And who thought THIS was a good idea?

jwilson

Visit site
I was taking my Yachtmaster Offshore exam in a UKSA Contessa 32 sometime in the 1970s and somewhere off Portland something similar approached. I could not for the life of me work out what the multiple lights meant. The examiner asked me what it was? I said "... a Christmas tree, and I'm keeping well out of it's way". I'm not sure he knew either: he passed me anyway telling me I was fairly rubbish at handling under power, but I could certainly sail. As my own boat at the time had little power and no reverse gear I had to be able to sail.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Still confused. Photoshopped it is then.

It is on the Navy’s ‘official Facebook page’. I assume it is there with the blessing of the Royal Navy and it seems to be there to celebrate the usual doling out of a shed load of ‘honours’ to the Navy.

The reflection of one light on the sea suggests that it is not a Photoshop effort, though I would not put it past the people who run today’s Navy to put a Photoshopped picture on their Facebook page.

Either way, it is extraordinary for a branch of the British Government to deliberately contravene, or to fake a deliberate contravention of, an international treaty that was first promoted by this country.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Either way, it is extraordinary for a branch of the British Government to deliberately contravene, or to fake a deliberate contravention of, an international treaty that was first promoted by this country.

No great suprise to the Chagos Islanders, though.