Anderson Plugs

Neeves

Visit site
I stepped outside my comfort zone and find a device called an Anderson plug is common place to connect devices, and more, to a 12v power circuit. If I go to my local chandler and want to connect a 12v device to the yacht's DC power I need to use a cigarette light socket (common on yachts I have been on). Has Australia missed out or are there reasons why an Anderson plug is not more common place.

I do appreciate that Anderson plugs can handle high current draw, might be expensive , but I also note that cigarette sockets are hardly sophisticated nor have a long and reliable life. Anderson plugs are used on 'things' we use, mobile fridges (the sort you might have in your car and then take to your yacht) but now with lithium a whole host of other devices - air fryers, ovens.....

Soliciting education, for me - maybe others, not specifically being critical

Jonathan

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
I stepped outside my comfort zone and find a device called an Anderson plug is common place to connect devices, and more, to a 12v power circuit. If I go to my local chandler and want to connect a 12v device to the yacht's DC power I need to use a cigarette light socket (common on yachts I have been on). Has Australia missed out or are there reasons why an Anderson plug is not more common place.

I do appreciate that Anderson plugs can handle high current draw, might be expensive , but I also note that cigarette sockets are hardly sophisticated nor have a long and reliable life. Anderson plugs are used on 'things' we use, mobile fridges (the sort you might have in your car and then take to your yacht) but now with lithium a whole host of other devices - air fryers, ovens.....

Soliciting education, for me - maybe others, not specifically being critical

Jonathan
They are great, inexpensive and have used them for many years without problems. e.g. Anderson SB50 (120A) Connector Housing - Red and each part is identical, each part being both a plug and a socket! You can also get a flush mounting Flush Mount For Anderson Plug Flush Mount For Anderson Plug Charging Panels 6950734107879 | eBay

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I mistakenly thought these were something to do with the supercharger on the Anderson 22.
I have used these connectors over the years, very useful, but as fredrussel #2 points out they aren't waterproof, Didn't know they were called Anderson plugs.

Mister E

Visit site
Anderson plugs are normally larges than the standard fag lighter stuff and as stated used for higher current flow.

Neeves

Visit site
I'd never heard, nor seen, them upto a couple of weeks ago.

They might not be water proof - but then neither is a 'cigar' lighter :)

Another use is for solar panels (but presumably with cabling in a dry location) and a further application connecting two power sources via a B2B, DC - DC controller.

I liked the idea that as long as you connect them correctly :) (attach the red cable to the pin in the + location :) ) the devices can be plug or socket (it took me some time to work that one out - very counter intuitive, practice has taught me you either have a plug or socket - not both in one). The colour is meant to be indicative of the amperage of the cables.

Having tripped over the devices by accident - I'm not about to change all my connections etc - just wish I'd known of them years ago. I'm surprised, given that some, Plum, Praxinscope and fredrussell, are au fait with such devices that they have slipped under the radar.

I think the smallest is 15 amp - and they go upto over 100amp.

Water proof?.... I'm not sure what the terminals are made from - corrosion proof - don't know. I've only heard of them being used in 'dry' environments - but they are used (commonly in Oz) for the vehicle to caravan power connection - to charge the caravan battery (plural) or the fridge and the connection is exposed to the weather, being at the tow bar. Another confession - I did not know caravans commonly had batteries (usually now lithium).

Jonathan

Last edited:

coopec

N/A
Visit site
"
What is an Anderson plug for?
An Anderson style plug is a moulded, heavy-duty connector designed for high current 12V circuits. They are commonly used to create a safe and secure power connection between a caravan or camper and a tow vehicle. Indeed, most caravans and campers these days have an Anderson style plug installed from factory.

An Introduction to Heavy-duty Connectors (Anderson Style Plugs)

Apparently Whitworths sell them and they are waterproof
IP68 Waterproof Connector Series

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
I have one for my solar panels in a cockpit locker. They're great but they're not a replacement for casual use like cigar sockets, I'd go for a smaller plug and socket for anything you're plugging and unplugging often.

You will have seen one - pretty sure Back to the Future featured one to capture 1.21 GIGAWATTS from the lightening!

