Alternator rebuild around Portsmout

BacktoBoats

Visit site
Hello, I have a rebuilt alternator that puts out a rather ambitious 14.3v. The guy who rebuilt it (now retired) said the higher voltage is good for dealing with voltage drops on boats. The issue is I have AGM batteries that I am uncomfortable to have sitting at 14.3v for potentially a day or two if motoring once they are fully charged. I would like to reduce the output or just turn it off at this point. The regulator is internal. I have tried disconnecting the D+ but it still fires into life once revved up. The only solution I can think of is dismantling it and putting a simple switch in the field wires, a bit similar to the standard sterling external regulator set up. However I am a bit nervous about doing this myself as I need to be sure I have a completely reliable solution.

I have searched for anyone who truly rebuilds alternators but can't find anyone locally. The one in Emsworth has shut down, Just alternators & starter motors is listed as closed.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

peteK

Visit site
Hello, I have a rebuilt alternator that puts out a rather ambitious 14.3v. The guy who rebuilt it (now retired) said the higher voltage is good for dealing with voltage drops on boats. The issue is I have AGM batteries that I am uncomfortable to have sitting at 14.3v for potentially a day or two if motoring once they are fully charged. I would like to reduce the output or just turn it off at this point. The regulator is internal. I have tried disconnecting the D+ but it still fires into life once revved up. The only solution I can think of is dismantling it and putting a simple switch in the field wires, a bit similar to the standard sterling external regulator set up. However I am a bit nervous about doing this myself as I need to be sure I have a completely reliable solution.

I have searched for anyone who truly rebuilds alternators but can't find anyone locally. The one in Emsworth has shut down, Just alternators & starter motors is listed as closed.

Any suggestions?
Most alternators put out over 14v my Lucas A127 supplies 14.4v.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

BacktoBoats

Visit site
[/QUOTE]
Hi, yes thanks for that. I am aware that 14.3V isn't exceptionally high. The issue is the recommended float by the manufacturers (Rolls) at 25 deg C is 13.8v. I had a problem with a previous set drying out whilst on charge over the winter as the Victron slightly overcharged them so I am nervous about a repeat!

Refueler

Visit site
The old split diode unit had a trait that was a pain - but in your case may be an advantage ... it caused a drop in actual voltage at the batterys by approx 0.5 - 0.7V ..... its why Sterling / Adverc and various created controllers to counter it ...

Basically the alternator was thumping out its 14.5+ V to the diode box ... the diodes caused a drop in voltage and batterys were never fully charged .... so we had a choice - fit a Sterling or other box that was battery sensed - to beat the alternator ... or alter the alternator itself.

For your setup - just the Diode box would do the job you want .... reckon you could find one cheap in a yard ... I have one not used still in my engine bay - but I'm in Latvia so not much use to you ... sorry.

burgundyben

Visit site
All I can see there is hawthorn electrics who sell electrical appliances? Do you have any more info? Thanks.
On White Chimney Row there was a place called Old Dairy Workshop, there was a fella in there that rebuilt starters and alternators, old school, knew what he was doing.

Last edited:

catalina1

Visit site
Power Components Address: Old Dairy Workshops, Whitechimney Row, Westbourne, Emsworth PO10 8SD, UK
Phone: 01243 378460
West Sussex
City: Emsworth
: PO10 8SD
Is this it ?

Never Grumble

Visit site
Power Components that was Roger I used him to refurb my alternator about 4 years ago. An old school type business dont know if he is still around.

samfieldhouse

Visit site

Refueler

Visit site
I used to use two guys - which one depended on how much work they had on at time ... one was in Titchfield Village ... other was in Havant ...

Lets be honest - there are loads of guys around who do this sort of work - any decent auto electrician who works alternators should be able to.

MrCramp

Visit site
These people are in Plymouth and were really helpful some 10 years ago when we were on passage Falmouth to Harwich and had a problem. Nice people and appeared technically very good. I think they will do a mail order service. Hope they are still there.

The Starter Motor & Alternator Co LTD

Home

Trident

Visit site
Just to confirm the above - Roger at Old Dairy Westbourne has retired after having long covid - a great shame as he was great at his job, fast and very reasonably priced. In one case I sent him a starter on UPS from the wilds of Cornwall when it broke on us, he got it next day (with a new UPS label back to me inside the box) and told the UPS driver to pop back in a couple of hours if he could... I got it back the following day , rebuilt and at a charge of £25.

andsarkit

Visit site
These people are in Plymouth and were really helpful some 10 years ago when we were on passage Falmouth to Harwich and had a problem. Nice people and appeared technically very good. I think they will do a mail order service. Hope they are still there.

The Starter Motor & Alternator Co LTD

Home
Still there and I used them a couple of times last year for a car related alternator and starter. Very helpful and will do a refurbish in the workshop at the back or supply new. They have most marine alternators in stock.