alternate Jester qualifying challenge

hhsailor

Visit site
Hi @all,

after having a look at the former results of the jester challenge there is no way to ignore the high numbers of retiring starters.
While reflecting this there appears the question, if there's need for a step, before entering a course, that requires extended experiences of ocean-sailing and a boat, that is proven to survive all conditions, that may be met, without serious losses and shortcomings.

Thus the idea, to have a step of "jester challenging", before entering the very big leg to Newport.
I think, this was already the idea of the Jester Azores Challenge.
It proved to be a success with the significantly higher numbers of starters, that reached the goal. And of this successful participants will surely more also succeed to Newport.

But I doubt, that the Azores are the perfect reference to this kind of race: it's kinda sailing into the south and sunshine, while the challenging part mostly consists of the first days when crossing (before) the Biscaya.
But Newport isn't a destination where the sun rules the conditions and the sea.
If we instead remember Jesters initial voyages by Blondie Hasler, we find, that he was successful sailing a northern course and dared this with a boat of 25', while there were no modern advanced means, like GPS available.
Thus he had put a reference of singlehanded sailing to inspire many, who followed.

One who is following closest in his spirit, is IMO Roger Taylor, who proved this with his northern voyage to Jan Mayen this year.

And it might be appropriate, setting up a northern Jester Challenge in order to give the participants qualifying, training and fun, while also widening the circle.
You may set up a route, maybe starting at Den Helder / NL, to Scotland or Shetlands, then Rockall and Faröer, maybe finishing in southern Norway, or extending to Thyboröen / DK and Helgoland, german bight.

Thus a Jester Challenge might include in addition four seagoing nations, that maybe don't care much on a course, that is set (too) far away from there homezones and thus extend the circle of Jester participants.
You may have many starters - owner of the many small yachts, that are around - who not are involved to qualify for the Challenge bound to Newport, but just like to use this opportunity for trying with their small boat a seagoing course, that they otherwise - without support / companionship of this "race" - hadn't dare to. And who afterwards may think about sailing the course to Newport.

I believe, the basic idea of Hasler and his "Jester" and following the Jester Challenge means an encouraging of small boat sailors to dare passages over the open sea and oceans, while most of them feel limited to voyages at the coast and the waters they have around the harbour, they are located.

Races / "Challenges" that extend this smaller reach significantly - without immediately stepping up to crossing the atlantic - may be suitable to push the idea of Hasler and others, to mobilize small boat sailors trying and widening their limits.

hhsailor

helixkimara

Visit site
tell us more NOT !

Quote from hhsailer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But I doubt, that the Azores are the perfect reference to this kind of race: it's kinda sailing into the south and sunshine, while the challenging part mostly consists of the first days when crossing (before) the Biscaya.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would suggest you mension that to the 28 finishers in the Jester Azores Challenge 2008, the 13 who retired and especially to Nicholas Barham who lost his yacht Tahiti Bell on the way back. We must of been in the wrong part of the Atlantic Ocean. Wish we'd known we were on a "jolly". We have so much to learn.!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A few narrow minds restrict the flow"

nicholas49

Visit site
alternate jeester qualifying

I quite agree with the last posting, in the 13 days it took me to get there, only one afternoon was t-shirt and shorts, the night before getting in to Terceira I was expecting to be knocked down at any moment, about my first words to my son on arrival were"that's the hardest thing I've ever done, by a long way." The trip back wasn't too good either. I hope soon to put some of my films of the trip on you-tube, as soon as technology allows ie my mate comes round next.A friend of mine did the last AZAB, and was knocked down twice in a Contessa 32. It is not a milk run.

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Hmmm. Being based on the East coast, to reach the start line I have to cross the Thames Estuary, pass through the Dover Straits and then sail down the Channel. Without a shadow of doubt, this is the most difficult part of the voyage, either to the Azores or Newport - strong tides, plentiful shipping and numerous obstructions; it is difficult to manage fatigue with the limited opportunities for catnapping. I would suggest that a challenge in the North Sea has much the same limitations, a very difficult place for a singlehander for any trip over 24 hours. Plymouth, on the other hand, allows access to water free of most of these problems within 24 hours and is therefore a much more suitable starting point.

Noddy

Visit site
I feel I have to mention the hardships I endured on JAC08 when my deep fat fryer ceased to function.

Imagine... No Chips for days on end!

I was in serious danger of losing some weight!

I'm taking 2 deep fat fryers for JAC12.

Preparation is everything

Paul

Noddy

Visit site
But seriously,

I think the only real difference is the temperature. The cold is a real killer but the waves etc are still the same.. Aren't they?

Off Portugal I reached a low point when my window got stove in and everything got wet. I started talking to passing ships which gave me my courage back. I declined an offer of rescue. There were quite a few reasons for my decision but a major one was that I was not cold. I think I would have been pretty helpless if I was very cold in the same situation.

So I suspect that a northern voyage would be more challenging in some respects but I wouldn't go - For me JAC08 was both a personal challenge and a mega holiday. To go north I would want much better kit than I have now and the preparation for JAC08 nearly ended my relationship.

I do however, get vicarious pleasure when I read of Roger's exploits. Keep it up Roger!

Paul

OGITD

Visit site
Can I volunteer as Crew!?

Imagine... No Chips for days on end!

I was in serious danger of losing some weight!

I'm taking 2 deep fat fryers for JAC12.

Paul

For the next Jester Challenge if you are considering short handed sailing, then I would like to volunteer as crew.

As your approach looks like my! kind of sailing:D