Advice welcomed on Moorings and costs

G

Hi,

I am looking into buying a small yacht say 26ft. I am hoping to get a Sadler 26 or similar. I have been looking into the costs of storage and moorings and the top level look has almost put me off completely due to the cost. I am hoping to keep the boat in on the South Devon / Cornwall coast and wondered if anyboady could share their cost of moorings or maybe even put me in touch with somebody offering a sensibly priced solution!! What do you guys do about this???

Many thanks in advance to any replies.......

tony_brighton

Visit site
What sort of price range are you looking for? Or - what have you been quoted (price/facilities/tidal access etc) that puts you off?

andrewhopkins

Visit site
10% rule

When I first started sailing, I was told to estimate 10% of the purchase price as an annual cost. I thought this was a bit rough but my £60K boat has cost me almost exactly £6000 in the last 12 months (berthing, service, repairs, etc) and my friends £5000 F18 cat has cost him about £500.

QED ?

trevor

Visit site
I keep my boat in Dartmouth.
Noss marina, a shared berth there costs £220 per metre or they have river moorings with use of the marina facilities for £170 per metre.
The Dart river authority has various moorings from about £50 per metre.
There are also some moorings at "Hole Farm" but these are shallow and drying, not sure about cost.
I hope this is useful, you can email me if you need any more info.

trevor

Visit site
Re pugwash:
Yes there is a waiting list Dart authority moorings 2-3 years!
Another possibility is moorings in the Exe these are more readily available, but the Exe is not an easy entrance and many of the moorings are drying also no proper marina facilities.
If you can afford it the Noss river moorings are the best bet.

yachtcharisma

Visit site
I pay about £420 per year for a 6.3m (21ft) boat on the trots in the River Plym in Plymouth. Contact Cattewater Harbour Authority, 2 The Barbican, Plymouth (01752) 665934.

Cheers
Patrick