AIS wifi connection failure with Android 13

GeoffBunyan

Visit site
For the past 3 years I have been using Navionics on Android devices connected to a Quark-Elec A024 via wifi for AIS. This season all my Android devices refuse to connect to the AIS receiver as there is no internet connection. I have been through all advanced settings, but cant get a connection without internet. Has anyone found a work-around for this issue?

kwb78

Visit site
Turn off mobile data. There is normally a toggle in the quick settings for it. Android seems to think that you always want an internet connection, so will prioritise the network which can provide that over one which doesn't. For some reason it doesn't seem to allow them to coexists so that you can access both internet addresses and local addresses on the WiFi unless the WiFi also has internet access.

I'm not sure that there's a way to prevent it doing that, but it's sometimes quite annoying. Another thing you can try is to disable adaptive networking if that's an option on your phone.

DAVAIS

Visit site
Had a similar issue with the Quark A026 a couple of years ago. Try toggling off the 'Smart Connection' feature (I can't recall the exact name, but it was something like that). This might resolve the problem for you.

GeoffBunyan

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have stated that I spent over an hour on the phone to Quark, but couldn’t resolve the issue. I will call them again next week. I will also try Samsung, which is a long shot, but you never know. I went through all the advanced and Intelligent WiFi settings & none of them allowed my devices to connect to the Quark device as there was no Internet access. I also tried turning off mobile data. Apologies again for not making this clear in my original post. I was hoping there would be quite a few people using Android devices running Navionics with a Quark AIS receiver & that they had found a workaround. If I find a solution I will post the details.

LorenzoC

Visit site
When I connect my phone or tablet to a wifi that hasn't internet connection, it appears a notification that ask me if I want to remain connect anyway.
I think is an android "feature" to prevent offline

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
When I connect my phone or tablet to a wifi that hasn't internet connection, it appears a notification that ask me if I want to remain connect anyway.
I think is an android "feature" to prevent offline
I think that the message doesn't come back again when you try to connect later. I think that "forgetting" the connection and then selecting it again may in the message popping up again and you are able to tick the option to remain connected.

I have seen this behaviour with a Xiaomi device running Android One (Android 10), perhaps OP has a later version and it doesn't behave in the same manner. Android One is about as vanilla as you'll get but it's also possible that Android 10 devices from different manufacturers will behave in a different fashion.

I think that I did see something about it being a more widespread problem with Android 12, not certain about 11.

Always difficult to diagnose problems with minimal information. I still remember people reporting "it's broken" and wondering why IT couldn't suggest a fix. Those reporting a specific problem and information such as "when using OS v nnn.nn, application XXX v nnn.nn" tended to fare a lot better.

Last edited:

Boatmi

Visit site
@Mistroma hello,
I am trying reach out to you for few weeks, i would love your help in figuring out how to measure fuel tank the way you did when changed the display in your ds42.
Please send me a message because i cant or we can continue here.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I just tried and couldn't message you either. I think there's a time delay and possibly a certain number of posts before messaging is possible. I don't want to post my email address here or hijack this thread. I was ill last year and moved house recently so haven't been on the Jeanneau forum for some time. Just spotted you there and will reply to your message.