All Good Things Must End.???

nortada

Visit site
Following a nasty fall, while sober, just before Christmas the Better Half has just been advised that she will not be able to actively participate in sailing again and living on board could also be very difficult, with a high risk of further falls and even more implications.

Not the way I envisaged swallowing the anchor.☹

So the die is set. We will have to sell up and return to Blighty so any advice on carriers to get some of the family treasures back would be very welcome.

Tomorrow I haul the boat at Sopromar Boatyard [Inappropriate content deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:

ean_p

Visit site
Maybe rent a suitable UK based van and do the moving yourselves! Some pretty comfortable vans around that make a long trip quite easy. Hotel for one or two nights en route depending upon how easy you want to travel!

Yngmar

Visit site
Rental van or buy car or campervan, whatever you need/want for landlife anyways. A nice long leg on the car ferry gives you a welcome break in the trip where you can rest.

Just keep in mind that cars can carry a lot less weight than boats and you may have to go twice! :)

If you rent, you have to still drive both ways, as last I checked no rental company will let you rent in one country and return in another, at least not without an exorbitant fee, and mostly not at all.

Good luck with the switch!

nortada

Visit site
Hi Chip,
Bad news indeed. Only carriers I've used are Algarve Express and Direct Transport but far more expensive these days due to customs and paperwork. Is the boat for sale or, already sold?

Many thanks to one and all for all of the very kind thoughts.

Graham Have PMd you. Many thanks for all of the good advice.

My focus now is getting all the gear home and selling the boat.

Might not be sailing in Portugal but as McArther said - We will be back‼

PlanB

Visit site
So sorry to hear that life for both of you has changed. It's tough when it's not your decision.
In similar circumstances, although I was near Estepona, there was a local UK-run removal company who handled everything at a reasonable cost, including providing the packing boxes.
Is there not a similar expat outfit somewhere near you?

nortada

Visit site
So sorry to hear that life for both of you has changed. It's tough when it's not your decision.
In similar circumstances, although I was near Estepona, there was a local UK-run removal company who handled everything at a reasonable cost, including providing the packing boxes.
Is there not a similar expat outfit somewhere near you?
Thanks but it is For better or worse, and there has been loads of better.

Got my spies, who speak better Portuguese than I do (doesn’t everybody) investigating options.

jacaldo

Visit site
Following a nasty fall, while sober, just before Christmas the Better Half has just been advised that she will not be able to actively participate in sailing again and living on board could also be very difficult, with a high risk of further falls and even more implications.

Not the way I envisaged swallowing the anchor.☹

So the die is set. We will have to sell up and return to Blighty so any advice on carriers to get some of the family treasures back would be very welcome.

Tomorrow I haul the boat at Sopromar Boatyard so somebody will be getting a very nice, EU based, 1998 Dufour 38 Classic (so no post Brexit implications) at a very fair price.

Sorry to hear that, but being a little mercenary where are you listing your boat?

nortada

Visit site
Sorry to hear that, but being a little mercenary where are you listing your boat?
Not mercenary.

Early days.

Today I hauled the boat in Sopromar Boatyard and return to UK on Tuesday. Will return to boat in the next few weeks to clear personal possessions.

Initially we were planning to sell but younger family member are suggesting we take the boat to Ayamonte. - to the family home there.

Kids?

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Once we get our gear back to the UK, we will review the future but given the remarkable amount of interest and direct approaches, I suspect it will never get as far as a listing.

Nothing will happen until SWIMBO has returned to Portugal to sort out her stuff.

Sorry for any confusion but the YBW software seems to have gone mad?

Last edited:

Zing

Visit site
Fight it!
Falling is about balance, balance is about strength. Get down to the gym and work out. Hard. Get strength as high as it can go.

nortada

Visit site
Fight it!
Falling is about balance, balance is about strength. Get down to the gym and work out. Hard. Get strength as high as it can go.
And illness, wish it was that straight forward but this way off topic so please excuse me if I don’t discuss this further.

Last edited: