Air deck v slatted floor.

munster1967

Visit site
Hi there.
Is the much difference between an air deck floor (without inflatable keel)* and a slatted floor in an inflatable boat 2.7 meters. in terms of performance, handling etc. I specify that it's not a v floor , just laid in instead if slatted. I have option of air deck without inflated keel or slatted.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
the first dinghy I owned was an old Avon Redstart, a black one, no slats just a floppy floor - terrible.
the second was a narwhal, slatted floor, better, although it blew apart one hot day, the seams failed.
next an Avon Redstart, grey with an inflatable floor, much better, still got it, it's in the attic.
then a series of Seago 270's with inflatable keel, much, much better, but they degrade quite quickly with UV exposure
current have a Hypalon Seago 270 with inflatable keel, hoping it will last a lot longer.

onesea

Visit site
Only down side of air floor I have found if you do frequent beach landings stones and gravel get between air floor and traditional floor.
Potentially causing excess wear in these areas of you drag it.

munster1967

Visit site
the first dinghy I owned was an old Avon Redstart, a black one, no slats just a floppy floor - terrible.
the second was a narwhal, slatted floor, better, although it blew apart one hot day, the seams failed.
next an Avon Redstart, grey with an inflatable floor, much better, still got it, it's in the attic.
then a series of Seago 270's with inflatable keel, much, much better, but they degrade quite quickly with UV exposure
current have a Hypalon Seago 270 with inflatable keel, hoping it will last a lot longer.
Will an air deck increase speed of the inflatable boat without a keel. Or just increase comfort. ?

Tranona

Visit site
Will an air deck be quicker on water without a keel than a slatted floor. ?
No, nor will a keel do much for speed except that if you have enough power you might be able to get on the plane with one person. As said earlier the advantage of a keel is better directional stability.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
With just me (70kg) onboard a Hypalon Seago 270 with an inflatable keel, powered by an Epropulsion 1.0 Sprint I can get it to plane.
Add a 60kg Dog ... yes a Leonberger, even with her sitting, paws over the bow, it won't plane.
If the floor and keel aren't pumped up hard, a cool early morning after a hot day is sufficent, I can't get it to plane.
It seems that the hull has to be fairly ridged to get the right shape, and not flex.
A soft inflatable keel has about the same effect as a 60kg dog.
How's that for scientific precise experiment?