A new royal yacht Britannia?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
What does everyone think of the idea of building a superyacht replacement for the old royal yacht?

In a recent survey about 55% of the population think it's a good idea.

Most of the current proposals involve private cash which is used to construct the boat on the basis that the government guarantees to lease the boat back for x number of weeks per year for royal duties.

Generally I support the concept of a royal yacht. Purely because it's a good advery for Great Britain plc. However I think the private finance concept is rather cheapskate and undignified.

Far better would to wait until Prince William gets the top job and build a 70m ultra elegant and sophisticated yacht for the exclusive use of the roal family and their guests.

lanason

Visit site
Yes - I do like the idea of a "National flag Ship". Money far better spend on a "Royal Plane" - that symbolises the UK - say a Boeing (oops thats American) or a er Airbus (oo thats French), or a Gypsy Moth. Ah I know a BAe 146, darn it they already have one of those.

Ok lets buy a boat.

But surely when we go abroad shouldn't THEY host us. It seems crazy for the cost to take our own piece of Engerland, lets invite them over here and do it in style - palaces, castles etc.......

Adrian
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>More Pics of Kelisha</A> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
Naah! We don't want a Royal Yacht. All it would do is increase UK's prestige worldwide & generate business. Far better we spend the money on molycoddling criminals and providing household appliances to asylum seekers.

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

coliholic

Visit site
Ah but a bit of dilemma there really with the Made in Britain thing surely. Under EU rules and regs, large government conntracts like this have to go out to tender and be open to any and all EU companies to bid for.

You can just see it now can't you.

Royal Yacht Britannia II, A real EU victory.

Built in Italy, with German MAN engines (or maybe Volvo's on outdrives), Spanish marble flooring, Swedish electronics, French maids, Danish pastries, Belgian beer, Portugese Men of War, Dutch caps oops I'm getting a bit carried away now.

But at least it'd have a British Flag on it. But probably made in China.