All Good Things Must End.???

nortada

Visit site
Illness is another subject. You didn’t mention that earlier. You should have as it is very relevant.
This thread is about getting gear from Portugal to the UK. Not my wife’s health. So not relevant in this context.

As said, I am not about to discuss my wife’s health in these forums. Endex.?

Back to thread. Thanks for all of the good advice and PMs.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Thank you for your thoughts and kind wishes.

Although we will no longer liveaboard in Portugal, we still have a boat in the UK and as before, will live on it in the summer so will be parttime liveaboards.?

I will continue to read this forum but because I was getting so much hassle when I posted advice based my experience of 20 years in Portugal, now I seldom offer my thoughts in open form. Rather if I see a genuine request, I respond by PM.

Unfortunately other do not see these responses but that’s life.

p.s. Relinquishing the boat in Portugal should free up over £6k per annum running costs so some of this will be used to spend the worst of the winter months on shore in Portugal.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Next week we return to Lagos to put Toujours on the market.

Having reviewed what is on board we have decided that rather than repatriate most of the gear, we will be conducting the biggest giveaway in modern history, so if you are around Sopromar on Thursday 5th May come and collect you 'prize from the bilges'.

Everything has to go, either to other folks bilges, the charity shop or the skip.

shan

Visit site
Hi Nortada,

Sorry to hear about your circumstances.. We used Algarve Express to get stuff to Portugal but they do of course do the reverse trip. If you need any commodity codes (it might not be required for the return trip as it sounds like UK customs aren't checking), let me know.

Mister E

Visit site
Please post more on the forum again. I miss your contribution.
I hope you get sorted soon.

Best wishes to your wife ❤.

nortada

Visit site
Please post more on the forum again. I miss your contribution.
I hope you get sorted soon.

Best wishes to your wife ❤.
Thank you.

As to future posts, many good contributors have quit and increasingly I have found the YBW forums are not a very friendly place. Where this forum - Liveaboard Link - is concerned, it appears to be increasingly irrelevant to the life of a Liveaboard and continually revisits topics that have already been fully explored in the hope of finding wriggle-room that just doesn’t exist. Like it or not, since 31/12/20, reality is what it is, so I have little to add.☹

In the past it has been a very good place but things have changed. ??

For the future, rather than here, I will focus on the East Coast Forum.

Best wishes and safe sailing to all. ??

Edited to add more detail and correct typos.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Following a nasty fall, while sober, just before Christmas the Better Half has just been advised that she will not be able to actively participate in sailing again and living on board could also be very difficult, with a high risk of further falls and even more implications.

Not the way I envisaged swallowing the anchor.☹

So the die is set. We will have to sell up and return to Blighty so any advice on carriers to get some of the family treasures back would be very welcome.

Tomorrow I haul the boat at Sopromar Boatyard [Inappropriate content deleted]
Sorry to hear that. I have just sold my Westerly OceanLord as I had issues with the old ticker - which I think are cured, but SWMBO has put up with 16 years of Cruising for holidays and expressed a wish that we do something different. Quitting whilst ahead is always the right thing to do.
Just wondering what I will do with my time now.

PS, boat sold well, despite Broker sending out rubbish and not sending my stuff out. He didnt turn up for the sale either, so I had to do all the contracts...... I didnt want to leave the new owner with a writ stuck to the mast, so negotiated (or told him) a lower fee - but it still made me angry!

will I by another boat here???? not sure, when the sun comes out I think I may. Perhaps a 28 single engined MOBO (displacement) might not be too far to the dark side! we already have a Cornish Coble bought blind during lockdown (and in good condition - phew!) so might stick to that as Grand children love it.

So I am very sorry for your wife as it may no doubt impact other activities for her.

nortada

Visit site
Sorry to hear that. I have just sold my Westerly OceanLord as I had issues with the old ticker - which I think are cured, but SWMBO has put up with 16 years of Cruising for holidays and expressed a wish that we do something different. Quitting whilst ahead is always the right thing to do.
Just wondering what I will do with my time now.

PS, boat sold well, despite Broker sending out rubbish and not sending my stuff out. He didnt turn up for the sale either, so I had to do all the contracts...... I didnt want to leave the new owner with a writ stuck to the mast, so negotiated (or told him) a lower fee - but it still made me angry!

will I by another boat here???? not sure, when the sun comes out I think I may. Perhaps a 28 single engined MOBO (displacement) might not be too far to the dark side! we already have a Cornish Coble bought blind during lockdown (and in good condition - phew!) so might stick to that as Grand children love it.

So I am very sorry for your wife as it may no doubt impact other activities for her.

Chris,

Thank you for your kind sentiments. It appears we are both at another crossroad in life.

Today, TOUJOURS, went on the market and we fly back to the UK next Thursday. Where from here?

Well, we have another boat in Walton-on-the-Naze and a very nice apartment. Keeping TOUJOURS in Portugal is costing us about £5,000 per annum. So for the future we will probably spend our winters in Lagos in an apartment and boat locally in the UK in the summer.

Been a great 20 years in Iberia and we have met some truly lovely people.

All the best for the future,

Best wishes,

Chip

ps Chris - will PM you.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Which is worse, the threat of Orca attack or the reality of UK winter weather? :)

Anyway, keep safe Chip and maybe we'll see you back if Drs have hopefully overstated Sue's ongoing mobility issues.

Thanks Graham.

We fear that Sue’s mobility problems may be even worst than we first feared but she is getting the very best of care from the Colchester hospital and the local surgery - NHS at it’s best.

May no longer have a boat in Portugal but do have many friends.

Keeping the boat in Portugal was costing us about £6,000 pa so can still winter in the sun on shore.

Will PM you.

greeny

Visit site
Thanks Graham.

We fear that Sue’s mobility problems may be even worst than we first feared but she is getting the very best of care from the Colchester hospital and the local surgery - NHS at it’s best.

May no longer have a boat in Portugal but do have many friends.

Keeping the boat in Portugal was costing us about £6,000 pa so can still winter in the sun on shore.

Will PM you.
Glad to hear you're getting everything sorted and hope that the health issue lets you enjoy some winter sunshine out here. I hope you stay around the forums, you've got a lot of experience and history living in these parts. We've all benefited in some way in the past from your knowledge I'm sure. Keep in touch.

nortada

Visit site
Glad to hear you're getting everything sorted and hope that the health issue lets you enjoy some winter sunshine out here. I hope you stay around the forums, you've got a lot of experience and history living in these parts. We've all benefited in some way in the past from your knowledge I'm sure. Keep in touch.

Thank you, will do.

Have PMd you.??