Advice: boat for singlehanded UK circumnavigation

interloper

Visit site
Don’t forget pride of ownership. Never buy an ugly boat. You won’t like it regardless of how well it fulfills every other requirement.

In this thread, there are lots of posts concerning keel configuration, build quality, windward ability, engine type, and whether the propeller will foul lobster pots, but there is no mention of aesthetics. A prolific member of this forum recently changed boats. He stated several reasons for getting rid of his old boat that centered on the motor and the age of the boat, but I could not help but notice that he frequently stated the opinion the boat was ugly.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
It's not the colour (although I did say they were dark), it's more the space, the sagging headlinings, the lack of hot water etc. I'm not particularly big but I struggled to get into the forepeak in some of them when the infill was in and I kept banging my head!

I have found a couple of boats that seem as if they might do the job and be more comfortable to live on. Both very easy to sail singlehanded, seaworthy (Cat B) and comfortable and spacious below. I'm a bit nervous about suggesting them as I suspect they might get shot down in flames but here goes:

Hunter Legend 295 http://www.legend295forsale.co.uk

Hunter Ranger 245 http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=282043

Opinions please?

Just read through the thread which has got drifted by some of our usual personality conflicts.

Just wanted to pick up on this. Is the OP really saying that he wants to circumnavigate the UK but is put off unless his boat has hot water?

Circumnavigation is surely more of a challenge than boiling a kettle of water. How many kettles must you boil on the way around before you exceed the cost of a fitted calorifier, I can't help but wonder... :eek:

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
not known at this address

Don’t forget pride of ownership. Never buy an ugly boat. You won’t like it regardless of how well it fulfills every other requirement.

In this thread, there are lots of posts concerning keel configuration, build quality, windward ability, engine type, and whether the propeller will foul lobster pots, but there is no mention of aesthetics. A prolific member of this forum recently changed boats. He stated several reasons for getting rid of his old boat that centered on the motor and the age of the boat, but I could not help but notice that he frequently stated the opinion the boat was ugly.

who is this shallow bloke?

although still better to sail an ugly boat than not sail at all

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Constable was wrong

very wrong

Dylan

Haha! well he probably had not sailed much in Mirrors.

I think he was not. If he was only talking about the landscapes and subjects in the time of his work, I like to take it as a metaphor for how one ought to regard people and things dear to them, because- perhaps only because- it is encouraging to do so. I think it is a very inspiring thought to muse on before declaring one's distaste for the appearance of some thing, at the very least.

Wave22

Visit site
Just read through the thread which has got drifted by some of our usual personality conflicts.

Just wanted to pick up on this. Is the OP really saying that he wants to circumnavigate the UK but is put off unless his boat has hot water?

Absolutely! I didn't specifically say hot water was a priority, I mentioned it amongst a number of other factors, but I do think that when you're spending two or three months aboard then comfort and convenience is a factor. Don't you? It's different if you're just going for a week or so but three months is a long time. Showering under a kettle is ok but it does tend to take the skin off.

But anyway, could we get back to the boats...?!:rolleyes::)

Last edited:

dylanwinter

comfort schumfort

Absolutely! I didn't specifically say hot water was a priority, I mentioned it amongst a number of other factors, but I do think that when you're spending two or three months aboard then comfort and convenience is a factor. Don't you? I't different if you're just going for a week or so but three months is a long time.

But anyway, could we get back to the boats...?!:rolleyes::)

comfort schmumfort.

committment is what you need

what I want to hear about is rufty tufty hard men battling the elements in unpheasably small and damp boats

Dylan

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site

interloper,

there's a lot of truth in what you say, some people call it the ' Row Away Factor', as ones' heart swells looking back as one rows away.

Which may well explain the look of some modern AWB boats one cheerfully pushes the trolley away from while facing the way shorewards along the pontoon !

I did state my pet theory in a recent thread about boat looks v functionality, if it was possible to combine the function of a Centaur with the looks of a Contessa 32 and feel on the helm of an Anderson 22, no-one would ever need any other boat !

dylanwinter

interloper,

there's a lot of truth in what you say, some people call it the ' Row Away Factor', as ones' heart swells looking back as one rows away.

Which may well explain the look of some modern AWB boats one cheerfully pushes the trolley away from while facing the way shorewards along the pontoon !

I did state my pet theory in a recent thread about boat looks v functionality, if it was possible to combine the function of a Centaur with the looks of a Contessa 32 and feel on the helm of an Anderson 22, no-one would ever need any other boat !

no, no, no

surely if one could combine the function of an Anderson 22 with the looks of an Anderson 22 and the feel on the helm of an Anderson 22 there would be no other boats

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
interloper,

Are you saying that a Contessa 32 looks better than an A22? Surely not! Have you got some pictures of an A22 we can feast our eyes on?

Seajet

Visit site
no, no, no

surely if one could combine the function of an Anderson 22 with the looks of an Anderson 22 and the feel on the helm of an Anderson 22 there would be no other boats

Dylan,

on reflection you're probably right.

Angus,

I'm afraid we only have such pictures in our Gentlemens Evening Entertainment Clubs. For people of other inclinations I understand there are the Grimsby and Brighton branches.

Andy

sarabande

Visit site
Westhinder,

yes Rival 34's are spiffing when offshore on blue water journeys; however they are not that great to windward, and the OP will need all the help he can get clawing away from lee shores on his proposed route.

Umm, that is rubbish. Get a Rival 34, with reasonable sails and cleanish hull into a groove, and she will sit in the slot as close as you wish.

(ex Rival 34 sailer)