Alternator not Charging

graham460

Visit site
Hello Fellow Sailors...

I have just had a solar system fitted in My Nauticat and 4 new Batteries
The Solar system is connected to Domestic bank 2 and bank 1 is the starter bank (Both same make of Batteries0

The Solar systems is working ok.

However When I start the Engine (Bank 2 Domestic) the ALTERNATOR is Not charging

I switched to Bank 1 2 Starter Batteries Alternator Still not Charging

I spoke to the Electrician he said " he did not touch any Engine wires etc.

And Advice would be helpful especiall as we need to Sail in 2 days to move boat for Lift out 25miles away.

Regards Graham

Attachments

• 1. Alternator and GX display - 22.jpeg
    1. Alternator and GX display - 22.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2. Alternator and GX display - 23.jpeg
    2. Alternator and GX display - 23.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 4. Alternator and GX display - 25.jpeg
    4. Alternator and GX display - 25.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 21
  • 5. Alternator and GX display - 26.jpeg
    5. Alternator and GX display - 26.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 6. Alternator and GX display - 27.jpeg
    6. Alternator and GX display - 27.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 25

michael_w

Visit site
Check alternator output with a multimeter. If no output, it's probably fubar. Get a new/exchange one. Looks pretty elderly in the photo.

footsoldier

Visit site
Your first recourse should surely be your electrician? If he is worthy of the name he should be back like a shot to see what is wrong with a boat he has just worked on.

A forum is not the best place to try to learn the basics of how to use a multimeter. There are innumerable 'how to' guides on Google, and there must be countless You Tube videos on trouble-shooting an alternator.

graham460

Visit site
Hi Footsoldier.. I know the very Basics How to Test my Boat Batteries

I am Just wondering does anyone know the mak and Model of this alter ator I cannot see any Make in it, I think there maybe different types also

Regards Graham

Attachments

• Alternator Need Make  Model - 1.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 1.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Alternator Need Make  Model - 2.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 2.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Alternator Need Make  Model - 3.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 3.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Alternator Need Make  Model - 4.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 4.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Alternator Need Make  Model - 5.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 5.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Alternator Need Make  Model - 6.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 6.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Alternator Need Make  Model - 7.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 7.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Alternator Need Make  Model - 8.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 8.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Alternator Need Make  Model - 9.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 9.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Alternator Need Make  Model - 10.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 10.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Alternator Need Make  Model - 11.jpeg
    Alternator Need Make Model - 11.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 20

Refueler

Visit site
mmmmm ... maybe I'm missing something ...

"When I start the Engine (Bank 2 Domestic) the ALTERNATOR is Not charging"

Do you have BOTH banks main switches ON or just Domestic bank ? Why are you starting engine with Domestic Bank 2 if as you say - you have bank 1 for engine start ?

"I switched to Bank 1 2 Starter Batteries Alternator Still not Charging"

??? You started with Bank 2 (Domestic) then switched to Bank 1 (engine) - did you switch OFF main switch to Bank 2 or leave ON ?

Just trying to imagine it ... do you have a VSR that sits between Bank 1 and 2 ?

Most more modern systems as I understand it ... have main charge after starting to engine batts - then when near charged - VSR kicks in and domestics get charged as well ... but to start engine on domestics would require the 'jumper' switch to be engaged to combine engine and domestics ???

Usually if alternator stops charging - its diodes are blown due to misuse of switching .. suggest get Electrician back on board and check it out fully.

graham460

Visit site
mmmmm ... maybe I'm missing something ...
Hello Refueler
I was just trying the Domestic side to ensure BOTH banks can start theEngine

"When I start the Engine (Bank 2 Domestic) the ALTERNATOR is Not charging"

Do you have BOTH banks main switches ON or just Domestic bank ? Why are you starting engine with Domestic Bank 2 if as you say - you have bank 1 for engine start ?

"I switched to Bank 1 2 Starter Batteries Alternator Still not Charging"

??? You started with Bank 2 (Domestic) then switched to Bank 1 (engine) - did you switch OFF main switch to Bank 2 or leave ON ?
I Started the Engine On Bak 2 Domestic to Use up Some power (Checking the solar system Display) I STOPPED the ENGINE waited a few minutes then Started the Engine with Starter Bank 1 ALL GOOD
Just trying to imagine it ... do you have a VSR that sits between Bank 1 and 2 ?
I have a !@v Switch under the Helm It can Select Bank1 Or BOTH then Bank 2

