Anodes on Volvo 3 blade folding prop

Delphini

Visit site
Last summer, I purchased a new three bladed folding prop from Volvo for my 2003T saildrive. They advised that the anodes would need replacing at least once during a full season. When the boat was lifted this Spring, the anodes were missing, although the bolts were still in place. Replaced with new anodes in May, and by August, they were gone again. Volvo don't seem to be able to help. Has anyone had this experience and how do you deal with it. The boat is kept at Gosport.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Delphini

Visit site
Not having had any replies - I am posting my own research.

It has been suggested that a hull anode is required (none at present), having checked that there is continuity from the saildrive to the engine.

I don't want to do this - so have opted for an anode that can be attached to the guard rail and hung over the side when the boat is left on mooring. (The guardrail has to be wired through to the engine of course).

<hr width=100% size=1>

kdf

Visit site
I had the same problem on my two blade saildrive. It has two sets of anodes - one on the shaft itself forward of the prop and a second set (3 off) on the prop. It was these 3 that withered away twice a season. The forward ones were fine. I ended up with the same solution as you are suggesting - hanging another one off the rail and monitoring it regularly. If its doing its job it will start to degrade quickly.

<hr width=100% size=1>