Anchoring Etiquette

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
No problem but I’m slightly bemused. We anchored in Clifton Bay, Union Island earlier today. It took us a little while to find a spot as the locals/Tobago Marine Park have filled it up with mooring buoys, but anchoring is permitted and it’s free so we dropped the hook. We anchored in about 5 metres near the edge of and in the lee of one of the reefs. A little over twenty metres of chain out. There’s a 45’ French Schooner a little way behind us.

I’m settling down to watch the cricket when there’s a knock on our hull. The French couple from the boat behind have swum over and are saying they’re leaving at 0600 tomorrow and we’re over their anchor. I must have raised an eyebrow unwittingly as they immediately explained that they’d got FIFTY metres of chain out.

Of course I said it was pas de problem and we’d be up in the morning to make sure we’re clear of them as they retrieve their anchor. They then said, actually we’re getting up at 0600 so we’ll probably be leaving at 0700.

I’ve set the alarm for 0630… let’s wait and see what actually happens.

I’ve no problem in moving. After all they were anchored here first but FIFTY METERS OF CHAIN in 5 metres of water?

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
They do have a lee shore behind them - can't take any chances..... :D
Or maybe they don't trust their stereotype French Brittany anchor, hence all the scope.
They should have bought a new-generation anchor.....
We have occasionally had bareboats dragging down on us in the Grenadines at 0200 in a squall who think that a 2:1 scope (or less even) is reasonable.......
Please do update us in the morning, we all love good anchoring soaps!

stranded

Visit site
Measuring to the bow roller, say +2m, so 50m = about 7x depth, any rise of tide to reduce scope multiple further? I have no idea about the specific location but to me that sounds cautious, but not crazy, especially if the anchorage was empty when they arrived for a long stay and weather might arrive. Always worth checking before dropping, cause some scopes are crazy!

Reactions: Obi

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Measuring to the bow roller, say +2m, so 50m = about 7x depth, any rise of tide to reduce scope multiple further? I have no idea about the specific location but to me that sounds cautious, but not crazy, especially if the anchorage was empty when they arrived for a long stay and weather might arrive. Always worth checking before dropping, cause some scopes are crazy!
Navionics has the tidal range in Clifton today at 25 cm.

It’s 0600 here now. I’ll report what anchor they pull up…