Plum

Visit site
The colour is meant to be indicative of the amperage of the cables.

Jonathan
No. For each current rating you can get different colours. Each colour is a slightly different shape so only ones of the same colour will connect together. I use SB50 red ones for everything where i want ahigher current than a cigarette lighter plug.

They may not be waterproof but still work when wet and they are very corrosion resistant. We have one mounted in the front grill of a car for a battery charger so exposed to the weather. Still perfect after 5 years.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

Binnacle

Visit site
IMHO Neeves has let Anderson plugs and connectors slip under his radar for a very long time. Used in agriculture extensively e.g. connecting spray pumps and motors,and also in the RV market for many years for e.g. connecting winches when needed. They are available in waterproof IP68, and also with waterproof covers. Standard kit.

Can we look forward to another article soon ?

Neeves

Visit site
IMHO Neeves has let Anderson plugs and connectors slip under his radar for a very long time. Used in agriculture extensively e.g. connecting spray pumps and motors,and also in the RV market for many years for e.g. connecting winches when needed. They are available in waterproof IP68, and also with waterproof covers. Standard kit.

Can we look forward to another article soon ?

One has to ask - if they are so common place and useful (and I am more than happy to believe that is the case) - why have they not risen above the horizon in, for example - here? Maybe you need to be a farmer or RV enthusiast to have the knowledge (and I am neither - nor I suspect are others here (farmers nor RV enthusiasts).

They have a small hard core of users here. They do not seem to be extortionate. They seem to be user friendly. You tell us they are waterproof, which I believe (does not seem beyond the wit of man to make them water proof). So why are they never mentioned.

I have this suspicion I am not the only one, here, to have never been introduced to them - though maybe their marine applications are limited.

Sorry to disappoint you - but no article, you need to 'know' a product to write about it (and knowing a product demands understanding) - and 2 weeks is hardly time to learn how to spell their inventor's or developer's name. In any event - if an inquisitive person searches for Anderson Connectors in the YBW search engine they will find enough background, already, to perk their interest - and there are many You Tube videos to fill out all the gaps. Though I initiated the thread I don't find them intellectually stimulating - just a product I could have used 20 years ago.

I'm as much fascinated by their absence from YBW as their application. I wonder what else slips under the radar.

Your final comment has just that tinge of unnecessary sarcasm - maybe with your broad knowledge you can add to our education.

Jonathan

Last edited:

coopec

N/A
Visit site
One has to ask - if they are so common place and useful (and I am more than happy to believe that is the case) - why have they not risen above the horizon in, for example - here? Maybe you need to be a farmer or RV enthusiast to have the knowledge (and I am neither - nor I suspect are others here (farmers nor RV enthusiasts).

They have a small hard core of users here. They do not seem to be extortionate. They seem to be user friendly. You tell us they are waterproof, which I believe (does not seem beyond the wit of man to make them water proof). So why are they never mentioned.

I have this suspicion I am not the only one, here, to have never been introduced to them - though maybe their marine applications are limited.

S

Jonathan
Well I had not heard of them either but apparently they are well and truly familiar in the caravan world.

KICKASS PRODUCTS

Daydream believer

Visit site
Smaller versions are well known in the RC model flying hobby. There is a range of shapes . I use Deans pattern connectors from my 14V lipos.. If Refueller reads this post ( I think he flies RC planes) he may comment on the suitability for long term current transfer.

I suppose that one could use the 240 V socket/plug from a Flymo electric mower just before it gets sent to the great recycling bin in the sky. No reason ( I assume :rolleyes:)that one could not put 12V through one.

lustyd

Visit site
This thread is simply proving I have led a very sheltered life - but that I am not too old to learn

Jonathan
I was also oblivious until I installed my solar. I found it reassuring that everyone in the know seemed to agree they were the way to go, even if I had been in the dark :)

Kelpie

Visit site
I have written about them on here more than once. In relation to using a battery for a trolling motor.
If I ever find them for sale in the Caribbean that's what I'm going to use to resurrect my trolling motor. I got fed up of corroded cables thanks to non waterproof connections.