aerial cable

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Check out Maplins etc for connectors. Bound to be some signal loss, but you will always have at least 2 connections in the system anyway - one at each end /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Beadle

Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles f
Visit site
That will do it.

BNC connectors are better, they will give less loss than PL259 stuff.

I had a joint in my cable for years using 2 male flying connectors and a female-female adapter. _ never had a problem.

If you can find someone with a proper crimping tool get him to fit crimped connectors for you.

brianrunyard

homepage.ntlworld.com
Like this

259.JPG

Talbot

Visit site
I have a BNC join about 2 ft away from my pl259. That allows me to connect to the AIS or to the VHF .

BNC is easier to make a good joint than pl259.

rogerdog

www.bristolchannel.co.uk
If you can avoid it -do so - joining coax (particularly outside) is usually at some point problematic. If its outside the sealing is, even with self amalgamating tape) often not 100% and once water gets into the coax the coax should be replaced.

Even if in a protected environment -the connector is the most likely point for problems.

A pain to thread a new piece, even using the old to pull it through I know - but it's a 100% better job and not much more expensive by the time you have bought the connectors needed to join the RG58 (I assume) in addition - if replacing get the proper mil spec RG-58/U (or simerlar) with tinned conductors

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
You have two choices: Use connectors or splice the cable.
If you use connectors you can use:
A PL259 on each end connecting into a barrel connector - also called a PL258. This is a double female. This joint is mechanically strong but is quite large. You need to tape the joint with self amalgamating tape if it's outside.
Or you can use a male and female BNC connector - these are bayonet type connectors normally used where you frequently connect and reconnect. The threaded version of this connector is the TNC which would have greater mechanical integrity.
If you don't want to use connectors you can join the cable. Strip back the outer coat to reveal the braid. Fold back a length of braid. Trim the dielectric off the centre core. Repeat on the other half of the cable. Twist the centre cores together securely. Tape over the joint. Pull the braids over this joint making sure the braids from each half overlap each other. Tape this joint.
It's essential you make a good joint or you can damage your radio. Many will say you are foolish to even try it, but I've done it successfully in the past.
Best of all would be to pull some new RG8X cable through with the old RG58.

Talbot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to be dim but i am not sure what you are refering to when you say BNC how do i join with BNC

[/ QUOTE ]

From maplins and other sources you can buy a male and a female connector. - male one side, female the other and away you go!

The BNC connectors come in various types dependent on what you want. I prefer to solder mine, but http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm shows you how to assemble a non-soldered version.