Anchoring.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Notice the Baltimore ship has the anchor chain out port side.
I note that the forces involved in stopping a ship like the Dali are such that no conceivable ground tackle would stop her in the distance available, and would be VERY likely to break the chain if the holding power of the anchor was enough to stop her. Just as a thinking point, she hit the concrete pier (which was stressed to withstand collision by the smaller ships of 50 years ago) and demolished it totally. Consider the forces involved in that, and ask yourself whether any conceivable ground tackle could exert that kind of force.

capnsensible

Visit site
I note that the forces involved in stopping a ship like the Dali are such that no conceivable ground tackle would stop her in the distance available, and would be VERY likely to break the chain if the holding power of the anchor was enough to stop her. Just as a thinking point, she hit the concrete pier (which was stressed to withstand collision by the smaller ships of 50 years ago) and demolished it totally. Consider the forces involved in that, and ask yourself whether any conceivable ground tackle could exert that kind of force.
I sailed for many years out of Marina Bay, Gibraltar. 9ff 5he rock to the west.....Algeciras Bay .....is a frequently used anchorage for vessel arriving to anchor for bunkers and stores, etc. Up to 40 a day.

Watching them anchor in up to 70m of water is impressive. They start veering under the instructions of the pilot whilst still making 6 to 8 knots. Then as they reach near the designated area it looks like they stop the engine, way comes off and they swing to the hook. Mebbe a big ship driver on here could explain more?

A good friend of mine uses the same technique on his yacht in busy Carib anchorages. Seems to work very well and he always ends up just where he wants.

fisherman

Visit site
Yes absolutely. She would drag it for a mile at least, or part the chain, or more likely wreck the winch/brakes. It begs the question is it prudent to have the anchor detail on the foredeck when you're about to bring a bridge down on it? Hopefully they retreated in good time.

V1701

Visit site
View attachment 174578

But I would not leap to simple engine failure as the sole cause. There were ship-wide power failures causing all of the lights to go out.

We'll hear more.

I've been over that bridge hundreds of times. There are other bridges and two tunnels, so vehicle traffic can re-route, but they've got to clear the steel to get the port working. I bet they will push for a tunnel to replace it.
I'd love to see that engine in action, seen a few videos on Youtube of massive 2 stroke engines they're something else...

Back on topic my mate bought a narrowboat that was on the Thames & needing moving to Northampton. He only on my insistence bought a decent anchor & chain. lo & behold engine failed, the anchor stopped us drifting towards a weir while I sorted the engine...

doug748

Visit site
I anchor downwind under sail fairly often but you have to secure the anchor chain well before it bites, and you have to be very sensible about your speed.
Anyone remember this one? :

A lot of folk, in the comments, said he should have anchored. Daft in my opinion, at the start of the video the point of no return has already been passed. The lesson is that you need to get the anchor down early, though this is not always possible and it is always tempting to think that you can sort matters out without and be on your way.
Once you are moving fast in surf ,or shallow water. attempts to anchor risk loss of limb or being tossed overboard or both.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com

Yup.

I'm quite sure they knew it would no slow them measurably. A more likely hope was for a slight turn.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Chart 5608-17 shows a LW maximum depth of 23 metres and that is mid channel. It also shows many drying heights. I accept that it was on a rising tide but they seemed to be on the Welsh side not far downstream from the bridge.
I always think, that in a critical situation, I would chuck the anchor over in the hope that, at worst, it would snag on something.
It can always be cut adrift (well mine can) if necessary.

fisherman

Visit site
I sailed for many years out of Marina Bay, Gibraltar. 9ff 5he rock to the west.....Algeciras Bay .....is a frequently used anchorage for vessel arriving to anchor for bunkers and stores, etc. Up to 40 a day.

Watching them anchor in up to 70m of water is impressive. They start veering under the instructions of the pilot whilst still making 6 to 8 knots. Then as they reach near the designated area it looks like they stop the engine, way comes off and they swing to the hook. Mebbe a big ship driver on here could explain more?

A good friend of mine uses the same technique on his yacht in busy Carib anchorages. Seems to work very well and he always ends up just where he wants.
I read a book about someone's life sailing about the Pacific. Row of boats, Med moored, stern to the shore on an anchor. In a brisk onshore wind they saw a French yacht approaching at speed, and on several boats deckchairs were set out, popcorn opened....fenders readied either side of the only berth. The yacht at the last moment rounded up, let go the anchor, dropped astern into the gap and lassoed the bollards.

wingcommander

Visit site
I carry a 5kg kedge anchor , which is stored on the pushpit.10 mtrs of chain permanently attached, extra rode in adjacent locker. Single handed its my emergancy handbrake. Used it once when entering the very shallow and narrow channel at Fleetwood (home port so well aware of sandbanks) . Rising tide and not much wind, I had switched on the iron sail , noticed no water flowing . Strong tide pushing me outside the channel. Rapidly deployed kedge , engine off , anchor set. Now plenty of time to sort out the problem ( just an air lock in the strainer).
I would have been in a pickle if I needed to go to the bow 5o release my main anchor .
Still needed a stiff cup of tea when I tied up and stopped shaking

veshengro

Visit site
I'm not sure how you would 'snub' (is that the word), manually, a free falling anchor rode (even with the anchor on the seabed) for a large commercial ship.

Jonathan
The rate at which a ship's anchor runs out is usually governed by the First Mate who (at least in my time at sea) would be on the foc'sle for anchoring and mooring operations. He would tell the Ship's Carpenter who traditionally had control of the Windlass when to take the brake off . ' Let go' was ordered and Chippy unscrewed the windlass brake. Usually, but not always, the anchor would already have been walked out so that it hung just below the Hawse pipe, this would entail Chippy using power on the windlass to simply slowly lower the anchor until signalled by the Mate ,usually hanging over the bulwark watching the hook, to stop.
Occasionally when Chippy took the brake off it needed an AB or someone to give the cable a kick or 'Bounce' it to free it to run. A careful watch was kept on the cable as it ran out, each shackle (15 fathoms) being marked with white paint would be noted and the run and speed of the cable controlled by Chippy on the brake until the required number of shackles had run out. Chippy then screwed the windlass brake on and after a period and only when the Mate was happy that the anchor was holding, someone would run up the anchor ball.
Perhaps now someone presses a button somewhere, but above is how it used to be done.

" Watching them anchor in up to 70m of water is impressive. They start veering under the instructions of the pilot whilst still making 6 to 8 knots. Then as they reach near the designated area it looks like they stop the engine, way comes off and they swing to the hook. Mebbe a big ship driver on here could explain more? "

Anchoring under guidance of a Pilot in my experience was always very much an excellent example of eyeball navigation. I'm thinking of places like the Port Said anchorage where we used to anchor and wait to join the Southbound convoys. I can clearly recall being on the wheel when the Egyptian Pilot would wander out to the bridge wing having previously ordered Dead Slow ahead, then Stop engine. They would eye up their landmarks ashore, waiting for them to align or conform to an angle and then order 'Let go'
The preparations to anchor already having been made by the Mate, Chippy and Foc'sle crowd it was just a question of waiting for the Pilot to give the order.
The local pilots know their areas so well, depth, holding etc: that they never relied on technology to assist their decisions. They would have assessed how the ship carried her way after previous engine orders as they entered the anchorage, so the order to stop engine and finally 'Let Go' was more than just guess work

As stated, things may have changed in the 21st Century, but that's how Seamen used to do it. ;)

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
This is entirely unverified heresay: apparently, the strong tides in BC (that much I have plenty of experience) can drag the bow of an anchored yacht under if score to short. Not sure about a barge though.