Advice for a year of sailing

alex199020

Visit site
Hi, my names Alex, i'm 22 years old and just finishing up at university! However I've planned to avoid the big bad world of work for a little longer and i'm taking a year out to do as much sailing as i can.

I currently race laser SB3s (now SB20) and cruiser racers, and i've done some regular cruising in there aswell. I started sailing when i was about 13, sailed an SB3 from 14 to 16 and cruiser racers for a few years on and off after that. Started again in SB3s fairly regularly for the last 2 years. Unfortunatly i've be quite silly up till now and never logged anything! I would say i'm fairly competant, if you threw me in a boat the chances are i'd be able to get it moving and sail it half decently but i would really like to learn more, i'm no where near as good as i would like to be!

I'm posting here as its coming up to the end of uni and the time i can begin! However i'm trying to find out some information as i've never done this before so i'd like to avoid any major screw ups. I would really like to do some sailing abroad and do some long hauls as i've never really been able to do that. So down to the questions!

First off is there any general advice people would give someone in my position, anything i should ensure i have/do etc etc.

Can people reccomend any good places to find crewing spots. I've seen crew seekers international, is that good? bad? Are there any others that i should be 'stalking' (for use of a better word). I haven't had much time to look yet with exams etc etc but i was going to have to ask at some point so nows a good a time as any.

When it comes to boat costs if you get a place on a boat what is the 'norm'? I.E, i assume the cost of food is split, what about fuel, maintanance etc. Also is there any particular etiquette i should be aware of in this department? So far i've been blessed and had skippers that have never asked for anything and always refused contribution but, to be realistic, that won't be the case on the whole.

Are there any courses that are a Must? I did my day skipper theory a while ago and will probably do the practical over summer. If i do manage to do some costal and offshore stuff is it worth doing something like the RYA offshore safety course? Also would a first aid course be a good call?

Basically any advice you have would be much appriciated.

Sorry for lots of questions and thank you in advance for any help.

Many thanks!

Sailfree

Visit site
Your problem will be balancing what you want to do with what you can afford to do!

If a member of a sailing club a number will be seeking crew.

Where are you based?

First aid qualification is good but not sure how much you can learn on RYA 1 day course. Alternative may be to join your local St John's or Red Cross.

Day skipper practical is good but weeks course and exam is prob about £600.

Delivery crew may be good but I have no experience.

Further RYA course like YM are fine but you need experience as well.

Sea survival course I would do after YM as part of a commercial endorsement req.

prv

Visit site
I guess the crucial question it would be worth clarifying is the financial situation. Whether you're looking to earn a living from sailing, or lucky enough for whatever reason to be able to live for a year without earning much or anything, and are just looking for sailing opportunities that don't cost too much.

Pete

alex199020

Visit site
I'm going to be living in Leeds (not perfect for sailing but hey ho) but have a car so getting here there and everywhere is no problem.

Financially i'm not dead in the water, i have around £6500 to play with ( i will need to get some new kit with this though as mine is around 6/7 years old and its composition has moved more to duct tape rather than actual material!). My boss at my current part time job is also really good and is keeping me on the books so that whenever i'm not sailing i can grab some more money. If i could find some money earning sailing that would be a bonus!

Thanks

armchairsailor

Visit site
Isn't it easiest for students to just go bankrupt and bugger off for a year or two? Sailing the 7 seas would be perfect in that case!

What about getting a job on a tall ship? I chickened out of doing that when I finished uni. Ended up doing archaeology instead - recently voted to be one of the least useful uni courses to do. I can vouch for that as I'm still doing it 20 years on... But I digress.:eek:

This site would be useful for keeping your ear to the ground as far as long passages go - a few of the liveaboards around here sometimes look for crew. I've heard of folk that become regular crew for people doing staged circumnavigations - in that case it's a matter of who you know.

Consider looking on Sailnet for opportunties too - it's mainly US based, but it is a very large community.

