anchor

hollandd

Visit site
my sister has just bought a narrow boat 50ft and would like to know the best anchor for thames and grand union
boat is currently moored on wey navigation

Chris_d

Visit site
A Danforth seems to be what stows the easiest on the front of Narrow boats, she will need quite a big one though, 15kg maybe. I assume its for emergency use only so probably best to have mostly warp and just a short length of chain, I guess there is no chain locker. 25-30metres total should be plenty for use between Richmond and Brentford.

TrueBlue

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
my sister has just bought a narrow boat 50ft and would like to know the best anchor for thames and grand union
boat is currently moored on wey navigation

[/ QUOTE ]

a 15Kg anchor seems a bit light; 20 - 25 would be more appropriate, but much more difficult to manage.

I question whether - and I'm trying to be practical here - whether on the non tidal Thames an anchor for a narrowboat is of any real use. In "strong stream" conditions even a big Danforth is unlikely to hold, and anyway you should not be cruising at that time anyway, especially if your engine is sized for canal use.

I should point out that anchors are not permitted on BW waters, but I assume you mean the passage from Teddington to Brentford? If there's a lot of water running in that stretch, then again you should not be moving.

It's difficult to advise sensibly. From the safety aspect then a big Danforth and a lot of chain (as suggested above) is correct. On the other hand given the restrictions of the design of a nb, I'm wondering whether a couple or three large folding anchors with chain and rope might not be as effective in an emergency and much much easier to store. You can also use them to moor when all the moorings are full.....

Chris_d

Visit site
I said 15kg not 15lb's, a 15kg Danforth would normaly be ok for a 12metre seagoing boat. I think an anchor is a sensible precaution for a narrow boat making the transit between Richmond and Brentford, the question said Thames and Grand Union, I took this to mean to do that transit.
A Danforth is an excellant anchor for biting quickly, its not going to be used for overnight holding. So a compromise of a lot of warp and a short bit of chain should make it easy to handle and do the job without a lot of hassle. It would also be better to have the setup portable, so that you can deploy it as a kedge to brake the boat if neccesary.

Gumpy

Visit site
15Kg sounds about right for a 50ft narrowboat with 10m of chain and 25m rope. I used to have a 20kg one on my 60ft narrowboat.
One thing to consider is that as there is no winch etc then the weakest member of the crew (assuming a crew of two) has to be able to get the anchor over the side and into the water.
It is no use having an anchor that cant be deployed if the strong member of the crew is incapacitated and you need to use it.

Julian