After Nov 2008 what will happen if.....

Nickcf

Visit site
...I fill up with red in the Channel Islands (well actually green when I filled up in June) and then return to the UK? After the recent Dutch fiasco when they were fining british boats with red in their tanks as they didn't know that it is still possible to buy it here, will this happen in the UK after next year?

My understanding is that if fuel is in your tank for your own use (ie not in cans which can be removed) then it is not being 'imported' and no tax will be due but anyone know the current thinking (or isn't there any thinking....).

wavelet

Visit site
Diesel purchased from a supermarket garage in north France, near Calais, cost one Euro per litre and is not agricultural so includes tax. Diesel purchased in Britain cost one UK pound Sterling per litre for non agricultural, ie. white. So why bother carrying spare cans over the Channel as it's cheaper there even not buying the cheaper type.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So, are we saying we need diesel cruises to France?

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon there will be some maths needing doing. If you moor in Dover or Ramsgate its probably worthwhile, or if you have vast tankage. If France is 100 miles each way and you have 120gal of tankage I don't think it works. What might be the rules on a trailed bowser, if the ferry company let you?

sunquest

Visit site
I think it will make economic sense to me as I am berthed at Chatham Mdl and my combined tanks hold 1000 litres. Not withstanding of course, 2 x 355hp Caterpillars.
Geoff

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
With numbers pulled from the sky but the point is worth you doing careful sums for your boat.
Assumptions.
UK price £1.00
France £0.75
1000l tank

100m at 10kn at 30l/hour = 300l so £300 to get there and £225 to get back For safety you start with 500l in the tank and fill up in France. You get home with £525 worth of fuel which has cost you £525 to go and get, so in practice you have spent £1050. If the purpose of the trip was simply to obtain cheap fuel you would have been better off, by £50, to stay at home.

If the nearest French fuel berth os 50 miles then 150l to get there and only 250l in the tank then £150 to get there and £113 to get back. 900 French litres sets you back £675. You get home with £638 worth of fuel wich cost £263 to go and get, so you spent £900 in round terms.

I'll stop now before I lose the will to live. The EU will have made UK motor boating almost non viable save for the rich. Grabber Gordon't greedy attitude to biofuels merely adds to the problem.

As I said, I reckon you need to be close to be worth it. I'd like to see some real figures based on real consumption, I've no idea what mine will be bust suspect the Thames will be too far.

Nickcf

Visit site
I think it's more a case if you are going on a trip somewhere, it will be worth going to France for many south coasters and filling to the brim (saving up to £250 per fill) than going to an equivalent distance British marina. Also more fun going abroad and the restaurants are a lot cheaper!
Better still, go to the channel islands and save a lot more...........!!