Another fuel gauge question

Colin K

Visit site
Hello,
Another post prompted me! I have one of my tanks that now reads full (and hard against the full stop)
It started this about three weeks ago. I have done a good few miles since it started doing this and have filled up again too. I have checked the contacts in the sender unit and they are ok and not shorting.
I know nothing about tank senders but presume they have a float ? Wonder if these get stuck and whether my symptoms are typical of one thats "broke". Boat is a fairline built 1989.

Cheers, Colin.

David2452

Visit site
It may be stuck but that happens less frequently than you may think, if you can remove it and test the resistance if not stuck it should (being a European boat) read 10Ω empty, 95Ω half & 180Ω full. If those readings are obtained and the float is not stuck then suspect the gauge or cabling.

Colin K

Visit site
It may be stuck but that happens less frequently than you may think, if you can remove it and test the resistance if not stuck it should (being a European boat) read 10Ω empty, 95Ω half & 180Ω full. If those readings are obtained and the float is not stuck then suspect the gauge or cabling.

Thank you on board Friday and Saturday I will take my meter.

Cheers, Colin.

Martin_J

Visit site
Indeed... just as David has said above.

Unfortunately with these European systems, if one of the cables from the sensor becomes broken or simply makes a bad contact then the gauge will see infinite resistance. .. .i.e. closer to the 180 ohm than the 10 ohm and the gauge will show full.

I do wonder why we don't use the US system which would show an empty tank with a bad connection.