All at Sea

oldgit

Visit site
My Aquafibre/Broom hull has got one sort off. !
BonB.jpg

Last edited:

AndieMac

Visit site
I keep reading of 'round bilge' boats, are they inherently unsuited to life on the sea?

It's regarded as an efficient hull design for full displacement vessels, but recreationally today most folks tend not to be prepared to put up with the beam sea roll and have various types of stabilisers fitted, which dampens the roll significantly.

Greg2

Visit site
Thank goodness for iPlayer. Saw the OP just as the programme finished but managed to watch it tonight. Now I would just love to do a circmnavigation of the UK.....but not in a barge!!!

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
O yes,a familar feeling........"Really really wish I was not out here" :)
Well done Mr & Mrs Tim.
More bottle than me................
Excellent half hour !

i thought it was great when he ask a harbour master where the nearest "indian" was !!!!!!............... on top of a rough sea passage ????? !!!!!!!!......... now that IS mad/stupid/or heroic !!!!!!.............. pay yer money n take yer choice !!!!!

oldgit

Visit site
Still no idea as to what engine, power etc. that was on P.M. nor its speed. Anyone know?

Perkins M135 6 cylinder normally aspirated engine.No silly engine life shortening turbos here.:)
Got x 2 on my boat.Will give around 1 gallon an hour at tickover and around 6 gallons flat out.
Top speed , reckon about 8/9 knots on good day ?

Visit site
Last nights episode: Absolutely the best episode I have seen of this show from the very first series until now and I am so glad that they gave time to Olly Rofix, a total hero down here in Ipswich. It's worth watching his treatment video of when he was in Ipswich Hospital to see that raising to the challenge of sailing an 18 ft boat around Britain was a world away from his life then and to appreciate what a great job people do in those NHS units.

Great show ! A few things to look at if you find a moment:

Olly Rofix's treatment video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HymE3NIKGI&feature=player_embedded#!

Oliver's Travels website http://www.olivers-travels.co.uk/

Incidentally, I think I will send Tim a 'How to repair a dinghy' leaflet!!

Fire99

Visit site
Cracking show. I love the fact that Tim and Shane are very 'normal folk' when it comes to the sea.

Olly Rofix did a cracking job. Saw his boat at LBS. Nice chap.

Both he and Tim are great reminders to live your life while you're alive and appreciate what you have. You never know what's round the corner.

PhilipF

Visit site
Cracking show. I love the fact that Tim and Shane are very 'normal folk' when it comes to the sea.

Olly Rofix did a cracking job. Saw his boat at LBS. Nice chap.

Both he and Tim are great reminders to live your life while you're alive and appreciate what you have. You never know what's round the corner.
Agree. Could I put in a recommendation for the absolutely excellent book written by Shane "Voyages of the Princess Matilda". Bought a copy on the day it was published, and started reading today. Brilliant read, human and really well written

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
That was quite emotional at the end :eek:

Don't forget that it is just TV & that they are actors using the programme to cover their costs & VAT. RNLI will be happy to co-operate for the publicity too.

As has already been mentioned on the Scuttlebutt thread, he has a GPS plotter switched on, so no matter how incompetent his navigation, he only has to glance at his plotter to see exactly where he is. Don't believe all the bollox on the telly & in the papers.