Another 90/180 Question

Laser310

Visit site
So.., what about someone that has say a British and an American passport?

Obviously, that doesn't entitle them to more than 90 in 180..., but, will the system catch them if they use both passports?

My interest is strictly academic...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I say the problem would be that if your passport stamp you would have to leave the EU then return and stamp in with your other passport.
At the moment you probably get away with it.
Although new rules coming in .

billskip

Visit site
So.., what about someone that has say a British and an American passport?

Obviously, that doesn't entitle them to more than 90 in 180..., but, will the system catch them if they use both passports?

My interest is strictly academic...
I think the system knows...its if something goes wrong, like driving or illness it will be flagged.

Shaddickp

Visit site
You would say you would definitely get away with it if your 90 days was split over more than 1 visit into and out of Schengen, using different passports for each trip. In fact since the 90 days has been brought in (2 years now), in year 1 I went 1 week over the 90 days and this year (year 2) I went over 3 weeks, on a single passport over multiple trips into and out of Greece. The border police do not bother to do the sums on your visits into and out of schengen (using the date stamps in your passport). Now that might just be Greece, as they are 1) Keen for tourists to spend as much money as possible and 2) they have no centralised database of your visits which would automatically flag up your overstay and 3) they are supposed to be introducing a tourist visa that would permit staying more than 90 days.

st599

Visit site
You would say you would definitely get away with it if your 90 days was split over more than 1 visit into and out of Schengen, using different passports for each trip. In fact since the 90 days has been brought in (2 years now), in year 1 I went 1 week over the 90 days and this year (year 2) I went over 3 weeks, on a single passport over multiple trips into and out of Greece. The border police do not bother to do the sums on your visits into and out of schengen (using the date stamps in your passport). Now that might just be Greece, as they are 1) Keen for tourists to spend as much money as possible and 2) they have no centralised database of your visits which would automatically flag up your overstay and 3) they are supposed to be introducing a tourist visa that would permit staying more than 90 days.

The EES central database which uses biometric data at the entry ports is due to go live next year. It will be a Schengen wide system not a country by country system.

Entry-Exit System

Sailfree

Visit site
Wonder if it will effect us as Portugal residents on UK visits as we usually return by car via Spain/Santander but arrive France/Caen so that we can visit friends that live in Brittany.

Anyone know whether we will have to log in/out of France and Spain in our drive to and from Portugal with this new system otherwise we could cheat and stay in say France and Spain for a greater period than permitted! - not that we would want to as we want to be in our house in Portugal.

billskip

Visit site
Wonder if it will effect us as Portugal residents on UK visits as we usually return by car via Spain/Santander but arrive France/Caen so that we can visit friends that live in Brittany.

Anyone know whether we will have to log in/out of France and Spain in our drive to and from Portugal with this new system otherwise we could cheat and stay in say France and Spain for a greater period than permitted! - not that we would want to as we want to be in our house in Portugal.
I think this schengen is all about catching the nasty people, all others will be ok until a hiccup occurs and they get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time

billskip

Visit site
You don't really think that it's going to stop the drug or people smugglers.
Where there a way there a will .
No it won't stop much at all.
It's about control and knowledge of people's whereabouts.
The squares you see at road junctions, the little circuit in the passport, all the cameras, computers controlling vehicles, phones.
They dont need a system like entry /exit ..they know all that already when you buy your travel documents...this is way way above and more intricate.

dgadee

Visit site
I think this schengen is all about catching the nasty people, all others will be ok until a hiccup occurs and they get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time

Criticism is that the nasty people can travel from one country to another after or during criminal enterprises.

Bouba

Visit site
Criminals always have greater latitude of movement than honest folk who are confined by the letter of the law

billskip

Visit site
Criticism is that the nasty people can travel from one country to another after or during criminal enterprises.
Agreed, this is a slow process.
It was never intended that we woke up one morning, opened the curtains and the world had changed.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

As a resident, you will be exempt from ETIAS and nothing will change when travelling through other countries, you'll still have your 90 days.