AIS Drift net targets

Hadenough

Visit site
Just noticed on Marine Traffic quite a few unspecified "vessels" named as "Drift net keep south" etc, etc, off Dungeness at the moment. Not seen them before, are they just what they suggest? Anyone any ideas?

prv

Visit site
Not seen them before, are they just what they suggest?

Well, I suppose they could be a sort of hoax transmission, but it seems unlikely. I would take them at face value.

If the nets are going to be out there anyway, broadcasting their location on AIS seems like a good idea.

Pete

Hadenough

Visit site
Well, I suppose they could be a sort of hoax transmission, but it seems unlikely. I would take them at face value.

If the nets are going to be out there anyway, broadcasting their location on AIS seems like a good idea.

Pete

Agreed, just that I've never seen them before.

C08

Visit site
Just looking at these on Marine Traffic. They seem about 5miles NE Dungeness then to Dungeness down to off Hastings. A total distance of about 20 miles and about 3 miles off. What a hazard particularly as most are not acquanted with drift nets and it is not always clear where they extend to. Just what you want, a disabled yacht just off the TSS?

SteveSarabande

Visit site
I have had to avoid them several times, drift nets with north and south ais beacons on them, with a fishing vessel nearby keeping watch. Always west of dungeness, always lying across tide.

Suprised marine traffic picks them up they are low powered things normally. They are a pain if you ar sailing through the area.

C08

Visit site
Indeed - so marking them with AIS is an improvement, right?

Pete

Yes having them marked is good however I do think there should be legislation to stop drift nets being set across navigation into harbours, critical routes where a disabled boat is in danger eg inshore |Portland, Bardsey Sound, Jack Sound etc. Similarly lobster pots.
I would not wish to deprive anyone from earning a living but sometimes they take the p***.

pvb

Visit site
I have had to avoid them several times, drift nets with north and south ais beacons on them, with a fishing vessel nearby keeping watch. Always west of dungeness, always lying across tide.

Suprised marine traffic picks them up they are low powered things normally. They are a pain if you ar sailing through the area.

How long are these drift nets typically? Do they use them at night? And are they always attended?

jwilson

Visit site
Interesting: looks as though for US$190 you can have an AIS beacon with your own boat details programmed in. Anyone tried?

SteveSarabande

Visit site
How long are these drift nets typically? Do they use them at night? And are they always attended?

100-200m, yes, off dungeness they are out at night. They are often marked with a multicoloured flashing light. It flashes red,green,white rapidly, like a strobe

pvb

Visit site
100-200m, yes, off dungeness they are out at night. They are often marked with a multicoloured flashing light. It flashes red,green,white rapidly, like a strobe

OK, so not miles of net then. How about attending fishing boats? Do they loiter about or just leave the net on its own to endanger sailors?

prv

Visit site

I'm surprised it's so short. There was a documentary a while back following some Cornish fishing boats, one of which was a drift netter, and while I don't remember a specific length being given they seemed to wind in miles of it at a time.

In that boat they would lurk near the nets and if something approach they would call on VHF. There was a dramatic sequence as the skipper tried to get in touch with a French trawler that was about to tow through the net. Suspect they probably wouldn't notice a small yacht at night unless it was transmitting AIS, though.

Pete