Anchoring in Ilfracombe

Do you have a preferred supplier; if so what type?

• Chandlery/shop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boatyard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Allan

Visit site
I assume from your question that you know the harbour master at Ilfracombe charges for anchoring. I understand from some of the things I have read that it is in fact illegal to charge for anchoring. There was a campaign in Sailing today to stop this happening, I don't know the latest state of play.
Allan

wotayottie

Visit site
There are hybour bye laws which allow for charges for anchoring and make it legal to do so.

I'm always quite happy to pay the HM if he comes out to my boat and asks for the money. I am not going to blow up my dinghy, row over to pay him, row back and deflate / repack my dinghy if he cant be bothered to come out to me. Same rule applies everywhere inc Salcombe.

A

Alcyone

I don't mind paying if you are using the facilities that cost money to set up. We paid there the other week (well, Allan paid for us). Louise did use the steps though, I suppose.

MarkJohnson12345

www.markjohnsonafloat.org.uk
History goes back several years. I think it was 2005, we spent a night in the outer harbour, having been ashore.

The night was one of the roughest I have been in, very uncomfortable!

We were glad to out the place in the morning, only to be radio'd by the wretched harbour master demanding his fee.

I did post it, but felt hard done by.

Never been back. Off my list of hot spots

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Pay for anchoring? Abso-effin-lutely not /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

My reasons include...

a) The Range is a traditional anchorage - there is no infrastructure invested to create any more shelter than occurs naturally (which isn't great anyway)
b) The area available is severely restricted due to them allowing pot lines, and having to leave room for the ferry
c) It is outside the harbour
d) I don't see any facilities provided for visiting vessels, which aren't already available for everyone else walking along the quay
e) I am using my gear, and my skills
f) IT SEVERELY P*SSES ME OFF!

(Rant over. For now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Allan

Visit site
They would argue that if you pay they will give you a key for the showers. Also maybe that some of the places to anchor are protected by the outer harbour walls. As said above there may be some by-law. I think the Boaters of Great Britain need to stand up for our right to anchor in the sea, which belongs to nobody. I just don't think Ilfracombe is the best place to start!
Allan

Reactions: ILA

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Maybe we need the equivalent of the Scottish WHAM (West Highlands Anchoring and Mooring IIRC) - they monitor and lobby against the installation of moorings and fish farms in traditional anchorages, and also produce research and advice for local councils about how best to manage the different needs of fishermen, hotels, harbours etc.

But I still reckon that the seabed doesn't belong to Ilfracombe Harbour, and I am not going to pay for anchoring with my own gear in a traditional spot. It is immoral IMO to introduce charges in such a situation.

And as for being pursued for non-payment of the charge, I am dodging that by ordering a stick on vinyl graphic for the transom from csail. It says "Banjo. Cardiff"
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

graham

Visit site
A carelessly dangling fender across the boats name may do the trick if your not going ashore.Unless you have foot high lettering on the dodgers.

If I am going ashore fair enough if not I dont believe in paying for facilities not used.

Just be aware that the HM keeps a record of non payers and will catch you next time.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Bizarrely Ilfracombe HM hasn't got a boat!

[/ QUOTE ]
So if I am anchored on passage, waiting for the tide, they expect me to go ashore to them and settle up? Bizarre

Does anyone know if the receipt is for "anchoring" or "harbour dues" or something else?

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
I would suggest that would be the implication Damo, unless he now has a boat. If not going ashore one is better off anchoring off Combe Martin or Lee as no charge. Altogether better. Can row ashore at Combe Martin for beer/supplies etc. Less reflected swell off Lee than at Ilfracombe which can be truly atrocious. Much the same holding, sand, is all three places and similarly exposed to winds from W through N to E.

bluedragon

Visit site
I started using Combe Martin a few years back, to avoid the hassle at Ilfracombe. Like Damo, if I'm just waiting out the tide (or getting a few hours sleep) I'm NOT going to get the dinghy out just to pay anchor dues. If they want it, then come and get it...seems reasonable to me. Actually we don't like the town much either.

BTW - aren't the showers in the YC anyway?? So the HM really offers you nothing in exchange for your money...

Visit site
I second Combe Martin, nice little place to go ashore, i also think Ilfracome is a bit overrated, and i dont like going against a wall, it make me feel quite vunerable at night.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
That's why I always try to use Combe Martin - better shelter generally IMO, and much nicer. I did use Ilfracombe last August because we reckoned the SE gale gusting off the high ground would have funnelled horribly through Combe Martin. We were right!

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
Correct. Showers in YC. Unless you use the visitors moorings, the wall or an inner harbour mooring ( all drying of course) you are getting nothing for your money. The loos are public, the YC own the showers and the sea bed is traditionally free. The Yc is really very good though; good value, tasty food, decent beer and a very warm welcome. Just the job.

Severnman

Visit site
Sorry Damo, Ilfracombe Harbour is perfectly entitled to charge for anchoring in the Range under their byle laws which all harbour authorities should issue under powers from the Secretary of State. Their Bye laws also clearly indicate their area of jurisdiction. Why pay? You don't have to - and as you have already mentioned there are plenty of free alternatives. Before you slag of the authority (and I in no way represent Ilfracombe!) bear in mind there are legal obligations which include maintenance of navigation, appropriate surveying,wreck clearance etc etc and you don't get owt for nowt! Other perceived facilities are rather irrelevant but you can always make your views known by the appropriate forum group. There should be one - it is a requirement.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I am aware they are legally "entitled" to - it still doesn't make it right. And there is a strong legal argument, already referred to, that actually there is NO entitlement to charge for anchoring and mooring in most places (What ever did happen to the Sailing Today campaign??)

It seems to be a concerted effort to discourage visiting yachts from spending money in the town - it would be interesting to know how much income they get from their highway robbery, and how many boats, like mine, who no longer go ashore there