Advise – Channel Isles & Scilly Isles.

CliveG

Visit site
We are heading off next week on a 2 week charter in a Bav 42. (Fin Keel draught 6’)

We are planning to go the Channel Isles and St. Malo.
Is it feasible to overnight off Sark?

The Crew want to do a long passage.
I and considering St. Malo to St. Mary’s in the Scilly Isles.

The Almanacs say that there are visitors moorings available but having done a 30 to 36hr crossing we don’t want to arrive to find no space at the inn.

Is there a problem with moorings in St, Mary’s?
Any viable alternatives?
We will need a good nights sleep and don’t fancy standing anchor watch.

CliveG

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
there are lots of visitor's moorings in st mary's though it can get quite crowded at this time of year. if it's full there are plenty of good anchorages within a short distance.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
You can o/night in Sark but must get a good eather forecast first so you kno where its best to go.

You have my number call me if you want advice in advance.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.soltron.co.uk>the website</A>

BrendanS

Visit site
I've always found that refering to any of the 'blobs' in that part of the world such as the Scillies or CI, as the French Islands, or the Little French Rocks, is particularly well received ;)

(tongue firmly in cheek)

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

qsiv

Visit site
As Dom says not only a good weather forecast, but a good weather 'previous' helps as a number of the anchorages (Dixcart and Grand Greve in particular) can be exposed to swell. We spent a lovely day and evening in Havre Gosselin (the landing there can be exciting) last year, only to be woken up at 01:00 by no wind, but a swell appeared out of nowhere that was very trying. Fortunately I had 4 lines out to the bouy (if I know it will become bouncy I put a chain bridle on), but even so we had chafed through 3 of them ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

jeanne

Visit site
Locals call it Scilly...there are also visitors moorings at Tresco, both in New and Old Grimsby, or you can anchor in safety in either; watch for wind against tide chop in anything with N in it. There is a lot of weed, so make sure your anchor is well set. St Marys moorings also no good in NW. Try anchoring at Porthcressa on the other side in westerlies. Very good anchorages either side of the sandbar between St Agnes and Gugh depending on wind conditions and at any state of tide. Holding in both is good on sand. We usually make for St Agnes on passage back from Brittany. There are also a few moorings at St Martins off the Island Hotel. If you are not sure about moving about, take the local launches from your chosen spot.

Scilly is magical - have a great time

<hr width=100% size=1>

brianhumber

Visit site
Sark - have anchored on East and West sides suggest get a good forecast choose the lee, but watch the swell direction.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
If you want a mooring the best time for arrival at the harbour to find one free is around 0900, as a few will have been vacated then but they will fill rapidly during the afternoons, if weather conditions are good, just like yesterday!

If the wind is west or northwesterly anything of 4 and above it will be more comfortable elsewhere, i.e. New Grimsby, Portcressa, The Cove St Agnes.

<hr width=100% size=1>

billmacfarlane

Visit site
You've already got lots of good advice re the Scillies. A'll I'll say is try and time your arrival at the Scillies for morning. It'll give you all the time you need to select an anchorage depending on which direction the wind is blowing from.

<hr width=100% size=1>

CliveG

Visit site
Thanks for that.
Good sugestion.
Timing our arrival may be a bit difficalt as we plan to go from St Malo.
Thats a 200 mile run. We will try to work it.

Will report back in 2 weeks.

<hr width=100% size=1>