Algarve Marinas - Prices and Discounts

Visit site
The social side of Albufeira is what you make it. There are not many liveaboards though there are several UK owners who keep their boats here and visit regularly. Mrs Maxi does a few shifts in the local charity shop and we have several freinds in the expat community here. Also because Albufeira is a major resort area we have people coming out from the UK too and accomodation is easy for them. Though the bars etc along the dockside are not noisy they are welcoming and good meeting points.

We made our choice after spending many holidays out here so perhaps we went a different way to others. We have freinds in the south basin in Portimao and they are happy there, and clearly many are happy in Lagos and I do understand the liveaboards tend to be in the part of the marina away from the bars. I have not met any one residing in either Villamoura or Olhao so cannot comment on them.

Edited to add, Albufeira is secure enough for Mrs Maxi to return here alone when I was obliged to stay in the UK for medical reasons.

Olhão is not a marina- just classed as a small boat harbour - very cheap & therefore a two year waiting list & no visitors berths unless you can find someone who will be absent for a few weeks. There aren´t really any liveaboards but there is a healthy ex-pat community - famous for it´s support of the Olhão football club.
If you are interested in being ashore you could do worse than Nave Pegos boatyard in Faro.

chinita

Visit site
At Lagos marina they gave discount to Cruising Association members. Villamoura, did not. That was last June. Maybe things have changed. Lagos is a nice marina with a pleasant town that is good for supplies. I found the staff at Lagos very pleasant and the opposite with Villamoura but I'm sure somebody will have conflicting opinions.

I have asked at the Lagos Office about CA discount.

They told me that this was only applicable to visitors during the medium and high seasons and not to six, nine or twelve month contracts.

SeamanStaines

Visit site
We are currently in Portimao marina for the winter, they are about half full and have a lot of cats because of the pricing. They do not surcharge a multihull which is why it is so popular. I have paid euro 2470 for six months on a 12.6mtr cat. There was no room for negotiation though and (for example) extend your stay for a few days past the contract period and you are on the full normal rate. As with any marina there are good and bad points.

Good

You are easy walking distance to a large town (by algarve standards) with all of the facilities you would expect of that.

There is excellent transport links with a 15min local cheap bus service all around the area. There is also a train station.

There are a couple of local shops and cafe's about 5 mins walk away and the huge beach of Praia de Roche is the same. The resort is pretty much closed in the winter but there are still good restaurants around as well as a few around the actual marina.

Security is good (b***dy gate is broken at them moment so even better than usual) with 24hr security that is not bad.

The marina has its own boatyard (or you can use the municipal one) fairly close by and they can lift catamarans.

There is a vodafone provided Internet connection that is currently free and was euro 38 a month when they charged.

Bad

There is no liveaboard social life, we have a couple of people we talk to but that is about it (maybe we are just anti social though!)

The Marina suffers badly from swell, particularly if there have been offshore gales and worse at high tide. Its OK providing you are aware of it but you will need a lot of stretchy lines and fenders, it can feel a bit rough as a result in some conditions but I guess we have only had it bad a couple of times. It would not be enough to stop me coming here. The pontoons are not the cleverest design by a long way! Don't let them put you in a berth that has a pile in it! If you can persuade them go in the Southern basin, there is less swell but we where unable to do this (they don't like putting catamarans in there)

As a winter spot its OK but it does feel very desolate and quiet, particularly when the weather is bad. Its perked up now though :)

crisjones

Visit site
Nave Pegos yard (Bruce) is great for getting any work done on the boat and I think a few people do liveaboard during the winter as the yard does have showers etc. The yard is almost all concrete so it is relatively clean compared to some other yards!!!

We don't need to haul out this coming winter and I doubt swmbo will be too keen on a 6month stay in a boatyard. The yard is quite close to shops etc but the immediate vicinity outside the yard does look a bit rough and ready, at least it did when I was there in 2009.

Blue5

Visit site
We are planning to get down to the Algarve area by the end of this summer so will be intending to spend the winter months 2011-12 in one of the Algarve marinas.

We are a 42' cat and I can easily check out the published prices for the marinas in the area - my main question is can you negotiate any decent discounts on these published prices and which marinas are more amenable to negotiation?

I suspect most marinas are not full over the winter period so would they rather have a boat paying less than the going rate as opposed to an empty berth?

Any info on best value marinas in the area would be welcome.

Many Thanks

We are currently in Vilamoura (boat is still in UK) and I have just got back from a drive to Lagos to have a look and get prices, we also called in at Portimao and Albufiera.

We would like to stay in Vilamoura but it is the most expensive. Portimao seemed to be the cheapest and said they are not increasing rates this year, they are still the same as 2007. SWMBO did not like Portimao

Albufiera seemed keen but the marina development has never really taken off and the majority of commercial property is unoccupied and you would certainly not want to walk back from the town with shopping.

Lagos seemed nice and they were keen to promote their September to June low rate, plus side is it is near to shops and town and they have an active social scene.

Got the impression talking to all of them that they did not want to deal, prices as quoted!!

