Anchoring.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I often wonder why those in difficulties approaching a lea shore do not deploy their anchor.
Many times on TV, I see a rescue by lifeboat of boats disabled and drifting shorewards out of control.
A recent episode of "Saving Lives At Sea" showed one such incident of a dutch barge drifting with the tide in the Bristol Channel approaching the new Severn Bridge.
Perhaps they did not carry an anchor but it would have saved the possibility of a nasty collision. Beam on to the tide with such a vessel, would have been nasty.
Bear in mind, that, in the dim and distant, bargees without any other means of propulsion, used the tide to drudge up channel. Although no bridges were then extant, the Shoots presents a sufficient challenge.
The same argument applies to the use of drogues. They are never mentioned.
Do you carry one and have you ever used it?

RogerJolly

Visit site
I saw that. Horribly coincident with that Baltimore bridge thing.

Wouldn't fancy relying on one form of propulsion, but guess it's quite normal.

What happens in commercial ships? Things like system redundancy to reduce chances of power loss to an absolute minimum I guess.

Stemar

Visit site
What happens in commercial ships? Things like system redundancy to reduce chances of power loss to an absolute minimum I guess.
It still happens too often, in spite of all the efforts to prevent it. Wasn't the Penlee disaster caused by the ship losing power and the owners not wanting to call for help because it would be expensive?

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com

1711562541244.png

But I would not leap to simple engine failure as the sole cause. There were ship-wide power failures causing all of the lights to go out.

We'll hear more.

I've been over that bridge hundreds of times. There are other bridges and two tunnels, so vehicle traffic can re-route, but they've got to clear the steel to get the port working. I bet they will push for a tunnel to replace it.

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site

I know for sure that warship anchors are ready for letting go when entering and leaving harbour. I would guess that's the same for commercial vessels judging by the speed at least the port one was deployed on the vessel heading for the bridge that we are now no longer able to discuss on a boating forum.....

Babylon

Visit site
I'm not discussing anything - wouldn't dare - but here's a question: do ships, whether naval or merchant, whether near any bridges or not, have to rely on an electric supply to let go their anchors etc?

KevinV

Visit site
I saw that and thought the skipper said that the water was to deep for his anchor set up, hence didn't bother.
Seem to recall the Skipper said 70 metres of water??
That's what I heard too.

The OP's point is still valid though, they towed a sailing boat in that looked as if it could have easily have anchored as it approached the lee shore.

Neeves

Visit site
They may have decided that having the yacht at anchor, in that location, at that time and with the relevant forecast may not have been the long term choice of a responsible skipper (nor the RNLI). It may have been dictated that the yacht would be better towed to a safer location. I know of a case in the Mersey, the Liverpool one, where a yacht was at anchor and the RNLI offered a tow. The owner of the yacht, single handed, refused the offer but changed his mind when the RNLI said they would stand by the yacht at anchor until conditions improved. The moral pressure provided the incentive and ensured that the RNLI was not called out at an inconvenient time, thus the 'rescue' was conducted under RNLI terms.

This is the yacht with a RNLI member on the bow taking the tow rope. The yacht is still at anchor, you can just pick out the rode. This is off New Brighton looking NE. The depth in the location is about 5m

I spoke with both the RNLI and the owner of the yacht.

shout to Quo Vadis (strong gale 9) 010.JPG

Jonathan

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I'm not discussing anything - wouldn't dare - but here's a question: do ships, whether naval or merchant, whether near any bridges or not, have to rely on an electric supply to let go their anchors etc?
No. Letting go the anchor is just a gravity thing but power is required to pull it back in again. However it should be "walked" out and lowered out of the hawse pipe before letting go to ensure it doesnt jam and this does require electric power.

Neeves

Visit site
I'm not sure how you would 'snub' (is that the word), manually, a free falling anchor rode (even with the anchor on the seabed) for a large commercial ship.

Jonathan