Add a 'shore power' socket?

citygent111

Visit site
Ok, further to my thread about the batteries (Thread 'Battery selector' Battery selector )

I have a socket to add to the boat which would allow me to bring mains power aboard.

In our caravan we connect to mains which powers the 230v sockets and charges the batteries.

Not fussed about sockets, although would be convenient to have 1 in the cuddy, but being able to charge batteries would be really helpful.

This is the socket I have...

Attachments

• 20230508_154439.jpg
    20230508_154439.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42

Mister E

Visit site
You need to look into this properly, if you only have the socket and not the RCD circuit breaker it is not easy.
If you look at camping suppliers for a mains lead complete with safety devices.

st599

Visit site
Shouldn't you be using a mounted plug (male), the socket (female) should be on the end of the cable.

If you mount a socket, then you'll have the live pins of the plug exposed.

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
The easy way is an extension lead with a few 13amp sockets, but they're a pain. You'd be relying on the RCD in the marina supply, but it's far more likely to kill you by tripping you up than electrocuting you.

The proper way is that inlet - I hope it's an inlet with pins, because that's what you need, so the outlet on the end of your lead has holes, keeping the shocking stuff away from wayward fingers - feeding a box with an RCD and two circuit breakers, one for the battery charger, one for 13 amp sockets. Use flexible 2.5mm wire, not domestic cable. If that makes sense to you, you may know enough to do it safely. If not, get someone who does to "help" you (they do it, you pass the tools and make tea). Leccy in a damp environment can be nasty stuff

Always fit more sockets in more places than you think you'll need. Sockets and wire are cheap, not having enough or in the right places is a nuisance long after you've forgotten the few quid you saved.

VicS

Visit site
One of these campsite hook up leads might be suitable for occasional use. They incorporate an mcb for overload protection and an RCD for protection from electrocution.

1683627383304.png
For a more permanent installation a "garage consumer unit" may be used, They incorporate an rcd and usually two mcbs , ! x 6 amps and 1x 16 amps. The 16 amp mcb can supply a small number of sockets and the 6 amp one can be used for a battery charger.

ithet

Visit site
Shouldn't you be using a mounted plug (male), the socket (female) should be on the end of the cable.

If you mount a socket, then you'll have the live pins of the plug exposed.
Agreed, looks like an outlet socket, not an inlet plug.

Refueler

Visit site
Noting your various posts on the forums ... I suggest a good book that covers just about everything you'ļl need ...

Alastair Garrod : Electrics Afloat

ISBN : 0-7136-6149-6

Written in collaboration with Practical Boat Owner ...

Not only does it cover subjects in plain understandable language - it also is careful to cover the pitfalls of some designs. There are many books out there - but this one IMHO is well worth getting hold of.

citygent111

Visit site
Noting your various posts on the forums ... I suggest a good book that covers just about everything you'ļl need ...

Alastair Garrod : Electrics Afloat

ISBN : 0-7136-6149-6

Written in collaboration with Practical Boat Owner ...

Not only does it cover subjects in plain understandable language - it also is careful to cover the pitfalls of some designs. There are many books out there - but this one IMHO is well worth getting hold of.
That's great thanks, I'll look it up!

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Get one of the camping style extension lead which is complete with rcd and 3 sockets. I mounted mine inside with an external socket in the cockpit(as you show). Then you'll need a lead from the marina socket to your socket. Caravan & camping shops are usually cheaper than Marine shops!

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Get one of the camping style extension lead which is complete with rcd and 3 sockets. I mounted mine inside with an external socket in the cockpit(as you show). Then you'll need a lead from the marina socket to your socket. Caravan & camping shops are usually cheaper than Marine shops!
Use the one that VicS posted complete with lead. Ideal for your situation, as I read it, and less hassle and confusion!

citygent111

Visit site
Following on from the power supply question then, if we were to connect to shore power using the camping style extension....

I' d like to be able to charge both batteries whenever we're alongside a mains supply be that in a mari a or if the boatis on the drive at home.

Can anyone recommend a mains battery charger that will connect to both batteries at the same time? Or any other solution thats worked for you?

Cheers

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Actually remembered I had that exact item in my loft from our old camping days! Power sorted. Thanks everyone
Might be an idea to get it given a "once over" (PAT Tested) Make sure the connections are all OK and that the trips work correctly. Especially if it has been lying around for some time.

Last edited: