Americas Cup on TV

Daydream believer

Visit site
Going okay till the incident with team Japan ( or is that NZ ) when the hull was holed, after that it sailed nose down, today it did the same. early in the first race it look like water coming from damaged area, so do they still have structural problems ?

BT have it on.

Brian

There was no water coming from damaged area. It was explained that the water was from drain holes following the useless turn at one of the buoys
All the boats sail nose down & it was pointed out that NZ are very good at keeping the windward nose just clear of the water This apparently aids stability

Greenwichman

Visit site
Been enjoying the live coverage (free) on BT Sport App ... just part with an email address to get it. Seems a fair exchange. The commentary is awful, but the visuals are spectacular. The Kiwis looking good, but BAR is off the pace. Ben Ainslie looked uncomfortable during the live press conference yesterday evening, so I suspect he knows the boat is a dog and his chances are ebbing. Total shame - the project has arguably been Britain's best .... but the series has been jinxed for us since 1851 ..... ��

RAI

Visit site
Ben Ainslie looked uncomfortable during the live press conference yesterday evening, so I suspect he knows the boat is a dog and his chances are ebbing. Total shame - the project has arguably been Britain's best .... but the series has been jinxed for us since 1851 ..... ��
I think he knows who bumped the boat and dropped the nose in the water a couple of times. It doesn't take much to lose with those boats.

Chris 249

Visit site
the project has arguably been Britain's best
It could be seen as being a bit harsh to say that the Victory '83, Endeavour and Shamrock IV projects were inferior to one that is currently one for three. Victory was the second-best in the challenge finals, taking a race off Australia II, and Endeavour and Shamrock took races off the defenders.

roblpm

Visit site
Another drubbing.

Can some explain the maths as to what we have to do to get through to the qualifiers? (or whatever the next bit is called?).

(I am actually a US citizen too so maybe my allegiance might be drifting......!).

bedouin

Visit site
Another drubbing.

Can some explain the maths as to what we have to do to get through to the qualifiers? (or whatever the next bit is called?).

(I am actually a US citizen too so maybe my allegiance might be drifting......!).
That was another poor performance .

I think to get through they just must not be last at the end of the first series (2 round robins). realistically they need 2 more wins to be safe, but may get through with just one more. They have the raw boat speed to do that, but their handling has let them down in the last couple of days - so they will be feeling very uncomfortable now.. Another crunch race tomorrow - need to win that

Daydream believer

Visit site
That was another poor performance .

I think to get through they just must not be last at the end of the first series (2 round robins). realistically they need 2 more wins to be safe, but may get through with just one more.

Personally i think they need to get the redundancy notices typed & the flights booked for home.
The way things are going they will get that wrong & book them with BA !!!!!

Chris 249

Visit site
So, if they are the team eliminated this round, or drop out early in the next, will there be another challenge in 2019? Is there a groundswell of public and sponsor support, or will an early exit turn everyone off?

lw395

Visit site
So, if they are the team eliminated this round, or drop out early in the next, will there be another challenge in 2019? Is there a groundswell of public and sponsor support, or will an early exit turn everyone off?

That would be more down to the sponsors than the public.
The whole setup in Portsmouth was always billed as an ongoing thing, more than one shot at the cup.
A 'permanent' building specially built and all that.
Obviously the small print of how the sponsors are committed can only be guessed at.

bedouin

Visit site
They should still keep the sponsors behind them - after all they won the World Series - although going out at this stage could be embarrassing.

And if the sponsors have any sense their sponsorship deals don't end at the end of next month.

Daydream believer

Visit site
And if the sponsors have any sense their sponsorship deals don't end at the end of next month.

If the sponsors have any sense they will drop them like a hot brick!
It is a very expensive thing to sponsor. The money must surely be better spent advertising elsewhere.
Even something like the Volvo must be cheaper & gets a pretty good world wide coverage.
At least there is a better chance of being in it right to the end of the game.Plus the sponsorship can end on a set date rather than drag on for years. IE not a case of " well we might do better in 2019"

Last edited:

bedouin

Visit site
It is a very expensive thing to sponsor. The money must surely be better spent advertising elsewhere.
Even something like the Volvo must be cheaper & gets a pretty good world wide coverage.
At least there is a better chance of being in it right to the end of the game.Plus the sponsorship can end on a set date rather than drag on for years. IE not a case of " well we might do better in 2019"
I should think the BAR sponsors are pretty happy with their investment so far. The team won the World Series, and although a minority sport it gets covered by the BBC, both in the regular sports bulletins and highlights programmes.

Then it is getting 2 or 3 hours a night on Freeview at the moment....

Sponsors don't necessarily care about the results - Ben Ainslie is a strong brand in his own right and a mediocre performance this week won't significantly damage that.

flaming

Visit site

I would expect the sponsors to be happy to continue. If sporting success was the only metric by which large companies decided on sponsorship then how do the bottom half of the Premier league ever get good sponsorship deals?

Richard10002

Visit site
They should still keep the sponsors behind them - after all they won the World Series - although going out at this stage could be embarrassing.

If I am right in thinking that only one team goes out at this stage, it should be very difficult for BAR to fail to reach the semis.

lw395

Visit site
I should think the BAR sponsors are pretty happy with their investment so far. The team won the World Series, and although a minority sport it gets covered by the BBC, both in the regular sports bulletins and highlights programmes.

Then it is getting 2 or 3 hours a night on Freeview at the moment....

Sponsors don't necessarily care about the results - Ben Ainslie is a strong brand in his own right and a mediocre performance this week won't significantly damage that.

His performance hasn't been mediocre, it's been outstandingly poor, winning only one race and being at fault in two collisions.
He seems to have annoyed a large swathe of the global sailing community.
And that's in the easy phase of the competition where BAR had a two point lead only needing to win about two out of eight races.

Woodlouse

Visit site
I would expect the sponsors to be happy to continue. If sporting success was the only metric by which large companies decided on sponsorship then how do the bottom half of the Premier league ever get good sponsorship deals?
Alex Thompson would have been down the dole office a long time ago if sponsors were as short sighted as some here.