Antares 760 passenger seating - help please

JAH

Visit site
I am tempted to buy a Beneteau Antares 760 except that it lacks forward-facing seating beside the single helmseat. In my search I found that such seating is commonplace in many similar boats, and a very welcome facility.

I have tried to figure-out a retrofit design, but failed due to the geometry of the existing wheelhouse seating.

Has any 760 owner managed to do this ? Please let me know if you have - photos or sketches would be particularly welcome.

Thanks

Plum

Visit site
I have one but drew a blank on such a conversion as I could not find a solution that also enabled the wheelhouse seating to remain convertible to a bed. Otherwise, there are many possibilities:-
alternative seating.jpg

JAH

Visit site
Thanks for that, Plum - very interesting - I hadn't thought of that - any more alternatives to offer ? I too would be reluctant to remove the 'convertible' option.

If the whole dinette were raised a bit, then the swing-over backrest solution could work, I guess, but raising all the seats like that would put the centre of gravity up when occupied.

seasick

Visit site
I am tempted to buy a Beneteau Antares 760 except that it lacks forward-facing seating beside the single helmseat. In my search I found that such seating is commonplace in many similar boats, and a very welcome facility.

I have tried to figure-out a retrofit design, but failed due to the geometry of the existing wheelhouse seating.

Has any 760 owner managed to do this ? Please let me know if you have - photos or sketches would be particularly welcome.

Thanks
Thanks for that, Plum - very interesting - I hadn't thought of that - any more alternatives to offer ? I too would be reluctant to remove the 'convertible' option.

If the whole dinette were raised a bit, then the swing-over backrest solution could work, I guess, but raising all the seats like that would put the centre of gravity up when occupied.

seasick

Visit site
I am reluctant to post a negative reply but my experience was that SWMBO soon got fed up with not facing forward. The best compromise solution I saw was to insert a Stool in the gap between navigator seat.. A 760 owner in MDL Chatham showed me his . The size of the stool ie footprint is difficult to find but one could make or modify one. The small space prevents the stool moving.

JAH

Visit site
I found this alternative on another 128708226gallery_wm.jpg136245173gallery_wm.jpgboat for sale online - not sure how the bench seat works though. For comparison, the standard arrangement of the woodwork is shown in the second photo.

Plum

Visit site
This concept has potential in that a bed could be created by having a hinge-up long flap that increases the width of the long seat for sleeping. Then, in the configuration in the photo, there may just be space for a single pedestal column, like the ones supporting the table, just ahead of the table, with a seat mounted on it that partially overlaps the long seat below.
Antares 760 modified saloon 2.JPG

Last edited:

Pleinmont

Visit site
I struggled with this myself...

For some reason I don't have any photos of the current setup but I have removed most of the forward seat base and back panel (all the flip up bits), added a bench seat over the passenger foot well, added an infill along the side and bought a smaller table.
Will take a few pics next time down there.
It makes the saloon feel bigger with virtually a booth seat and can still sit round the table but no, doesn't give you a navigators seat (works for us but doesn't help you in this situation)

Unless you take out nearly all the forward seating and put in a decent high pedestal chair you won't get what you want. But then you have lost your fore/aft bench and maybe the table.

All a compromise on a 25ft boat!

JAH

Visit site
This concept has potential in that a bed could be created by having a hinge-up long flap that increases the width of the long seat for sleeping. Then, in the configuration in the photo, there may just be space for a single pedestal column, like the ones supporting the table, just ahead of the table, with a seat mounted on it that partially overlaps the long seat below.
View attachment 125284
Thanks for that - I think that arrangement looks good. I was looking at photos of an Antares 9, and it has something similar. The idea 'has legs' as one says these days. I have a boat in my sights, and I feel confident that the problem can be resolved one way or another, thanks to you lot on YBW, so I'll go for it if it hasn't been - when I get my hands on it, I' ll do some measuring and sketch some potential designs.
I struggled with this myself...

For some reason I don't have any photos of the current setup but I have removed most of the forward seat base and back panel (all the flip up bits), added a bench seat over the passenger foot well, added an infill along the side and bought a smaller table.
Will take a few pics next time down there.
It makes the saloon feel bigger with virtually a booth seat and can still sit round the table but no, doesn't give you a navigators seat (works for us but doesn't help you in this situation)

Unless you take out nearly all the forward seating and put in a decent high pedestal chair you won't get what you want. But then you have lost your fore/aft bench and maybe the table.

All a compromise on a 25ft boat!
I look forward to seeing those pics :)

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I thought the passenger was supposed to ‘perch’ on the back of the seat to see forward, hence the space and top cushion. A seat there would be too low. The PO of mine created more deck space by doing away with the gap and shortening the seat, hence more room and bigger table but no saloon berths and still no forward seat. Mrs JD either stands, sits on the rear forward facing seat or….nicks my chair and steers ?

38F0C9C2-AE10-463C-806D-50B51FA34529.jpeg

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Looking at that photo, I would say that you need to be sitting on the table to see out of the windscreen. So that is where I would start. One of those chairs with no legs perched on the table
I wouldn't fancy that . However a seat fitted to one of the table pedestals might be a solution of sorts.

Bouba

Visit site
I wouldn't fancy that . However a seat fitted to one of the table pedestals might be a solution of sorts.
I know it sounds crazy, but the designers of the new Beneteau Swift Trawler 35 put a cushion on the kitchen counter top and called it a forward facing seat