Advice on Irish Waterways needed

PEJ

Visit site
I am thinking of hiring a boat and doing the Irish inland waterways next year.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Which company to hire from or avoid, what is the best area to cruise in, best places to overnight in, etc, etc.

I think I would have a 7 day trip.

PatrickH

Visit site

Which company to hire from or avoid, what is the best area to cruise in, best places to overnight in, etc, etc.

We did a week long trip on the Shannon two years back - Carrick on Shannon to Portumna with Emerald Star (Le Boat). We had a 4 berth 40' Caprice - very basic but did the job. (This was before we got our own boat!) A guide book/map was provided and we managed most of the recommended stops. The only downside was Carrick on Shannon on a Saturday night - lots of stag/hen parties and very hard to get a meal without a booking after a long days drive - the party on the boat next to us until 4am was also not amusing.

We stopped overnight at Tarmonberry, , Athlone, Shannonbridge, Terryglass, Garrykennedy and Portumna.

BGW

www.marina.ie

One of the best companies for good quality new boats is Silverline
(No connection - I have my own boat, but have friends that use them a lot.)
Unfortunately due to the comparatively high costs of boat rental in Ireland, and the failing economy, the business for most hire companies is in decline so beware of older tatty stock at some companies.
The Shannon Erne waterways are a wild environment - not overly sanitised like the Broads and the boats can have a hard life.

Having said that, the vast diversity of waterways that make up the Shannon and Erne waterways are well worth the expense in my mind.

To do any justice to the waterways you should budget for a three to four week stay, or plan a few visits to cover all areas.

Whopper

Visit site
+1 for Silverline in Banagher. Absolutely the best hire fleet on the Shannon. They have two particularly nice new Haines 400s.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Firstly Irish waterways fall into two primary boating experiences:

• Lakelands and Rivers - Shannon, Erne, Shannon-Erne Waterway (SEW)
  • Canals - Grand Canal, Royal Canal, Barrow Navigation

The Shannon and Erne have wonderful large loughs which are like vast inland seas but without tide or swell. The Shannon and Erne also have wonderful wide river channels connecting the various loughs. The Irish Canals are broad guage and suited to barges and small canal craft.

The hire companies predominantly service the Lakelands and Rivers market on the Shannon and Erne which are both connected via the SEW. For a weeks holiday I too would strongly recommend Silverline cruisers in Banagher which will give you the choice to spend time on the vast river Shannon or on one of the large loughs such as Lough Derg or Lough Ree. If planning on the Erne I would highly recommend ABC (Aughinver Boat Company) or Manor House marine.

Silver line on the Shannon probably have the highest spec fleet on the Shannon with a semi-private spec to their boats including radar arches, canopies, big inverters, microwave, carpets, TV/DVD, GPS plotters, etc. They have received a lot of new craft in recent years, and are a well run family run outfit. No connection btw, we just used to hire from them and others before buying our own boat many years ago.

For a weeks holidays I would recommend a visit to Lough Derg as it has many scenic harbours, towns and villages on the Lough. It has popular busy harbours as well as quite out of the way nuggets. You will be amazed at the vast leisure boat infrastructure on the river Shannon and Erne. If you have nervous passengers that may not like being on large loughs then you could consider spending time on the north shannon with its river sections cutting through many small sheltered lakes, near Carrick on Shannon hiring from either Carrick Craft of Emerald star, both excellent large operators.

Few taster pics

MountShannon on Lough Derg
DSCF0904.JPG

Anchoring overnight on the Shannon
DSCF0852.JPG

Lough Derg
DSCF1036.JPG

Parker Point Lough Derg
DSCF4411.JPG

The River Shannon navigation is 360km long
DSCF2422.JPG

The Irish Lakelands and Rivers is one of our best kept secrets :)

BTW, don't be afraid to ask for discount and to bargain for a good deal, most operators would bite your hand off for a weeks charter, but as Brian has recommened avoid the operators with older rundown boats, go for quality.

Last edited:

PEJ

Visit site
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Great photos OF!

