AA Rechargeable Batteries Lithium 1.5v

Rappey

Visit site
Older cameras use to eat power something terrible. I remember only getting around 50 pics before the battery went flat. Modern ones including powerful dslr,s last so long now.

JohnGC

Visit site
There is some unit confusion here.

More than one poster is quoting mWh figures as mAh. This make the capacity seem better than they are by 50%.

EG 3500mWh @ 1.5V is 2333mAh. That isn't to suggest the batteries recommend are bad.

John

Rappey

Visit site
There is some unit confusion here
I did see that in the last link I posted, but since most cheap batteries including lead acid are from China the quoted figures have to be taken with a pinch of salt anyway..
I bought some chinese lithium makita batteries at a fraction of the genuine price and they have proven to be at least 90% of the genuine product.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Older cameras use to eat power something terrible. I remember only getting around 50 pics before the battery went flat. Modern ones including powerful dslr,s last so long now.
My favourite camera is a Leica R6.2, which I inherited. The battery only works the self-timer and the exposure meter, so you can let it go flat or even take it out and the amera still works fine. I kept it because it's such an astonishing piece of engineering: 1/2000 s from clockwork, for crying out loud.

Rappey

Visit site
I have a draw full of old film and digital cameras. Were the latest tech when they came out, worth next to nothing now .
Now I'm more than happy with the amazing camera on my phone, crazy zoom, hdr, 4k 60fps and so many othervfeatures. Give it a few more years and my phone will be added to the pile of old out of date phones ?

penberth3

Visit site
My favourite camera is a Leica R6.2, which I inherited. The battery only works the self-timer and the exposure meter, so you can let it go flat or even take it out and the amera still works fine. I kept it because it's such an astonishing piece of engineering: 1/2000 s from clockwork, for crying out loud.

I think Nikon had a 1/4000 mechanical shutter. Blink and you miss it! Some beautiful mechanisms around.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I don't understand. If the shutter speed is 1/4000 of a second then the shutter is open and letting in light for only 1/4000 of a second which is, as penberth3 says, is a lovely mechanical construction.
I think what he means is that is that on the R6.2 (say) the shutter is a focal plane one in which one curtain slides open and another one closes after it, so that a thin strip of exposure travels across the film. Any given bit is exposed for only 1/2000 s (say) but exposure is going on for considerably longer.

penberth3

Visit site
I don't understand. If the shutter speed is 1/4000 of a second then the shutter is open and letting in light for only 1/4000 of a second which is, as penberth3 says, is a lovely mechanical construction.

Richard

I had to think about it. SLR mechanical shutters are two metal blades or cloth blinds, one follows the other across the film. There's a gap between them as they move, the width of the gap is varied to give different exposure times. Vertical "strips" of the frame are exposed for the, say 1/4000 sec, but it takes longer than that for the gap to travel across the frame. Not a very good explanation.

alan_d

Visit site

Richard
Focal plane shutter - moves a blind with a variable-width slot in it across the front of the film. If the slot is very narrow. each part of the film is exposed for a very short time, but it takes longer to expose the whole frame. Causes odd effects like golf clubs with bent-looking shafts while driving and horses with elongated heads in photo-finishes. (Damn, must type faster.)

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I have a draw full of old film and digital cameras. Were the latest tech when they came out, worth next to nothing now .
Now I'm more than happy with the amazing camera on my phone, crazy zoom, hdr, 4k 60fps and so many othervfeatures. Give it a few more years and my phone will be added to the pile of old out of date phones ?
Might be interesting to check out what sort of prices similar models are fetching on eBay etc. I sold a middle of the road Pentax SLR and an old Finepix point and shoot digital with very low resolution by modern standards, and made enough to buy a reasonable modern DSLR plus change.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
With USB port.

Thought I might give them a punt. Round about £10 for two.

Any feedback to report ?

TIA
I looked at them and ended up with rechargeable AA and AAA batteries from Ikea - they are some of the best rechargeable batteries on the market, widely believed to be rebadged Eneloops.

IMO the USB-chargable lithiums are just a little bit expensive - e.g when I need 4 of them in my scanner it is £20 worth of batteries tried up (hardly used) rather than £5.50 worth. It's 4x as much if you drop a torch over the side. It doesn't matter to me if I have to swap and recharge them a little more often.

Also, you can recharge these regular AA and AAA batteries using 12v / USB

Kelpie

Visit site
How do they make a 1.5v lithium- I thought the basic chemistry was around 3.2-3.7v per cell. Does every AA have a tiny transformer inside?

Abestea

Visit site
I have a Goal Zero Nomad solar panel which came with a AA battery power unit.

I used to have batteries in the handheld VHF and a second set charging through solar panel.

Power bank can be plugged into a pc or plug with a cable and not require solar panel.

Very handy for charging mobile and tablet too.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
How do they make a 1.5v lithium- I thought the basic chemistry was around 3.2-3.7v per cell. Does every AA have a tiny transformer inside?
Good question. Looks like this:

4DGU1OV.png

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Very interesting responses, Thanks.

I've ordered a couple for novelty value as much as anything else.

They came with a single charging cable that charges both batteries . As mentioned above, only taking 1.5 hours to charge and 1.5v may appeal to many forumites.

They state that you should stay present whilst charging ???

Will report back at a later date .