Most more modern systems as I understand it ... have main charge after starting to engine batts - then when near charged - VSR kicks in and domestics get charged as well ... but to start engine on domestics would require the 'jumper' switch to be engaged to combine engine and domestics ???
As I mentioned abouve I was just Testing the Domestic side THE SOLAR SYSTEM POWERS THE DOMESTIC BATTERIES and The ELECTRICIAN has Installed a CYRIX Which When the Domestic are full topped up the FLOW goes from Domestic to Starter When they charge the Starter Batteries
Usually if alternator stops charging - its diodes are blown due to misuse of switching .. suggest get Electrician back on board and check it out fully.

graham460

Visit site

I Started the Engine On Bak 2 Domestic to Use up Some power (Checking the solar system Display) I STOPPED the ENGINE waited a few minutes then Started the Engine with Starter Bank 1 ALL GOOD

As I mentioned abouve I was just Testing the Domestic side THE SOLAR SYSTEM POWERS THE DOMESTIC BATTERIES and The ELECTRICIAN has Installed a CYRIX Which When the Domestic are full topped up the FLOW goes from Domestic to Starter When they charge the Starter Batteries

I have tried ALL Day to try to get an Electrician I have phoned 3 marinas and Other places.. NO Luck
QUESTION

I DON'T THINK IT WAS INCORRECT SWITCHING AS I sued the STOP button each time Engine was OFF before I switched to the different set of batteries

WHERE WOULD THE FUSES / diodes BE ON THE ALTERNATOR

michael_w

Visit site
Go and buy a copy of Nigel Calder's book, it's invaluble.
9780071790338-uk.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
Do you mean a 1 - Both - 2 - Off switch ?

If its the old switch as that - then switching between 1 - Both - 2 is fine when engine is on and alternator working as the switch is make before break. BUT it should never be switched to or through OFF when engine running.

Just asking .. are you sure the CYRIX is switching Solar from bank to bank ... ? Is it not controlling Alternator charge to either bank ?

B27

Visit site
Hello Fellow Sailors...

I have just had a solar system fitted in My Nauticat and 4 new Batteries
The Solar system is connected to Domestic bank 2 and bank 1 is the starter bank (Both same make of Batteries0

The Solar systems is working ok.

However When I start the Engine (Bank 2 Domestic) the ALTERNATOR is Not charging

I switched to Bank 1 2 Starter Batteries Alternator Still not Charging

I spoke to the Electrician he said " he did not touch any Engine wires etc.

And Advice would be helpful especiall as we need to Sail in 2 days to move boat for Lift out 25miles away.

Regards Graham
If you start with the batteries fully charged, just keep the motor running, you will have plenty of power for lights and instruments etc for 25 miles?

cherod

Visit site
Your first recourse should surely be your electrician? If he is worthy of the name he should be back like a shot to see what is wrong with a boat he has just worked on.

A forum is not the best place to try to learn the basics of how to use a multimeter. There are innumerable 'how to' guides on Google, and there must be countless You Tube videos on trouble-shooting an alternator.
Mmm , there was me hoping that you were going to give some quick easy advice on settings and which points to use , surely cant be thst difficult 😕. ( I believe it is possible to test between main feed from alternator to poss term on battery )

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The Cyrix is a microprocessor controlled VSR, it doesn't charge one battery, then charge the other. As soon as the voltage rises on one bank or the other the relay closes, joining the two banks in parallel and charging all batteries. It will do this when the solar controller is charging the batteries, or when the alternator is charging them.

The solar controller should be connected to the domestic batteries and the alternator to the engine battery, the VSR will take care of the rest.

The 1-2-B switch is junk, put it in the skip and fit separate switches for the engine and domestic systems, with an emergency switch.

As for the alternator issue, it's impossible to be much help with the limited information available, the photos don't help either. That said, is there an ignition light ? Does it come on then the power is turned on and does it go off when the engine is started ?

Refueler

Visit site
How do you know that the alternator is not charging? Is there a charge warning light?

Another question is whether the engine needed to be revved up to get charging started .... my Perkins does not charge straight away when started - I need to throttle up to a fast idle for a few secs - light goes out showing its charging - then I can put back to idle ... basically the alternator is 'tired' !!

B27

Visit site
Hi Nt too sure about the Cyrix There is NO LED to show it is working YES THE ORANGE LIGHT IS COMING ON NOT CHARGING AND THE AMPMETER IS NOT MOVING WHEN YOU SWITH ON THE ENGINE
Perhaps the ammeter broken, or no longer in circuit?
Perhaps no current is flowing because the batteries are already charged ?

If you cover the solar panel to take that out of the circuit, then
Connect voltmeter to engine battery
Select engine battery only
Start engine.

Volts should drop to 10 or so while cranking, then recover to 12-ish with no charging, or if the alternator works, the volts will go up to 14-ish.

If your batteries are all fully charged, more than 12.6 'resting' with no load, then you should be fine to motor 25 miles

But it's easier to run the engine afloat and it would be good to sort this before winter.