If you need any specifics on prices PM me I have the brochures here

GrahamM376

Visit site
Nave Pegos yard (Bruce) is great for getting any work done on the boat and I think a few people do liveaboard during the winter as the yard does have showers etc. The yard is almost all concrete so it is relatively clean compared to some other yards!!!

We don't need to haul out this coming winter and I doubt swmbo will be too keen on a 6month stay in a boatyard. The yard is quite close to shops etc but the immediate vicinity outside the yard does look a bit rough and ready, at least it did when I was there in 2009.

Yard is now all concrete and the new toilet & shower block is in use. Electricity problems seem to be sorted, very few power cuts these days. Bruce now has the dredger licensed so hopefully the channel outside the yard should be a bit deeper and wider before long.

crisjones

Visit site
Yet more useful info, thanks to everyone who has contributed.

SeamanStaines - A very good overview of Portimao - do you know approx cost and time for transport to Faro Airport. Also does the figure you give include elec and water or is that extra?

NDH - Surprised to hear that most marinas were not prepared to offer any sort of deal, Maxi77 in Post 13 said that most people had managed to get a discount on published prices. Perhaps because winter is a long way off they are not prepared to discuss discounts, hopefully that will change as winter aproaches and they have empty berths!!!

GrahamM376 - Do you know what capabilities Bruce has for hauling catamarans? I know he has a new travel lift but this is not wide enough for multihulls, when I was there in 2009 we launched a Westerly Oceanlord 48 and that only just fitted in the travel lift dock. I did not explore his facilities for hauling cats but there were a couple of 40' + cats on the yard so he must get them out somehow!!

It seems that a few places will not charge a multihull surcharge for the winter period, to be fair that is a pretty good incentive. Perhaps that is why Portimao would not negotiate any further, although the published tarriff does state no surcharge. Seeing as they are only half full you might have hoped for a bit more haggling rather than a "take it or leave it"

Last edited:

maxi77

Visit site
Albufiera seemed keen but the marina development has never really taken off and the majority of commercial property is unoccupied and you would certainly not want to walk back from the town with shopping.

Albufeira as a whole has a serious problem with the over supply of commercial/retail/etc property. There are empty units of all types from one end of town to the other, just as there are empty units all through the center of Portimao. There are however clear signs of improvement, ground clearance for the new sports club at the west end of the marina has started and has been going on since we arrived. There is a new chandler about to open who will also have a laundrette, and one of the other units is being readied for use too. There are laso rumours hat a new cafe will be opening later this year.

Whilst we do sometimes walk back with the shopping, before we got our car we mainly used the local bus service which is cheap regular and predictable. For the really big shops we would get a taxi back they are still cheap though perhaps the dramatic rise in fuel costs this will change.

The place suits us but may not suit all, though there are a good number of UK people keep their boats here even if they are not liveaboards.

As for the discounts, none were offered till we were here with our boat, we did just the same tours round all the marinas before we sailed and no discounts were mentioned, but when we were there in the boat they were offered straight away.

GrahamM376

Visit site
GrahamM376 - Do you know what capabilities Bruce has for hauling catamarans? I know he has a new travel lift but this is not wide enough for multihulls, when I was there in 2009 we launched a Westerly Oceanlord 48 and that only just fitted in the travel lift dock. I did not explore his facilities for hauling cats but there were a couple of 40' + cats on the yard so he must get them out somehow!!QUOTE]

I'm in the UK at the moment so can't ask but I do know Bruce gets a crane in when necessary. Why not email him - nave.pegos@gmail.com; or phone 00351 919317171, he speaks good English. When he quotes prices, they usually exclude IVA (VAT) so add 23%.

Last edited:

SeamanStaines

Visit site
Yet more useful info, thanks to everyone who has contributed.

SeamanStaines - A very good overview of Portimao - do you know approx cost and time for transport to Faro Airport. Also does the figure you give include elec and water or is that extra?

There are a few options here... The train is around euro 5 and it if there are two or three of you it would be cheaper to use taxi's at both ends (only about 10 euro) rather than the buses at three or four euro each but would take a few hours and is clearly a bit messy with the connections, it also wont work very early or late. A taxi the whole way is about 70 euro, maybe 85 euro very early or late. I always think carefully about the flight times as often the 'cheap' ryan air flight at 5:30 is not actually lower cost after you take into account the transport!

http://www.portimaouncovered.com/about-portimao/useful-information.aspx is a good link.

There is also a 'resort hopper' that operates throughout the year and providing the time works out ok is a good service at about euro 20 per person. I have not used it but others reported it as being very good. I ran a car here for the winter which worked out well (bought and sold for the same amount and cost about euro 500 to run) but I had the advantage of a local contact so it was easy for me. The algarve is littered with abandoned UK vehicles which where driven down, used for six months and then dumped!

Also does the figure you give include elec and water or is that extra?

The cost included electric an water, the electric was OK but a bit flaky at times.

