A Greek Rules & Regs Question?

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
We have a yacht laid up in Greece, she's sub 10m so doesn't require an ongoing Transit Log, though we did register our arrival with the Authorities in 2006 and get the necessary bit of paper.

A friend has enquired about borrowing the boat for a few months to cruise around the North Ionian and possibly a circuit of the Pelopenese.

I'm happy to lend him the boat and provide an appropriate letter of confirmation for him to wave around, whilst my insurers (for a modest fee) are happy to extend the insurance cover; bearing in mind that this is not a charter, this would be all that's required in the UK. Does anyone know if this will be OK in Greece (I doubt it) or are there likely to be any problems/paperwork we'd need to arrange with the Greek Authorities before he sets sail?

The yacht is British (SSR) Registered, though the friend I'm planning to lend the boat to is not an EU citizen, which probably doesn't help.

Come on Jim B; I rely on you for the answer to all questions Greek. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
I imagine you're listed as an owner of the vessel on the SSR and your friend isn't. I assume you had a DEKRA (stamp collecting document) listing you as owner and as captain. This has to change - and one possiblity may be that you no longer need a DEKRA (being under 10m). In which case, problem solved. Just arrange for friend to carry a letter appointing him skipper.

If the DEKRA still has to be carried (albeit, not stamped) two possibilities; first, sell a share of your boat to your friend for a quid, and get him listed as a co-owner on the SSR. He takes the SSR to the port office, and asks for his name to be added to the DEKRA.

Second, and more normal, appoint him as skipper (as apart from owner). The easy way to appoint him is for both of you to go to the port police with your current bit of paper, and ask to have his name added as captain. The more difficult way is to give him a letter nominating him as captain. It's only more difficult because some offices (not many) may insist on a notarised letter of appointment, and then ask for a Greek notarised translation!

I have skippered and delivered other people's boats quite often; usually attending the local port police office with the owner. I've used letters of appointment to add my name as skipper to the DEKRA three times, twice with no hassle, and once with a week to-ing and fro-ing between faxes, lawyers and the port police office. Some you win . . .

His nationality should make no difference, but he should realise that his visa will limit his personal stay in Greece - or the EU. Typically, to 90 days maximum. Exceeding this attracts a robust fine.

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
I sailed with someone on a non EU passport. She was only allowed a 30 days visa in London. " EU Rules"

But we got this verbally extended another month by the police in Preveza.

Come our departure in Athens on a Sunday morning she was fined nearly a thousand Euros. No ifs or buts.

The Preveza police officer concerned, amongst others, later just shrugged his shoulders.

Happy days.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Interesting. That's the second report I've recently had about a 30 visa limit being applied. For some countries, the EU does only offer a 30 day stay . . .What nationality was her passport?

And visas - only the date and permission stamped in the passport counts! Ignore all verbal advice! (well, you know that now . . .)

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
Dear Jim

Seven years ago, before my wife was my wife she got a sixty day visa from the Beijing embassy. After we married we applied at the London embassy and several times they insisted EU rules do not permit anything but a 30 day max visa valid for three months.

The rub is that you can get it renewed back in London, as my wife tried but not until the validity of the first visa expires! EG you have to wait up to a couple of months. We overcame this by cancelling the first visa and issuing another. But an absolute drag having to fly home to renew a visa.

The whole visa thing has little to do with security and a lot to do with raising cash. The people in the Chinese consulate in London work for nothing for the experience, so most of the operation is low outlay for a high cash flow.

I respect the culture of other countries but it is taxing at times.

All the best

Jim

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Well according to British politicians, visa control is all part of border control . . .

When I quote 'normal' visa requirements, I'm using the term rather loosely. I mean non-EU citizens who do not require to apply for a visa before arriving at a UK (or EU) border. Date of entry and any conditions of entry (like period of validity) are then attached to the passport by some means - stamp or stapled leaflet.

Visas, as such, are whole different kettle of fish, with wonderfully arcane rules depending on what you're coming for, which country you're a citizen of, what UK's relations are like with that country, what restrictions that country puts on UK visitors . . . nothing really to do with cash. All politics.

Source of information for all things visa for UK is http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ , published by 'The Border Agency'. And I thought that was something to do with Hadrian's Wall and the keeping the woad wearing picts and celts at bay. Oh well.

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
I simpathise. both me and wife,who are uk citizens.have greek residency.we spend 50% or more in India.We are owners and directors of an Indian company,with property in India.go to the indian embassy in Athens .sorry we can only issue 3 months tourist visa. you have to go to uk.get letters from accountant in india and jv letters.better 1 year business visa.
try to better this, get 3 year appointment as consultant with indian company.paper work you would not beleive.attested employment contract et al. 1 year employment visa.come back every year and pay.only advantage is that i have a 1 year employment visa,which allows me to pay local tax and get an indian driving licence.what to do