American boats

G

I owned a Maxum 24 SCR for 4 years. She was 5 years old when I sold her and looked as good as new. Like anything else you buy if you look after it it will last. I have seen many British and European boats that have been trashed after just one seasons use.
When buying look for a full service history. Check that it was not a 'grey' import - the warranty info will confirm this. This way you will be certain that any modifications have been completed.
One other point check for hull stress cracking. Most manufacturers do not cover this under hull warranty (normally valid for 5 years) as they consider it to be a cosmetic rather than a structural defect but it should be attended to.
If you buy a boat with the balance of manufacturers warranty still active read the small print because certainly US Marine and maybe others charge a $100 transfer fee.
Finally, and this may seem obvious check the comfort and usefullness of the seats. They look very stylish but mine were impractical as they tended to be too narrow in the squab and too hard. I also had occasion to drive a friends cuddy cabin Bayliner and the first thing you notice to your horror is that when you stand up you can't read any of the instruments.
I now own a British boat again and do prefer it. It is a diesel - I have nothing against petrol except that in some areas it is impossible to get at a marina and when you do find it the cost can be anything from 10 to 30p per litre more than the road price - believe me I do not exagerate.

neale

Visit site
Brian

I own a 1988 2455 Bayliner. I looked at lots of American and European boats when I bought it and found that there is good and bad in both, It is mostly to do with how well it has been looked after. I setteled an on a Bayliner as it was less than half the price of a similar Sealine or Fairline. It is true that some of the materials used in Bayliners of this age is of a lesser quality such as the cockpit vinyl. I has this all replaced for a few hundred pounds which transformed the boat. The hull itself is sound with no signs of osmosis and a moisture content reading which indicates no problems. The american V8's are very durable engines, the outdrive is the weakest link. OMC drives get alot of bad press, but if they are well maintained they are comparable (some would say better) to Mercruisers of a similar age.