V1701

Visit site
Hi Alex & welcome,
I used Findacrew to get some experience, pretty much my first ever sail was from Thailand to the Maldives, 1500 miles across the Indian Ocean. I paid share of food, fuel & ports of call expenses, which I think is pretty normal for this sort of crewing arrangement, though some I spoke to wanted, say, a flat $100 a week instead. Skipper was more bothered about how we got on & whether I could cook a decent meal than actual sailing experience, even though there were just the two of us. You have to pay to use Findacrew but it worked for me. Hope that helps, good luck & enjoy your year...:)

prv

Visit site
What about getting a job on a tall ship?

Can only really speak for the Tall Ships Youth Trust rather than any other ships/organisations, but they require all volunteers to have sailed at least once as (paying) voyage crew before being selected. The only exception is qualified teachers or others who work professionally with "young people", who can come straight on in the "Youth Mentor" role. I think this is normal for all ships that have a "volunteer" class of crew between the paying punters and the certificated watchkeeping officers. You could jump straight on to something like the Picton Castle with a single type of crew (and for a year out it looks amazing) but the price is prohibitive.

All that said, on one voyage I did there was a guy who had come out as voyage crew for ten days a couple of months previously, extended into an empty slot on the following voyage for a heavily discounted price arranged with head office, morphed into a sort of supernumerary role among the volunteers on the leg after that, and was now essentially working his passage back to the UK as he no longer had the cash for the air fare (or much else). Working on rig and deck maintenance on a square rigger takes a toll on your clothing, so by the point I joined he was mostly dressed in donations from crews heading home and t-shirts found in the engineer's rag-bag. The only item he'd brought out with him and was still wearing was his rigger boots, and these were banned from the accommodation as he'd stopped wearing socks :)

Pete

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
I spent a year sailing before University. If you're looking at leaving in the next few months, it's worth considering an Atlantic circuit (or a transat then on to the Pacific, but you'll need to fly home to be back within a year). You probably know this, but most UK boats will leave in the summer, get down to the Canaries around Sept/Oct and leave for the Caribbean in Nov/December, returning to the UK around May or June. So the timing's great for a year away. That's what I did - ended up crewing on about 6 boats over the course of the year mostly sharing expenses, but I was paid to help crew a boat back.

One thing I wouldn't particularly advise if you want to do it on a budget and don't have a particular schedule is going down the 'organised' route (i.e. paying a company). You can do the same trip for much less money on a private boat. Some boats charge an actual share of food/fuel costs, other skippers prefer a fixed rate. I think the most I paid was £15 a day as a contribution, but probably only £10 on average (although that was in 98/99 so you'll have to add a bit I guess). It's an incredibly cheap way of life..

For finding a berth, I've used Crewseekers a few times and it's a good service. Lots of opportunities out there! It's also worth looking at the Crewing Association, who (?used to) do a free crew wanted list available to non-members. I organised a passage down to the Canaries from the UK, then found another boat in the Canaries to the Caribbean.

Once you're 'out there', it's a small world and a lot easier to meet people and hear about boats that need crew. Walking the pontoons and just asking around, along with the obligatory 'crew available' poster, can get you a long way. Lots of people recommend trying your luck at the start of the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (just because there are a lot of them in the same place!), but I found places on ARC boats few and far between - they've known their exact departure date for ages and nearly always have crew sorted out a long time in advance. Might be a different story if you contacted them earlier via the internet. I went from the same island at the same time, but on a non-ARC boat.

I had a few certificates, which are very useful to show people you actually know what you're getting into (probably their main concern!). Things like offshore safety and first aid will show people you're serious about wanting to sail rather than just a hitchhiker who decided it might be a good way to spend some time. Generally though, skippers are more concerned about taking on people who are willing to learn and have the right attitude/personality fit. It obviously helps if you come across as trustworthy and easy to get along with.

If you want to get more serious paid work on a charter boat, qualifications and experience become more important - I think most will want to see an STCW95 which costs a fair bit to get but could be a good investment- but there is more casual paid crewing on deliveries.

Probably the most important thing is finding people you'll get on with, and vice versa. I ended up hating one guy on my first boat with a passion (he had a more than usual number of annoying habits which you never escape when you're on the same watch and share a cabin, combined with a really irritating personality..). Find out if a prospective boat really wants crew or just needs to comply with insurance requirements (which apparently often specify 3 or more adults). And obviously you need to exercise your own judgement about safety, skipper's experience and so on..