Many years ago I did the River Thames on a hired boat and you just pulled up to the bank and tied on and spent the night there. Is it the same in Ireland or do you always make for a marina?

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
You can do the same but most folk head for one of the harbours or small public marinas. There are also riverside jetties in many villages. There are plenty of nooks and crannies to tie up for the night away from passing traffic. The charts given out by some hire operators tend to guide their clients to what we call the virtual 'hand rail' down the middle of the lakes, but there are many more navigable places to visit. Another company Waveline on the inner lakes north of Athlone offers a good service. The Erne has an array of small isolated mooring jetties in out of the way places, but perhaps not as many villages as lough Derg or the north Shannon.

PatrickH

Visit site
We've just booked our second Shannon holiday, this time using Silverline to cruise Lough Derg at the start of June - booked the Silver Ocean, a Haines 400:) so should be good.:D

Just need good weather now...

BGW

www.marina.ie
We've just booked our second Shannon holiday, this time using Silverline to cruise Lough Derg at the start of June - booked the Silver Ocean, a Haines 400:) so should be good.:D

I can guarantee the weather will be better - the rain is always warmer in the summer. :D

Have a great time!

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie

Enjoy. Lough Derg is a treasure and only 2hr cruise from Banagher so you should be able to get down to Derg on the day you collect the cruiser if you collect before 3:00 for your first night at somewhere like Portumna Castle Harbour or Terryglass, but both will be busy on summer Saturday evenings (ie assuming you start on a Saturday). The last opening bridge at Portumna is 19:30 but it would be better if you can make the 17:30 bridge which means beeing at Meelick lock by 16:10, requiring a departure from Banagher at 15:10ish.

If you can get down to Derg on your start night it effectively adds one day to your cruising Holiday. On return day recommend overnighting in Castle harbour so you can get the 09:45 bridge to be back in Banagher at 11:45 (ie a bit later than hire operator usually likes but if you ask they often agree. Gives you the full week to explore lough Derg.

There are miles of fabulous walks through Portumna forest park accessable from Castle harbour. Mountshannon is a treat and recommend An Cupan Caife http://www.ancupan.ie restaurant. In Garrykennedy there is excellent pub grub in Larkins. For fine dining "Broca on the Water" off the beaten track in Kilgarvin is a special treat but need to book well in advance. It's in the middle of nowhere! Historic Killaloe with its cathederal is a great spot to spend a night or even two, plenty of restaurants and pub grubs.

I would highly recommend a visit by boat to Ardnacrusha hydro electric dam if your charter operator gives permission which they may do if you are are an experienced boat handler. You will need to drop the canopy and radar arch to get under the bridge at Killaloe and under the guillotine gate at the massive parteen weir to enter the 10km long head race canal supplying the dam. You can moor outside the dam lock and if you book with the lock keeper he might give you a tour of the dam and powerstation (week days only). Explain to the charter company that you don't want to go through the lock at the dam just visit it for a look. It takes about 90min to get from Killaloe to the Dam at displacement speed.

If you are into anchoring there are some wonderful and sheltered anchorages off the beaten track on Lough Derg (ie Cloonalea bay, behind Holy Island, Black Lough, etc).

A common mistake by charter boats is to dash around briefly exploring as much of the river as they can in a week rather than slowing the pace of life and lingering to enjoy nice spots and getting the time to chill and savour time out.

Enjoy and hope you get the weather.

Last edited:

Whopper

Visit site

You can stock the boat up in Banagher town. Buy your meat in the local butcher rather than supermarket. The exterior of the shop is not the most appealing but it is some of the best steak I've had in Ireland! Killaloe is probably the best spot for you after Banagher for supplies.

Plenty of info on www.iwai.ie

Paulok

Visit site
I would avoid Scarrif on loch derg if you can. We spent a night there and we're besieged by teenage yobs partying and throwing their empties at the moored cruisers. There were about 30 of them and two cruisers so not pleasant to say the least. It would have been too dangerous to appear on deck and try to leave. This was the the only negative of the holiday although I hear this also happens in Athlone

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
The Athlone UDC marina has reasonable security. Haven't ever experienced yob probs there. On the north quay beside the pubs may be noisey at weekends.