Seeing as they are only half full you might have hoped for a bit more haggling rather than a "take it or leave it

I tried really hard, using my local contact that knows the Marina well and got absolutely nowhere, I think that is because you don't ever get in contact with the 'real' management and the office staff have no discretionary powers. You may fair better but don't hold your breath :)

maxi77

Visit site
SeamanStaines, I am surprised at your prices for transfers from Portimao. Yes it should be more expensive than Albufeira, twice as far, but online I can get transfers for about £5 each way. Locally it is 5 euros to the airport but 30 back. There are a lot of companies running bookings for transfers these days and quite a few providers too. Try googling for Algarve Transfers and you should get a decent choice, and competitive rates too. There is a fair holiday market for Praia de Rocha and Alvor so the transfer companies will be active. A hotel I stayed at there a few years back would arrange transfers for about 10 euros for guests, so the deals are there.

SeamanStaines

Visit site
SeamanStaines, I am surprised at your prices for transfers from Portimao. Yes it should be more expensive than Albufeira, twice as far, but online I can get transfers for about £5 each way. Locally it is 5 euros to the airport but 30 back. There are a lot of companies running bookings for transfers these days and quite a few providers too. Try googling for Algarve Transfers and you should get a decent choice, and competitive rates too. There is a fair holiday market for Praia de Rocha and Alvor so the transfer companies will be active. A hotel I stayed at there a few years back would arrange transfers for about 10 euros for guests, so the deals are there.

I cant speak from personal experience, only from the information I have gleaned from other yachts (apart from the full taxi fares which I have experienced together with the train costs). It is significantly further to Portimao though than Albufiera but clearly, if you can 'piggy back' onto an existing hotel transfer it will be cheaper. The last people I spoke to (a couple of days ago) where paying 20 euro per person for the 'resort hopper'

Visit site
GrahamM376 - Do you know what capabilities Bruce has for hauling catamarans? I know he has a new travel lift but this is not wide enough for multihulls, when I was there in 2009 we launched a Westerly Oceanlord 48 and that only just fitted in the travel lift dock. I did not explore his facilities for hauling cats but there were a couple of 40' + cats on the yard so he must get them out somehow!!QUOTE]

I'm in the UK at the moment so can't ask but I do know Bruce gets a crane in when necessary. Why not email him - nave.pegos@gmail.com; or phone 00351 919317171, he speaks good English. When he quotes prices, they usually exclude IVA (VAT) so add 23%.

I can tell you that the dock & therefore the lift can just take our Snowgoose and no wider. Bigger boats have to be lifted (at greater expense) by a crane brought in for the occasion.

maxi77

Visit site
I cant speak from personal experience, only from the information I have gleaned from other yachts (apart from the full taxi fares which I have experienced together with the train costs). It is significantly further to Portimao though than Albufiera but clearly, if you can 'piggy back' onto an existing hotel transfer it will be cheaper. The last people I spoke to (a couple of days ago) where paying 20 euro per person for the 'resort hopper'

Online resorthoppa are quoting £20 return which seems about right to Praia de Rocha and £50 for a return taxi

Blue5

Visit site
As for the discounts, none were offered till we were here with our boat, we did just the same tours round all the marinas before we sailed and no discounts were mentioned, but when we were there in the boat they were offered straight away.

Thats good news, we will be down in May/June, would be nice to meet up with other forum members for a beer.

bob234

Living on board - 8 years in Med, now in Caribbean
Visit site
Albufeira as a whole has a serious problem with the over supply of commercial/retail/etc property. There are empty units of all types from one end of town to the other, just as there are empty units all through the center of Portimao. There are however clear signs of improvement, ground clearance for the new sports club at the west end of the marina has started and has been going on since we arrived. There is a new chandler about to open who will also have a laundrette, and one of the other units is being readied for use too. There are laso rumours hat a new cafe will be opening later this year.

Whilst we do sometimes walk back with the shopping, before we got our car we mainly used the local bus service which is cheap regular and predictable. For the really big shops we would get a taxi back they are still cheap though perhaps the dramatic rise in fuel costs this will change.

The place suits us but may not suit all, though there are a good number of UK people keep their boats here even if they are not liveaboards.

Hi,

A word of warning. Be VERY careful if you have your boat lifted at Albufeira Marina. We were there in 2006 and needed to be lifted to have a skin fitting for an aircon intake. The lift manager was adamant about where he wanted to place the slings - which would have been right over our propshaft. After a while he ignored my pleas and continued having a conversation in Portugese with his staff who then proceeded to start to raise the straps. 'We've lifted many boats - it's our responsibility if we damage the boat'. Yes but it's my problem!

After shouting to everybody to stop I finally got them to move the slings in line with the clear markings on the hull 'OK as long as I take responsibility'.

We are centre cockpit and they didn't seem to realise that the engine, shaft etc is farther forward than an aft cockpit. But the real problem is they wanted to disregard the clearly marked lift points on the hull!!

It was a few years ago and the crane manager may have moved on but just in case.....

By the way, that was the only problem we had in Portugal. Overall it was a lovely experience.

Cheers,

Bob