Anchor safety clip

longjohnsilver

Visit site
If you really need/want it, why not have one made. I’d expect to pay half the chandlery price.

I’ve never seen one before, I’ve never considered it a possibility of losing my anchor. If I did I’d simply use some rope to tie it down. One less obstruction on deck to stub your toe on or trip over.

Mr Googler

Visit site

£60! Jesus!

I knocked one up with some small stainless chain and a carabiner!

Stainless Steel Marine Anchor Short Link Chain 4mm x 16mm x 5mm Handy Straps https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/401718022864
£5.95 per metre

Stainless Steel Carabiner Clip Snap Hook Spring Loaded Carabina Carbine 50-80mm https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/352329092514
£2.80 for 2 x6mm

Last edited:

skipper681

Visit site

jrudge

Visit site
If you really need/want it, why not have one made. I’d expect to pay half the chandlery price.

I’ve never seen one before, I’ve never considered it a possibility of losing my anchor. If I did I’d simply use some rope to tie it down. One less obstruction on deck to stub your toe on or trip over.

I know tow people who have lost anchors. Loosing the anchor is no issue. The damage it does is.

One was a windy. It wrapped round the props and trashed the lot.

Other was a bigger boat. Anchor deployed in heavy weather. No damage.

I would not leave port without an anchor clip. Trusting the anchor on the winch clutch alone and the potential damage it could do are not worth it

Mr Googler

Visit site
I know tow people who have lost anchors. Loosing the anchor is no issue. The damage it does is.

One was a windy. It wrapped round the props and trashed the lot.

Other was a bigger boat. Anchor deployed in heavy weather. No damage.

I would not leave port without an anchor clip. Trusting the anchor on the winch clutch alone and the potential damage it could do are not worth it

Funny you should say that......when I sold my last boat, the new owner looked at my £8 setup and said “you don’t need that....I’ve never bothered”.

2 days later he text me saying thank god it was there as the windlass slipped in some rough stuff!

markc

Visit site
The other day we stopped at an anchorage and my wife unclipped the teather and the anchor went straight off the bow (my fault, I had forgotten to tighten the windlass clutch after using the winch when mooring). Even though my wife was on the bow, immediately got the winch handle out of the locker and tightened it, 60 meters of chain was already out by the time it stopped. It takes no time at all!

Hurricane

Visit site

Please don't tell me that you don't tie your anchor down.
For the same reason as others on here have said, you shouldn't rely on the cone clutch to hold your anchor in place.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Please don't tell me that you don't tie your anchor down.
For the same reason as others on here have said, you shouldn't rely on the cone clutch to hold your anchor in place.

No, never have tied it down. The chances of it self launching are pretty small, it takes quite a bit of effort for me to push it off the bow roller.