A Nice Day Out

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Finally got the boat out of the marina for the first time yesterday. New starter battery fitted and coots had hatched and departed so quickly moved nest to 'another location'.

Through Chertsey lock with its nice new timber lipping and relief lockie wearing the traditional uniform (new gear regs from next month apparently.
Then a pleasant run in the sunshine up Laleham Reach. Waved to Brad on Oudrageous soaking up the sun at the Laleham moorings so rang Cavi to see where he was to be told that rugby was more important and he was off to see Harlequins.

Arrived at Penton Hook to find lots of the vertical piles in the lock have been removed and replaced with more bollards - all looking very tidy and ship shape. Lockie here also in full rig!

Onwards to Staines and plenty of moorings free so stayed on the town steps then took a wander in the town before a home made sandwich lunch in the sun on the poop deck and a leisurely run back to Chertsey.

There - you see - I can post without being contentious ! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris_d

Visit site
Yes we were very surprised to see the relief lockie at Benson in full uniform, was going to take the proverbial but he looked at bit serious, are we supposed to salute or something /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No relief lockie again though at Clifton (handwinding only) and Cleeve this time, although Cleeve does have out of hours power. This seems to be policy now, will be interesting in the summer.

Chris_d

Visit site
No unfortunately Cookhams a bit to far for us to do in a weekend, wish we were a bit further down, thats the best bit of the whole river in my opinion.

TrueBlue

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes we were very surprised to see the relief lockie at Benson in full uniform, was going to take the proverbial but he looked at bit serious, are we supposed to salute or something /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No relief lockie again though at Clifton (handwinding only) and Cleeve this time, although Cleeve does have out of hours power. This seems to be policy now, will be interesting in the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of the longer standing staff that I spoke to were "upset" at the change; the kit gave them an air of authority - which will now be lost - everyone will look like a Summer Assistant.
We always acknowledge No:1s with an appropriate gesture, and ask "is someone important coming to visit?". Often get an amusing reply...

Summer assistants don't start until 15th. May (normally), so the unseasonable weather has caught boaters unaware - so expect more locks unmanned at lunchtime or days off. Fewer and fewer people are prepared to work for the minimum wages and it's been difficult to recruit SA's. I think one of the qualifications required is that they speak English, so no Polish Plumbers either.

Please don't moor on the layby if you don't want to wind the lock at luncheon; there will always be an idiot (me) prepared to wind away....

Chris_d

Visit site
Ahh... is the new uniform a tee shirt or something then, the Benson lockie had full blazer, tie and peaked hat on /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif was this some sort of protest? Certainly all the lock keepers I have spoken to this year seem a bit upset with the EA and its upper management.

We always work the locks manualy by the way, I too get annoyed when boats stop on the laybys for lunch, although its surprising how many don't even know you can work locks yourself.

bradtarga34

Visit site
Nice to see you on Sunday Tone, another gorgeous day out on the river. I was just in recovery mode when you went past, getting ready for the next session in Staines. Saw you moored up in a nice handy spot in Staines, and glad to hear you had a good day as well, may there be many more to come! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

oldgit

Visit site
And there was me sitting by the phone all day waiting for it to ring....................... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Other threads that may be of interest