Anode Fitting Problems

jusw

Visit site
Treble C's propshaft anode was missing when I brought her out of the water in January - either it fell off or was completely "eaten away" (unlikely) during the summer.

I therefore decided that I should measure the shaft to ensure I bought exactly the right size.

Using a digital caliper the shaft measured 22.20 mm = 7/8"

I've bought a new anode and well it doesn't really fit - Hopefully, if my diagram appears, you will see that the bore is in effect too small and the anode is only touching the shaft on the edges of the split.

I'm sure this will mean it will come loose again.

Should I try to file down the edges in the hope it goes further on or what?

Ideas Please.

JuSw

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/jswarbri/anode.png

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Aslong as it IS the correct size anode, tap each half with a hammer, tighten the screws and repeat until it's up tight. If you do this it will clamp the shaft securely. I've also had this problem and now fit two anodes. At the seasons end usually one has dissapeared and the other is about a quarter gone.

jusw

Visit site
I'm worried about damaging the propshaft or bearing - maybe I should put a hammer behind one side and tap the other - hopefully putting less stress on the shaft?

Also should I use a bit of grease or will that negate the anode effect?

JuSw

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
maybe I should put a hammer behind one side and tap the other

[/ QUOTE ] That's the way to do it! A good heavy hammer, club hammer or other heavy object one side and hit from the other. Gentle hits with a decent sized hammer will be more effective that wanging away with a tiddly little one.

pete

Visit site
I also have a Hunter 27 with a 7/8th shaft and buy my anodes locally they are not quite as bulky or expensive as Mc Duff anodes but I have never had a problem fitting or keeping them on. May be it is just the make of anode that's your problem.
Pete

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Blimey! That's an impressive anode consumption rate. Isn't it about time you considered a galvanic isolator?

[/ QUOTE ] That presupposes that he is in a marina with shorepower permanently connected.

Bio says Felixstowe Ferry. Is there a marina there now?

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
Vic
As far as I know Felixstowe Ferry is still all swinging moorings, but I did think that the anode consumption was a bit high, unless-- as he said- one fell off. In whch case a dab of Loctite on the bolt threads might improve the situation.