Status
Not open for further replies.

sighmoon

Visit site
Last edited:

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
OK fellers, let's knock this one on the head. I've ordered a Spade and a Fortress.

Mainly on the basis that Hylas (Spade) hasn't said a word, and Brian (Fortress) hasn't resorted to abuse!

Now, about warp and chain...

I don't think you'll be dissappointed.
I nearly went Spade instead of Rocna whilst at the London show but you must have deeper pockets than me! :)

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I've heard it said that an old, blunt CQR, can be much improved by sharpening the tip and the edges. It makes sense intuitively but I haven't tried it. Has anyone else?

An impartial link for Craig's benefit:
http://www.google.com/search?q=sales+criticising+competition

Why stop at sharpening it? Something like this might be even better?

IMG_1840.jpg

snowleopard

Visit site
I wasn't referring to a kedge - more about the people who have made the leap from a CQR to a Rocna, Spade, Manson Supreme etc. as a bower.

A kedge is an anchor. It may or may not be smaller than the bower but it serves the same purpose, i.e. to attach the boat to the bottom.

Next question - when most of the 'new generation' anchor makers advise going up a size from previous recommendations for older anchors, is it the design or the extra weight that makes them perform better?

Scotty_Tradewind

Visit site
Next question - when most of the 'new generation' anchor makers advise going up a size from previous recommendations for older anchors, is it the design or the extra weight that makes them perform better?

I came down slightly in weight from a cqr to a Rocna on my last boat, and will stay almost the same weight on the replacement boat.

Not sure where you've seen the info regarding going up in size for 'new generation' anchors?? unless you'r being as mischievous as others who blog on this forum ;)

Brian@Fortress

Visit site

A fair question, and I believe you are right.... one or maybe more of the new generation manufacturers are not advising, as a rough example, to "replace your 35 lb CQR with a 35 lb Rocna," they are advising you to "replace your 35 lb CQR with a 45 lb Rocna" or maybe even larger.

On the other hand, if you had simply sized up your old generation anchor, then you could certainly expect a performance improvement by the added weight and larger surface area.

As another rough example, sizing up from a 35 lb CQR to a 45 lb CQR should translate to better performance from the new larger / heavier CQR.

Scotty_Tradewind

Visit site
A fair question, and I believe you are right.... one or maybe more of the new generation manufacturers are not advising, as a rough example, to "replace your 35 lb CQR with a 35 lb Rocna," they are advising you to "replace your 35 lb CQR with a 45 lb Rocna" or maybe even larger.

Hello Brian, I wonder if you could quote more specifically on where you have seen this printed or perhaps you could copy onto these pages.
I'm sure it would be of interested to all who have posted on this thread
thanks
S.

Status
Not open for further replies.