All at Sea

oldgit

Visit site
O yes,a familar feeling........"Really really wish I was not out here" :)
Well done Mr & Mrs Tim.
More bottle than me................
Excellent half hour !

andy59

Visit site
Its weird that whilst watching you think " I would love to do that trip " , and yet a moment later you are thinking " He must be mad going out there:eek: ".
Is it just me or would you have chosen a different boat , ie nelson / fast planing mobo or ( apologies ) yacht :eek:.

oldgit

Visit site
Is it just me or would you have chosen a different boat , ie nelson / fast planing mobo or ( apologies ) yacht :eek:

But its the sheer interior space and comfort that the old tin tub provides, of course its a bit out of its natural comfort zone but ideal for the Thames inland waterways and coastal hops.
Still admire the man tho,if half the critics had half his balls :)

rafiki_

Visit site
Quite a good night's viewing on BBC 4, with the previous programme on Pepys, and his Navy Lark, plus a whimsical 30 mins with TimSpall. It did look a touch choppy out there, but the old tub seemed to handle it OK.

Divemaster1

Visit site
Calm day around Rattray Head ... our old stomping ground and that was basically as good as it gets.... messy seas, and even when starting calm, the tide creates standing waves and when the North Sea swell goes SE (even a small one), like in the programme, the result is messy.

Have once had a mirror crossing, but long North Sea swell running at approx 4M + .... enough to run us up to 22 knot at 1200 RPM....

AndieMac

Visit site
I like the way his Mrs holds on by wedging herself against all walls/floors/ceilings/doorways.

That's the other reason besides increasing deck work space on the old round bilged fishing boats, they made the wheelhouse the size of a telephone box, so the skipper could just reach up or out to hold on to something solid as the boat rolled.

oldgit

Visit site
That's the other reason besides increasing deck work space on the old round bilged fishing boats, they made the wheelhouse the size of a telephone box, so the skipper could just reach up or out to hold on to something solid as the boat rolled.

Err No.
More likely to allow only one one body in there(Skipper) and so ensure crew stay outside or have to go below for shelter.
The last thing you want on cold wet night when you are snuggled in your warm dry den is some damp oik trying to get in swathed in wet drippy gear.?
Keep Out !

AndieMac

Visit site
Err No.
More likely to allow only one one body in there(Skipper) and so ensure crew stay outside or have to go below for shelter.
The last thing you want on cold wet night when you are snuggled in your warm dry den is some damp oik trying to get in swathed in wet drippy gear.?
Keep Out !

I used to crew on a 1960's built round bilged, carvel planked, 45' ex-commercial boat that the old skipper described, "would roll on a wet lawn" :). It didn't take much of a beam sea to put her scuppers under.

Often these older type of crayfish/lobster boats 35' to 45' with about 30 pots on deck would operate single handed to keep the business profitable, but hard and dangerous work.
With a recent reduction in their fish quota, low Asian wholesale prices and new OH&S laws, I've noticed the local small operators are reverting back to single handed again.