend less time in port and more time in open oceans so the effect of the more powerful fallout has less damage the near useless products we are forced (By legislation) to use.

Avagoodweekend......