Anbother vote for the killcord

lustyd

Visit site
Ah your boating is done from the sofa. In that case you're no danger to anyone but yourself. In the real world People kill the engine as they approach, let it warm up then (re)start when they get to the helm, and the vast majority don't set out in a F7 in an open boat.

Normally I'm a "you do you" kind of guy, but in this instance I'm a live and let live advocate. Wear a kill cord or don't go boating. Risking other people's lives is not ok, and being maimed by some muppet's prop because they didn't have proper training or were just an asshole is not fine by me.

Suggest you re-watch the video in slow motion and imagine it's YOUR blood in the water when you fall in as you move to the helm when leaving the dock.

Rappey

Visit site
Suggest you re-watch the video in slow motion
I have. I would say the engine was already running as you can see the foam in the water from the engine . It appears he had his hand where a side throttle may be mounted then move it to the wheel (could be a dash mounted throttle) it was only after he moved his hands to the wheel that the engine revved up and the boat shot forwards. I would guess at over enthusiastic use of throttle.
Could this be compared to someone trying to park a car then shooting forwards because they hit the accelerator instead of the brake ? Could bring into question whether they have the compitence to operate the vessel/vehicle ?

My boating is done from the sofa ? Hahaha. I bet ive far far more experience operating outboard powered vessels than you ever will have and had more of them.
Im out all year round checking on boats, moving them around, pulling off boats aground. Many boats need to be boarded to secure sails /covers that are coming adrift. Takes a lot more skill getting along side a wildly swinging boat than a fixed pontoon .
I would guess that you have done none of this as if you had you would know how stupid it would be to turn and engine off before being secured
Im asked to tow boats or skiers because of my boating skills. I teach the instructors...haha,ok made that bit up...

imagine it's YOUR blood in the water when you fall in as you move to the helm when leaving the dock.
How would that happen? The engine is running in neutral while i untie, i move to the helm then put it in gear once im sat down . I proceed to move away slowly as i dont want to hit the pontoon or another boat.

lustyd

Visit site
Im out all year round checking on boats, moving them around, pulling off boats aground
Please, for all of our sakes, get some training or stop. You're literally arguing FOR dangerous behaviour here. It's not that hard, just wear the cord.

Rappey

Visit site
You're literally arguing FOR dangerous behaviour here.
No, im arguing against your stupidity of stopping an engine before youve made a boat secure and casting off before starting the engine..
There is no arguing about the benefits of using the kill cord.
Maybe we need to do a poll on who does what your suggesting?
But then again you seem the type to still argue your correct even if there was an overwhelming amount of people against your stupid ideas

Rappey

Visit site
www.boat-ed.com
  • Kalkomey is the official provider of recreational safety education materials for all 50 states. We provide online boating and hunting and other recreational safety education. View
  • Check that the engine is running properly and the departure area is clear of traffic. Then begin to cast off. (No mention of stopping the engine)

Www.boatsmartexam.com.
  1. All passengers should be seated properly with their hands and feet inside the boat.
  2. For boats equipped with enclosed engine compartments, operate the ventilation system (blower) for at least four minutes before starting the engine.
  3. Start the engine
  • PWC operators should ensure the engine’s kill switch (safety lanyard) is securely attached to their wrist or PFD at all times.
  1. Check your surroundings for any obstacles or other boats.
  2. Untie all mooring lines and push the boat away from the dock:
Notice its start the engine first ?

Www.herbertwoods.co.uk
Always make sure you start the engine before casting off. Check that the throttle lever is in neutral

www.intermarineboats.com
With everyone aboard start your engines and make ready. Now you can just "slip the cleats".

So these professionals that do training and exams are all wrong because you know better ?
Its actually quite insulting that someone as inexperienced as you are appearing to be is telling others to get training.
What your suggesting could be really dangerous.
Where is any evidence of your claims ?

Last edited:

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
This winter I modified my Yamaha 2hp 2-stroke by removing the stop button and fitting a killcord. Safer, and makes it much easier to stop the engine as I approach the boat or jetty as I don’t have to turn around and fumble for the button.

lustyd

Visit site
No, im arguing against your stupidity of stopping an engine before youve made a boat secure and casting off before starting the engine..
There is no arguing about the benefits of using the kill cord.
Maybe we need to do a poll on who does what your suggesting?
But then again you seem the type to still argue your correct even if there was an overwhelming amount of people against your stupid ideas
Well I’m not arguing with someone who is fighting for the right to maim people. There’s only one person here saying they can’t come alongside and cut the engine. You’re not coming across well here.

Last edited:

RunAgroundHard

Visit site

I do not think it is a stupid idea, in fact, it is quite an intelligent idea for when people are at risk of shifting weight to tie up and at increased risk of falling in.

Unless the conditions dictate otherwise, strong wind or current, I have always killed the engine as I approach the boat, shore, pontoon. Being doing this since the mid 80's when I started sailing independently. Pretty sure it was taught on my competent crew course, early 80's, but to be honest I cant remember, however it is a regular feature of my boating.

Rappey

Visit site
You’re not coming across well here.
Let's see, examination bodies and professionals state to start an engine before untying , lots of articles online to support this, which i agree with.
Could it be you realise your so wrong and keep regurgitating extremely bad advice with nothing to support it other than your ridiculous opinion, and im the one that's not coming across well ? They do say you can't argue with stupid and you seem to be supporting that.

Rappey

Visit site
it is quite an intelligent idea for when people are at risk of shifting weight to tie up and at increased risk of falling in.
In a dingy then fine as some outboards don't have neutral and you need to kill the power to stop but try it with something that is heavy in wind and tide and now you have loss of boat control ?

lustyd

Visit site
If an engine is out of gear and ticking over with the prop not turning how is it going to hurt anyone?
By being knocked into gear as you fall in. There are at least a couple of these incidents a year, plenty of evidence in favour of using the kill cord and zero evidence against.

lustyd

Visit site
In a dingy then fine as some outboards don't have neutral and you need to kill the power to stop but try it with something that is heavy in wind and tide and now you have loss of boat control ?
The rest of us cope just fine and the RYA teach it this way. You’re the only one saying you can’t do this so I suggest you get some training rather than argue that your ignorance is acceptable.

Rappey

Visit site
The RYA teach the use of a kill cord so in the UK at least you’re dead wrong.
Kill cord is being used, start boat in neautral, sit down, attach kill cord and off you go.
By being knocked into gear as you fall in
So as you fall in you would also have to pull up the lever on the underside of the throttle handle to allow it to move into gear ?

Mister E

Visit site
Every outboard that I have come across you need to do something as you can not just push the lever to get it in gear.

Could someone please show me an outboard that you can just push the lever to get it into gear please?

Rappey

Visit site
The rest of us cope just fine and the RYA teach it this way.
So show me where it states you must kill your engine coming along side before you have secured the boat and where it says you must cast of before you start the engine?