Good luck. It's a brilliant way to spend a year (or more..)!

alex199020

Visit site
Thanks for all the replys so far,

one thing i forgot to ask is how does sailing to other countries work in regard to visas, are they required or is a passport all you need?

Thanks!

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
I recommend that you complete your Day Skipper practical. With this along with a background in dinghy sailing you are likely to be accepted as delivery crew. Put together a clear and professional CV, get a couple of good references and begin applying to all the delivery companies you can find.

To register with us: http://www.halcyonyachts.com/crew2.html

If you want to call me I would happily answer any questions you might have.

Here is what some of our crew have said:

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/testimonials-crew.html

Good luck,

Pete

PhillM

Visit site
Alex, for what its work here's a different take.

You have £6,500 so why not just buy a small cheap boat (bilge keeler) and stick it on a half tide mooring, then do all the sailing you want.

There are loads of boats available, if you're not too fussy. Here is one on ebay (at £1K when posted but I expect it will rise). I know a chap on here who recently spent £2-3K for a fully setup boat inc outbouard engine, sails and most things you need to go sailing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perfect-s...ng_Goods_Sailing_Boats_ET&hash=item4ab7241c05

Dylan, you still looking to sell the Slug?

So, say £3k for your boat, £500 for a cheap moorning, another £500 for gear £500 on the day skipper so you have some idea how not to get into trouble, then off you go.

That leaves you £2k to get you going. Sail in the good weather and work when its too rough, cold, etc. Build your experence and you wil be suprised how far you can get in a small boat.

There are lots of people wo sail far and wide in small cheap boats. Dont be fooled into thinking that you need a 40' £100K boat to go sailing.

tom_sail

Visit site
Alex, for what its work here's a different take.

You have £6,500 so why not just buy a small cheap boat (bilge keeler) and stick it on a half tide mooring, then do all the sailing you want.

There are loads of boats available, if you're not too fussy. Here is one on ebay (at £1K when posted but I expect it will rise). I know a chap on here who recently spent £2-3K for a fully setup boat inc outbouard engine, sails and most things you need to go sailing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perfect-s...ng_Goods_Sailing_Boats_ET&hash=item4ab7241c05

Dylan, you still looking to sell the Slug?

So, say £3k for your boat, £500 for a cheap moorning, another £500 for gear £500 on the day skipper so you have some idea how not to get into trouble, then off you go.

That leaves you £2k to get you going. Sail in the good weather and work when its too rough, cold, etc. Build your experence and you wil be suprised how far you can get in a small boat.

There are lots of people wo sail far and wide in small cheap boats. Dont be fooled into thinking that you need a 40' £100K boat to go sailing.

+1 for this great advice! I feel this is the only way to learn and enjoy sailing, crewing is great for getting on the water, but experience comes with owning your boat.

alteredoutlook

Visit site
Do something that widens your horizons - DONT BUY A BOAT AND SAIL IN THE UK (you can do that later in life). Do something like sail to Brazil or the Atlantic circuit - you will meet people from all walks of life and cultures en route. You may also learn new languages etc.

Try to join up with a group of other young people with similar aims. Go out and have adventures! Have a Ball!

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the replys so far,

one thing i forgot to ask is how does sailing to other countries work in regard to visas, are they required or is a passport all you need?

Thanks!

Obviously it depends where you're going..but you're fine without a visa for Europe, Canaries and the Caribbean islands. You do need one for the US (and I think this needs sorting in advance - unlike if you're arriving by airline). One thing to bear in mind, if you're thinking of the Caribbean, is that unless you're signing straight off one boat and onto another they might need to see a return ticket home (or at least evidence of funds to buy one). There may be a way round this with refundable tickets. I haven't looked at this for a while, and the situation may have changed, so worth checking these points! Hope that helps.

alex199020

Visit site
Much as i'd like to own a boat its something i would rather do in later life, once i get a proper job i wont be able to just go off anywhere but i'll still be able to sail within the UK at weekends and on days off fairly easily. Im taking this year to do the stuff i wont be able to later on.

Wheres the best place to ask about visas? Or is it more a case of getting in touch with a countries consulate (if you can) to find out?