Another VAT Question

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Croatia has a digital nomad visa for 12 months but I believe they want you to pay tax. If you are working on your boat 90days in Greece, 90 days in Croatia, 90 days in Italy and then 90 days in Turkey will circumnavigate Schengen and all tax problems. If / when Croatia joins Schengen the 90 days in Montenegro. Or 90 days in Tunisia 90 days in Shenghen and then back to Tunisia or 90 Days in Turkey 90 days in Schengen etc etc. Not very hard.
That does not satisfy 90/180.

Also, you will not escape all tax problems. You will be tax resident somewhere.
You are already tax resident somewhere, and they usually will not let you not be tax resident without proof that you are tax resident elsewhere.

st599

Visit site
The Spanish "non-lucrative residence visa" is basically a long stay visa but you cannot earn an income from Spain, but you can continue to work in your native country.

According to SchengenVisaInfo - many embassies say you're not allowed to work at all. Best to check. They are meant to be creating a digital nomad visa.

Star-Lord

Visit site
That does not satisfy 90/180.

Also, you will not escape all tax problems. You will be tax resident somewhere.
You are already tax resident somewhere, and they usually will not let you not be tax resident without proof that you are tax resident elsewhere.
90 days Greece 90 days Turkey 90 days Israel or Italy and 90 in Tunisia and you are sorted. Loads of options with Montenegro, Albania and Morocco. As for tax... If you are UK citizen and you leave UK with no 'ties' ie a house and stay away for at least 2 years then you are no longer a tax resident. If you spend less than 180 days in a country then you are not a tax resident. Many digital nomads are non resident anywhere, there is a whole industry built on being 'non resident'. You do need to tell your accountant the date of your departure from the UK so they can tell HMRC.

AndersG

Visit site
Spain has a double taxation treaty with the UK, which means all I have to do on my income is pay my standard tax in the UK. Nothing more even if I'm working from a boat, or apartment, in Spain. Not including moving of assets or taxes on assets. Not researched that enough to know what the stance is there.
The double taxation treaty will say where you should pay taxes on your income. I've not read the UK-Spain treaty but I've worked in many countries and all of the tax treaties that has affected me has said that income from work is taxed where I am resident. Investment income except for government bonds are also usually taxed where I'm resident.
Lots of people ignore the rules. Lots of people get away with it but if caught it will get expensive with tax due, penalty and then interest on it all.

Frugal

Visit site
Can anyone tell us if you've been charged matriculation tax, which we have.
Being Spanish residence from February, had the boat in Spain since 2016 & stupidly were not aware of it, customs boarded us in Spain where our boat is & too late to apply for exemption etc, will they give time to pay over a certain period or do we have to pay in full in 1 lump sum?
Any idea how long before we get the bill. We were boarded 2/9/22?

steveallan

Visit site
Can anyone tell us if you've been charged matriculation tax, which we have.
Being Spanish residence from February, had the boat in Spain since 2016 & stupidly were not aware of it, customs boarded us in Spain where our boat is & too late to apply for exemption etc, will they give time to pay over a certain period or do we have to pay in full in 1 lump sum?
Any idea how long before we get the bill. We were boarded 2/9/22?
Best to talk to a customs authorised agent who can check the online database and pay the tax for you. If your class of boat is not on the database then you can declare a value . Be aware that there can be a penalty if the customs believe you have under valued it.

billskip

Visit site
I've found the Spanish authorities very helpful if you keep them informed, if you do nothing and wait, that will normally end up with fines and interest added.
I would go to them and ask for time to pay and discuss the situation asap.