Freestanding mast

dunedin

Visit site
I think if I was going to sail long distances single handed I'd go for a junk rig if I could find the right boat. The incredibly easy reefing and unreefing would be the obvious advantage, but also the way that the full sail area is working at full efficiency when sailing downwind. There was a PBO test years ago with two Van de Stadt Sprinters, one junk and one conventional. The junk was faster on a run if the conventional one didn't fly a spinnaker.
But thousands of people have actually sailed long distances solo using a properly set up conventional rig. And I doubt if any have ever been overtaken by a junk rigged boat. I certainly wouldn’t consider changing to one.
Lots of “ifs” and theories - whilst others just go sailing now in the boats that they have or can easily buy.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
But thousands of people have actually sailed long distances solo using a properly set up conventional rig. And I doubt if any have ever been overtaken by a junk rigged boat. I certainly wouldn’t consider changing to one.
Lots of “ifs” and theories - whilst others just go sailing now in the boats that they have or can easily buy.
Don't knock 'ifs' and theories, where would discussion forums be without them?
If there was a good junk-rigged boat available at the time when I was preparing for my hypothetical voyage, I'd certainly be keen. But the advantages aren't overwhelming and are offset by various disadvantages, and as you say there are so few non-conventional boats out there that in all likelihood a conventional rig would be the best buy.

Supertramp

Visit site
The OP was interested in the practicality of converting from rigged mast to freestanding, rather than which is best.

The answer seems to be "not without a lot of structural work".

In a world of increasing uniformity it's refreshing that people are still prepared to experiment with old and new ideas.