Anchor tips

chrisgil

Visit site
I have recently taken delivery of a Marex 310 and am finding that it swings an awful lot when at anchor, much more than I’ve experienced on previous boats (admittedly with some sort of keel)
Has anyone got any tips as to how I could reduce the amount and frequency of swing (apart from taking a line to shore)?

julians

Visit site
I have recently taken delivery of a Marex 310 and am finding that it swings an awful lot when at anchor, much more than I’ve experienced on previous boats (admittedly with some sort of keel)
Has anyone got any tips as to how I could reduce the amount and frequency of swing (apart from taking a line to shore)?
You're in majorca I gather(from your other thread about pollensa), you'll find if you limit the swinging that you end up getting in the way of all the other boats that are still swinging, in busy anchorage at least.

The swinging is fine, just go with it....

Hurricane

Visit site
You're in majorca I gather(from your other thread about pollensa), you'll find if you limit the swinging that you end up getting in the way of all the other boats that are still swinging, in busy anchorage at least.

The swinging is fine, just go with it....
If Julians is correct, Yes Mallorca is an island (obvious) so when we anchor out there we tend to get the wind doing a 180 degree swing overnight and with a crowded anchorage you need to swing with the rest of the boats. Most of the time, you will swing a full 360 degrees overnight as the wind changes from onto the shore to off the shore.

The problem that you will need to deal with is that motorboats swing differently to sailing boats. We try to have a good relationship with nearby sailboats and watch the situation carefully. The big unwritten rule is the boat that arrived last must give space to any previously anchored boats. I don't tend to shout at sailboats arriving after me - I just say "I think you are too close" - that makes the point to them that it is their decision to stay or re-anchor. Conversely, if I'm close and was the last boat to arrive, I will say something like "I'm watching the situation and will move if I think there is a danger of hitting you" - thus making the point that it is my responsibility. In most cases I can keep it at a pleasant conversation - sometimes they move away anyway - thus making me the priority anchored boat.

But we always look for the opportunity to take a line ashore - much better than a kedge but difficult to find the right situation that works for you and other boats at anchor.
This is a well known anchorage in Mallorca where you aren't supposed to do this but we did it and other sailing boats then joined in.
DJI_0036e.resized.jpg

And this spot in San Miguel (Ibiza) is easier - less other boats around.
DJI_0016ee.resized.JPG

Best if you have good ground tackle (anchor etc) so that you can tighten up the line ashore so tight that you can play a tune on it.
We have actually "sat out" 50 knot winds using this technique.

julians

Visit site
This is a well known anchorage in Mallorca where you aren't supposed to do this but we did it and other sailing boats then joined in.

You can't do that anymore, as they've roped off half of the bay preventing you from getting anywhere near those rocks.

Think the rope is there from early may to end of October.

jrudge

Visit site
boats swing. There is really nothing you can do at anchor , other than a shore line. I have just left Mallorca after 15 years. I did a shore line about 3 times. The swing does not hurt so ignore it.

Dogone

Visit site
If you increase windage from the stern, like the feathers on an arrow it will reduce swing. Or hoist a sail there. Ketches do this or other yachts put up small riding sails.