Alternatives to 12v cigarette lighter sockets?

oilybilge

Visit site
I don't think much of the standard 12v cigarette lighter plugs and sockets. They seem so unreliable. I often find myself having to wiggle and twist the plug around to get a connection .

As I've just bought an anchor light, the freestanding sort that hangs above the foredeck, I'm wondering if there's an alternative type of plug and socket that won't stop working at 3am on a dark night? A brief search hasn't thrown up much but there must be something, surely?

ashtead

Visit site
Yes there is a more heavy duty socket but it’s marinco or Such like makes - just search force4 chandlery website entering word “plugs” which might give some choices.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
All sorts of waterproof sockets on the market. Try RS, Furnell, 12 volt Planet and eBay to find what you want or get a decent cigarette socket. You get what you pay for!

bedouin

Visit site
Not all plugs / sockets are created equal so perhaps a better socket would help?

There are hundreds of different types of connectors you could choose. Barrel connectors are commonly used on most low voltage DV applications - such as laptops and other electronic equipment. Or you could use the IEC plugs and sockets commonly used for mains input.

Better perhaps are the barrel style that are commonly used on deck to run power to lights or your autohelm. Something like this

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg08550/multipole-socket-2-pole/dp/CN21095

Which have the advantage you can get fully waterproof ones if you need them

TernVI

Visit site
If you fit anything other than a standard 'fag lighter' socket, within a day you'll want to plug in a phone charger or similar.
Whatever you fit, someone will have used the same socket, with opposite polarity.
We have fag lighter, hella/DIN car accessory (there are a zillion 'DIN' connectors ranging from crap 70s HiFi to avionics), 5V USB and 4mm red and black binding posts/'banana' socket.

andsarkit

Visit site
You can get universal plugs that will either fit a DIN or standard socket so you can use them on the boat or in the car. I also have some 4mm binding posts that will take either 4mm plugs or stripped wire if you need to connect something in a hurry.
1620472310341.png 1620472346604.png

bedouin

Visit site
The only downside is that most of the 12v devices that you buy come with old style cigarette lighter plugs fitted, so you need a stock of whatever connection plugs you decide on.
Or you can make up a single short cable from your preferred connector to a good quality cigarette lighter socket.

oilybilge

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, chaps. I've just ordered a Hella Din plug and socket for the anchor light.

For everything else I'll just chug along with the cigarette lighter sockets.