AIS Drift net targets

jdc

Visit site
Any marking has got to be good compared to what one gets off Brazil, the Guyanas or Suriname!

5 km or more and no guard vessel in sight. Sailing at night one comes across a strobe light vaguely ahead. Which way to turn? No idea. There should be a boat at one end, but it's usually beyond visible range, and besides even if visibilty is excellent there will then be scores of boats and strobes around so no idea at all which fixed light (a boat) is related to which net end (a strobe). Add squalls coming through every hour or so, reducing visibility to 50m due to driving rain, thunder and wind up to F8 for 10 mins. My hair is going white!

And I didn't yet rant about lights: so far I've seen perhaps 100 yachts and 400 fishing boats. Not one, really none - not even by accident - have had what we'd consider 'legal' lights. One of the funniest was a yacht motoring with steaming light and masthead tri (bad enough), but that trip-colour put on 90 degrees out. No fishermen ever have port or starboard lights, and none have green over white or red over white. So go easy on our UK fishermen!

Chalker

Visit site
How deep are the nets? 3m and most of us would be clear. Any less and they will suffer the consequences of putting my wife and I at risk. Follow the line and cut/sink the lot.

dom

Visit site
How deep are the nets? 3m and most of us would be clear. Any less and they will suffer the consequences of putting my wife and I at risk. Follow the line and cut/sink the lot.

Not really cricket if the chaps have marked their nets on AIS :confused:

Blue Sunray

Visit site

Funny old thing, but the sea isn't your personal playground. There seems to have been a real effort made to mark these nets (in contrast to many pot markers). If you were to try that (which I very much doubt you'd even consider in reality as opposed to on the internet), I'd hope that you would have you day in court to try to justify your actions.

robertj

Visit site

If I was entangled that's what I would do also as really there is no other choice.

greeny

Visit site
As far as I understand it, they are only visible on AIS. There is no legal requirement to have an AIS system onboard a small yacht. Therefore they are not officially "marked" are they? I agree that something is better than nothing but I wouldn't know they were there if I didn't have the capability to receive the signal onboard.

ZBM2

Visit site
As far as I understand it, they are only visible on AIS. There is no legal requirement to have an AIS system onboard a small yacht. Therefore they are not officially "marked" are they? I agree that something is better than nothing but I wouldn't know they were there if I didn't have the capability to receive the signal onboard.

I can't see any reference to only visible on AIS. I think that if AIS senders have been invested in then lights would have been as well. Working fishermen are not exactly famous for throwing money at gadgetry for its own sake.

Chalker

Visit site
I completely agree that the sea is not my personal playground, it is open to everyone.

Neither is the personal playground of a fisherman who wants to close off a 2m wide (someones earlier post) passage to everyone else.

Try parking on a motorway.

Chalker

Visit site
I note that there is still no answer to my question, how deep are the top of the nets. If they are 3m I have no problem with them. If they are 1m I have a serious problem. Light or AIS, closing off a long length of sea is unreasonable.

ZBM2

Visit site
I note that there is still no answer to my question, how deep are the top of the nets. If they are 3m I have no problem with them. If they are 1m I have a serious problem. Light or AIS, closing off a long length of sea is unreasonable.

The use of drift nets has been reasonable for over a century, why should things suddenly be changed to accommodate your hobby? Augments about fish stocks being completely different matter.

Last edited:

laika

Visit site
I note that there is still no answer to my question, how deep are the top of the nets. If they are 3m I have no problem with them. If they are 1m I have a serious problem.

The more interesting question is how much you'd trust the answer if someone posted a reply that they were 3m+ deep...

greeny

Visit site
if I was a sarcastic person I might suggest that the AIS beacons are not there to warn anyone of the net location. It just ensures they don't lose their gear.