ACR PLB which one to buy?

TSB240

Visit site
Don't know if it's launched yet but have you considered the Sea Angel SA16 combined AIS/PLB....

charles_reed

Visit site
There seem to be three versions that do much the same job. I can't see me texting someone so the only advantage of going for the most expensive one is the longer battery life.

Am I missing something?

Yes, rather a lot
the first two ResQLink are exactly the same but the + one has a 30hr battery life instead of 24 hr. The AquaLink is non-buoyant or waterproof and the AquaLink View has not 121.5Mhz capability.
The SAR Link is limited to US-military personnel (that's the one with 2-way satellite comms uses Iridium for that and the normal COSPAS-SARSAT 406 only for location) and has no FCC approval.
Perhaps this helps:-
https://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/406link/#sthash.VpsCfGtU.dpbs

Can't blame you exploiting silly people like me who'll look it up for you. ;-)

aluijten

Visit site
I wonder why you would buy a PLB in the first place. An EPIRB has some distinct advantages. Not in the least, it floats. It has better battery life and my personal assessment is that it stands better chance of transmitting your signal because of the position of the antenna. That may be a lot worse for a PLB that depends on the way you attach it to your life-vest.
In addition to a EPIRB I would consider a AIS/DSC beacon and that can be received by everyone in your vicinity (assuming they carry DSC and AIS). These beacons are very small and can be carried on your life-vest. It would pinpoint you position much easier to all in a few mile radius compared to a PLB.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
I wonder why you would buy a PLB in the first place. An EPIRB has some distinct advantages. Not in the least, it floats. It has better battery life and my personal assessment is that it stands better chance of transmitting your signal because of the position of the antenna. That may be a lot worse for a PLB that depends on the way you attach it to your life-vest.
In addition to a EPIRB I would consider a AIS/DSC beacon and that can be received by everyone in your vicinity (assuming they carry DSC and AIS). These beacons are very small and can be carried on your life-vest. It would pinpoint you position much easier to all in a few mile radius compared to a PLB.

I have an EPIRB. But I single hand a fair bit so a PLB would be my last hope if I went over the side especially at night.

Had not considered the AIS thing. Mind you where I sail I don't think there are that many AIS users.

prv

Visit site
Had not considered the AIS thing. Mind you where I sail I don't think there are that many AIS users.

The idea of an AIS beacon is to let your own crew bring the boat back to you. They were originally invented for racing crews in the Southern Ocean, where someone going over the side at 20 knots in huge swells would be out of sight almost immediately.

If you sail singlehanded they're not really an appropriate choice.

Pete

Gin

Visit site
There seem to be three versions that do much the same job. I can't see me texting someone so the only advantage of going for the most expensive one is the longer battery life.

Am I missing something?

I had an ACR ResQFix PLB (2006 model) which was fine but it relied upon a neoprene flotation pouch which had to be removed to raise the aerial and it had an integral battery which was not user replaceable.

I can't say what difficulties would be encountered if deployed when overboard (cold fingers, extraction from pouch etc) but the battery became an issue as the whole device had to be returned to Sartech in the UK for 'servicing and battery replacement' which costs about £150 taking into account the return secure postage both ways. It was uneconomic, so I replaced it with a McMurdo Fastfind Plus, which is a big yellow brick but it required no pouch and the user can replace the battery easily at about £75- I believe there are now smaller and lighter McMurdo units

prv

Visit site
Given the fact I just bought a new Ocean Signal EPIRB for 549 Euro (= 425 GBP)

Ah, that's good to hear. Last time I looked, they were all around £600. PLBs tend to be about £200, sometimes a little less.

EDIT: Wow, prices really have come down. Cactus have an Ocean Signal EPIRB1 for £280...

Pete

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
I believe there are now smaller and lighter McMurdo units

Yes, but they don't float and they don't have user-replaceable batteries, so the "big yellow brick" is still what you need if those are important to you.

Personally I don't think they matter all that much. AFAIK no PLB will operate correctly while floating, so it's just a matter of not losing it. A bit of string will do that (mine is tethered to the grab bag), and people are increasingly securing them directly to lifejackets. And rated battery life is up to six years now; I think I may have seen one with seven. That's thirty quid a year, after which I wouldn't consider that it owes me anything, and the technology will no doubt have moved on in that time so that a replacement is desirable anyway. By sacrificing flotation and replaceable batteries to allow smaller, lighter and cheaper units, I think the manufacturers have made the right trade-off.

Pete

G12

Visit site
I wonder why you would buy a PLB in the first place.

I had similar thoughts myself and what convinced me is that in a few recent accidents - Can't remember the boat's name now but the maxi that the keel fell off in the Fastnet a few years ago as well as another one - might have been Cheeky Rafiki - The rescue services were alerted by PLB's. The guys didn't have time to get the main ship's unit fired up and were all wearing PLB's. I also sail by myself loads so decided this would be a good idea.