Anodes....which type ?

Momac

Visit site
I have been using aluminium anodes since 2015 on my present boat with anode changes every 2 years.
I used them also on my previous boat over something like 4 years
No known corrosion issues.

The boat is kept in fresh water with occasional salty water trips.

Bouba

Visit site
I have been using aluminium anodes since 2015 on my present boat with anode changes every 2 years.
I used them also on my previous boat over something like 4 years
No known corrosion issues.

The boat is kept in fresh water with occasional salty water trips.
The only problem I have is that it’s difficult to find an entire collection of aluminums in my local chandler...every year I tell myself to order them online while the boat is in the water and not be an idiot and wait till it’s out and I need them right away 🤷‍♂️

Momac

Visit site
The anodes for my boat were not on the shelf at the local chandlery and in any case the anodes they did have were priced quite a lot higher than online.
Ordering online was no problem and delivery was within a few days . I think for a few pounds extra I could have had next day delivery.

If you have missed the opportunity this time why not buy new Aluminium anodes now and keep them ready for next time?

Jerbro

Visit site
The only problem I have is that it’s difficult to find an entire collection of aluminums in my local chandler...every year I tell myself to order them online while the boat is in the water and not be an idiot and wait till it’s out and I need them right away 🤷‍♂️
If anyone knows where to get aluminium pencil anodes for a Cummins QSB in this country, I’d love to know. Performance Metals in the US do them but won’t ship to UK consumers… tried to get one of their UK resellers to stock them but no luck yet…

Bouba

Visit site
If anyone knows where to get aluminium pencil anodes for a Cummins QSB in this country, I’d love to know. Performance Metals in the US do them but won’t ship to UK consumers… tried to get one of their UK resellers to stock them but no luck yet…
These people
Anodes for Boats and Craft - Tecnoseal
make the zinc ones for the British market....perhaps they can help you

Momac

Visit site
Tecnoseal is the brand for Aluminium anodes I have been using for the outdrives, and this time also for the trim tabs
My bow thruster has a zinc anode. It is also available in Magnesium. I have not identified an Aluminium option.

Greg2

Visit site
Been using aluminium for years on various boats, including outdrives, aside from the last 18 months when we went back to zinc because the main aluminium anode had not deteriorated at all and I read that they can become inactive if there isn’t much water movement over them (get slimed up or some such). Zinc hadn’t corroded much either on lift out this winter and as continuity test is all good concluded that it was nothing to do with the material and have gone back to aluminium.

Bouba

Visit site
Been using aluminium for years on various boats, including outdrives, aside from the last 18 months when we went back to zinc because the main aluminium anode had not deteriorated at all and I read that they can become inactive if there isn’t much water movement over them (get slimed up or some such). Zinc hadn’t corroded much either on lift out this winter and as continuity test is all good concluded that it was nothing to do with the material and have gone back to aluminium.
Somewhere in the original article it talked about cheap imports...if the anode isn’t the right mix of alloys then it’s useless

Momac

Visit site
If you go for cheap = inferior sources the risk is the same regardless of the anode material.