Advice: buying and importing a boat from Norway.

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
Hi

In the next few weeks, I’m going to Norway (just North of Trondhiem) to view a Warrior 35 that is up for sale. The boat looks very promising so, all being well, I’m very interested in buying. As Norway is in the EEA, I know I don’t need a CE mark or comply with the RCD. VAT will have to be paid, as the boat has always been owned in Norway. I’ve read the general info from the RYA and HMCE, so what else am I missing?

I guess my main questions are:

What advice can anyone give me about buying/importing a boat from abroad – esp. from Norway, is there anything particular I need to know about Norway regulations, etc?

Can anyone recommend a good Norwegian Surveyor, who can speak English?

If I wanted to sail the boat back to UK (I’ve never sailed Norway or the ‘Northern’ North Sea), what time of year does this become too late in the season, that far north, to really consider it? The crew would be fairly experienced sailors, and would be making passage around August/September. Any advice on this passage welcome.

I’ve heard Norway is extremely expensive. All the standing rig will need to be replaced, probably other things as well, before sailing back. How do the costs of chandler/rigging services compare to UK?

Many Thanks in advance, all advice gratefully received

Cheers

Wayne

(X-posted on liveaboard forum)

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1><font color=red>WANTED: </font color=red>Warrior 35 (pref mkIII)<font size=1>

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Don't know anything about buying a boat in Norway, but as a nation, they are well into all kinds of marine pastimes so you should find plenty facilities.

As to cost, Norway is considered expensive for certain things. Boose especially, and I believe that eating out can also be pricy. They are very keen on fish, so if you are too, then using local shops shouldn't be too bad.

It's over 30 years since I was in Trondhiem, and that was on a 16,000 ton tanker, but I can still remember it as a beautiful part of the world. I've been working on North Sea oil platforms since then, and in my opinion you should have no bother in August/September. What is your intended route? I live in the NE part of Scotland, so if that's your intended landfall and I can be of any assistance, or if you're needing extra crew, send me a PM.

There is an annual race between Banff and Stavanger, one year eastbound, and one year westbound. I believe it's organised by Banff & Stavanger Sailing clubs and You could try searching for either of these on the net. Someone at either should be able to help, or at least give you a contact.

Quite fancy a Warrior 35 myself, but it's a bit out of my price range, I'm afraid.

Good luck,

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
PS - Banff Sailing Club website

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.btinternet.com/~banffsailingclub>http://www.btinternet.com/~banffsailingclub</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
Jim

Many thx for the post. Not got to the passage plan, but will need to get to the west coast (Cardiff), so am thinking bottom of Norway or Denmark across North Sea to Scotland and through the Cal. canal to the W coast.

A lot will depend on what work needs to be done to make her fit for the passage, and how much it will cost to do it in Norway. It may work out more economical to stick her on a truck, which is a shame as I'd quite like to do the passage.

Hoping to fly out and see her this weekend - so we will judge it then. Many thanks for the offer of help, if we do sail her back, I might just take you up on it.

Cheers

Wayne

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1><font color=red>WANTED: </font color=red>Warrior 35 (pref mkIII)<font size=1>