Tips for Derg:
Portumna Castle harbour
Terryglass on weekdays
Garrykennedy marina or old harbour
Mountshannon is scenic
Killaloe superb

Agree with Paul, harbours like Scarriff and Dromineer not top of my list. But nice out of the way spots in the middle of nowhere include Kilgarvan and Rossmore.

Whopper

Visit site
Incidents like that in Scarriff are generally isolated incidents on the Shannon. I've never had such troubles anywhere (touch wood). Simple call to the authorities will sort it swiftly! Local businesses won't (and can't afford to) stand for that kind of thing.

@PatrickH: Will you have children/teenagers travelling with you? If so, the more busier spots Oceanfroggie says to avoid at weekends or altogether have good facilities for young kids such as play grounds etc.

For teenagers there is waterskiing/wakboarding coaching in Portumna and perhaps sailing in Dromineer.

pks1702

Visit site
We had a great time a couple of years ago as a distraction to UK boating.

Fully agree with OF re Lough Derg fantastic area you could easily spend a week. The weather was not great but the welcome made up for it.

http://vimeo.com/25316154

JClarkes

www.jclarkemarine.com
You cant go wrong near Lough Derg. Another one for Silverline in Portumna.
I used to work in Portuma every week fitting covers for a guy called Billy Shaw (if I can remember right).
Stayed a lot in Roosky, Dromod, Glassan Golf Club and Hodson bay and chatted to tourists who were cruising, all usually loved Lough Derg especially Killaloe

Shannoner

Visit site
Agree with Paul, harbours like Scarriff and Dromineer not top of my list. But nice out of the way spots in the middle of nowhere include Kilgarvan and Rossmore.

You're a bit hard on Dromineer Froggie. I love the place, the food in the Whiskey Still is excellent, especially the seafood chowder, plenty of it and reasonably priced. And if you are there on Friday night there is usually some good traditional music.
http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restauran...he_Whiskey_Still-Nenagh_County_Tipperary.html

The hostel at the harbour does a lovely breakfast, and you can stock up with their lovely homemade scones and bread while there. All in all a very friendly place IMHO, so much so that I moved my boat from Banagher and now berth it in Dromineer. Have to agree with every thing else that Froggie (the unofficial Lough Derg tourism guide :D) has said. IMO The South Shannon from Athlone down to Killaloe is the nicest part of the river with Lough Derg being the best part of it, and Banagher is bang in the middle, so a good starting point.
Silverline run a good modern fleet and you won't be disappointed with them. But please don't give Dromineer a miss if down on Derg!
There is a lot of info here on Irish inland waterways http://www.iwai.ie/index.php
So to all of you who are planning to cruise our beautiful river this summer, you are very welcome and enjoy!
Mick

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Hi Shannoner. In fairness perhaps I haven't done Dromineer justice. Agree the hostel does the best cooked breakfast south of Heidi's and the food in the Whiskey still is good. When our children were young the playground was popular. But a real pain is no shops except that kids sweet shop that doesn't even sell newspapers or bread. I suppose since Garrykennedy marina opened and Mountshannon was improved Dromineer is less the centre of gravity it used to be ten years ago.

Ps: forgot Dromaan as a super overnight spot for peace and BBQ

PatrickH

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments guys! We have done part of Lough Derg a few years back, Terryglass, Dromineer, Garrykennedy and Portumna. Starting at Banagher this time allows us more time for the Lough though.
I'm hoping we can get the boat early enough to get to Terryglass for first night though we won't know if it's possible until the week before. No kids on this holiday :) We stopped at Terryglass last time and the wonderful landlady came down to the boat to pick us up! Also loved Larkins @ Garrykennedy and the harbour there. Not sure about anchoring, will see if company ok with it, also Ardnacrusha.

On the return we aim to be back at Banagher on the Friday night so nice relaxed departure as we have the ferry back from Dublin early afternoon.